The Rarest New Wave Single….Ever?
Posted: 08 April 2009 04:39 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2006-06-07

Interesting band being discussed at the New Wave outpost:

http://www.nwoutpost.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10641

After 3 years I finally got a new turntable and some decent software, so I have now been able to clean up these files properly and added the cover art. You can get them here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/214785762/SeeingRed.rar

http://mineforlife.blogspot.com

Original post 3 years ago.

Yeah, one heck of a boast, I know. Here’s the story. Back in the mid eighties, two of my cousins were in a short-lived band on Guernsey (Channel Islands - UK). The music scene on this tiny island has always been low key. They recorded one 7” single at the island’s solitary recording studio and pressed up a few copies. I’m guessing about 100. Family and friends were given a copy, but I doubt if they sold more than a handful. After 20 years, I don’t know of anyone else who has a copy of this. At the time, I didn’t like the record too much, but recently it’s kind of grown on me. So here for your aural delight are the respective A and B sides of the one and only single from Seeing Red. Apologies for the poor sound quality - I have not tried to clean it up too much. Let me know what you think!

Seeing Red - Ice (A Side)
Seeing Red - Weekahead (B Side)

Posted: 09 April 2009 04:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  64
Joined  2008-07-04

‘ice’ went in a completely different direction than i expected after those first few brooding seconds, and is a catchy little tune.  i dig the steady gloom of ‘weekahead’ a bit more, but this is definitely a nice slice of obscure wave.  thanx for sharing!

Posted: 11 April 2009 02:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2006-06-07

No problem Frankieteardrop.
The owner of the 7” just posted this about how truly rare this record is.

I’ve had several email requests for me to “track down” another vinyl copy of this single. When I said it was rare, I wasn’t kidding. I’m not in day-to-day contact with my cousins (one’s in London, one’s in New Zealand) and as far as I know I own the only copy of this still in existence. I’m not planning to part with it any time soon.

So, enjoy the rips - it’s the best I can do!!

http://mineforlife.blogspot.com

Posted: 24 April 2009 02:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  55
Joined  2007-05-15

Seems erucsbo has a copy up on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=170324968467&Category=306&_trkparms=algo=LVI&its=I&otn=1

Posted: 25 April 2009 03:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  840
Joined  2006-03-03

could it be a coincidence?
something tells me someone has a crate of these somewhere grin

Posted: 25 April 2009 06:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  170
Joined  2005-12-10

Oystein,

There is no crate of the Seeing Red records.  I can tell you right now that there is none.  I could only get 2 copies.  So good luck trying to win this auction.  And if you keep posting on forums based on voices in your head then I think the minimalsynthpolice will be coming after you.  They know you have been being very bad.  You already owe someone around $300, and have not been paying that person.  Get off the forums, and get on Pay Pal please.

Thanks,
obscure

Posted: 25 April 2009 07:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  501
Joined  2007-02-21

And then again, it’s not that it hasn’t happenend before, has it? Them crates appearing out of nowhere and artists/lucky finders making a tiny post-career fortune out of them 8)

But everybody with half a brain knows that en route to collector super-stardom, you’re always taking the risk of regretting having bought copy nr. 1 for big bucks seeing the price copy nr. 28 goes for… :wink:

Cool song, Ice, BTW. Thanks for sharing!

Posted: 25 April 2009 02:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  330
Joined  2005-12-14

Mmmm, without even hearing the songs : 1985 : not my cup of tea. :wink:

Posted: 25 April 2009 10:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-21
[quote author=“minicold”]Mmmm, without even hearing the songs : 1985 : not my cup of tea. :wink:

Going off-topic, are we? Putting a ban on poor old ‘85, eeh?  :wink:

Think we already had a thread with lists what cool stuff got released in ‘81 and ‘82 aka the Golden Years. Though, for me 1985 is definitely still in, the milk only turned sour for good in bloody 1986. Unless your EBM fiend, that is, of course.

Posted: 26 April 2009 12:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  560
Joined  2006-03-18

“Though, for me 1985 is definitely still in, the milk only turned sour for good in bloody 1986. Unless your EBM fiend, that is, of course.”

Surely you are an EBM fRiend?  :wink:

Signature 

Brian Eno sank my battleship

Posted: 26 April 2009 04:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-21

If I told you I own more italo records than EBM records these days, would I regret it?  :wink:

Posted: 26 April 2009 05:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  122
Joined  2005-12-27
[quote author=“falck”]If I told you I own more italo records than EBM records these days, would I regret it?  :wink:

LOL

Posted: 26 April 2009 08:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-21

EBM thread anyone?  8)

It’s really not that difficult to outnumber them ca. fifteen 1986 and beyond records, you know….  :wink:

Posted: 27 April 2009 03:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  55
Joined  2007-05-15

[quote author=“reactorlgtn”]could it be a coincidence?
something tells me someone has a crate of these somewhere grin

Ahh yes, that Dark White thing…not to mention the GEMM.com thing. He seems to have a lot of “things” happening.

I wonder why he changed his eBay name?

**edit**

He seems to be taking a bit of a beating based on his posts. Anyone care to help him out?

http://www.nwoutpost.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10641

I have to say I’ve vowed not to buy any further items from him…not that I was ever a volume buyer from him.

Posted: 27 April 2009 07:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  840
Joined  2006-03-03

[quote author=“obscure”]Oystein,

There is no crate of the Seeing Red records.  I can tell you right now that there is none.  I could only get 2 copies.  So good luck trying to win this auction.  And if you keep posting on forums based on voices in your head then I think the minimalsynthpolice will be coming after you.  They know you have been being very bad.  You already owe someone around $300, and have not been paying that person.  Get off the forums, and get on Pay Pal please.

Thanks,
obscure

Stephen,

That was uncalled for.

I do not accept your hinting that I’m some kind of a non-paying bidder here on the forum. I got an email from you today about this, and paid within ten minutes of reading that, also explaining as well as apologising for the delay.

It has appeared to me to be common practice on ebay to accept payment within 7 days, I was not much later than that.

As for there not being a crate of this single, well, clearly a 7” single record is a mass produced item, and if it has not been distributed the copies must be somewhere. We can discuss this after the auction has clocked out, if you feel there’s anything to discuss.

Øystein

Posted: 27 April 2009 10:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-21

Reading the New Wave Outpost thread and the related auction, I MUST SAY !!!! THIS REALLY IS !!!!!! GETTING !!! GOOD !!!! FUN !!!!!!

And after all those months (years?) we finally have a new suspect FOR !!!! THE PERSON !!!! BEHIND !!!! THE MINIMAL !!!! SYNTH !!!!! POLICE !!!!!!  :wink:

Now when it comes to quantities, it looks impossible to tell, the band might have ritually burned the remaining copies in the garden (re. the Neural Circus story), they might have ended up on a dump deposit or it is one of those magical crates again. But unless a trustworthy source confirms the 7"s have been destroyed swearing by the life of their toy frog, there very well might be a crate.

Anyways, one thing I’d say is safe to say: this is about bidding on the (presumably) rarest, not on the best minimal synth single.  Just my poor taste, of course. 8)

1 of 4

kirlian camera + solid space lyrics      |     Dark Day ››