1 of 1
wondering why?
Posted: 11 December 2005 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  170
Joined  2005-12-10

a lot of the minimal synth bands from the 70s/80s got worse as time progressed a la neon, neon judgment, human league, depeche mode, and so on…  I just wanted to know what other people think of this strange phenomenon.  Do you think the synths ruined the bands or that these bands in general were at their best when they we’re totally innocent, because they we’re less restrictive creatively.  Anyway,  just wondering, because this is a topic that comes up a lot at my minimal synth dinner parites smile

obscure

Posted: 11 December 2005 03:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  117
Joined  2005-12-07

its freakin Madonnas fault bra..really as a musician ,I think its the instruments…nowadays they play themselves…..I think it also has to do with the fact that the 70s entering the 80s new wave..a lot of the music industry took a chunk of these old once unknown bands.. they gave them an offer they couldnt refuse..same happend to the punk scene…some became something else.more commercial i guess.. another possibility is that ,well if we are talking about the same unknown bands, most, if not all,never released much music..mostly because it was either a hobby,band broke up,synth dude was cheating on the vocalist’s boyfriend,when on to do better things,etc…hmmmmm culture club broke it off because of a spicy issue….. with lots of tissues ..heh?other bands that stuck to it were not going to release the same style of music for ever.. look at depeche mode..we all love that good old depeche mode…i still like everything else, but the older stuff yum…I think depeche mode is a good example….

so in your next minimal talk soup -someones dipping their nacho into your moog’s recipe sauce,twice! i hate that- and they bust out with that question?? you tell’m Madonna gave boy-geroge a foo foo job during the “Black celebration”!! 101010101010101010101

yours,R

Signature 

NO USER SERVICABLE PARTS INSIDE

Posted: 11 December 2005 03:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-07

oh yeah,

299043412_m.jpg

Signature 

Posted: 12 December 2005 01:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  727
Joined  2005-12-05

“it’s not the economy stupid”

Even when some of the original artists (human league, vice versa etc.) became commercial there were hundreds of new bedroom and garage musicians taking their place, so i don’t buy that argument.

No, it’s about zeitgeist. You think it’s a coincidence new wave / minimal collapsed around ‘85? Don’t think so bra. FUCK glasnost i perestrojka.

Signature 

Delicious toes are swimming in my soup

Posted: 12 December 2005 02:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-05

Also: a lot of bands changed their sound from minimal to EBM, powerpop etc. Not that commercial either but it still is crap.

Signature 

Posted: 12 December 2005 08:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  644
Joined  2005-12-04

from vice versa to ABC….sad!

Signature 

It’s all about the aboveground!

Posted: 12 December 2005 12:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-05
[quote author=“cr-78”]from vice versa to ABC….sad!

that’s not sad, it’s genious. One year still performing in your pyama onstage, the next year in a golden glittersuit on top of the pops. Maximum respect.
If you gonna sellout do it in a grand fashion. It doesnt get more new wave then that.

Signature 

Posted: 13 December 2005 02:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  644
Joined  2005-12-04

I didn’t say they sold out.
The change was like night and day…..very sad. That’s all.

Signature 

It’s all about the aboveground!

Posted: 14 December 2005 01:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-07

your telling me the music industry has nothing to do with it????..your funny man….its the oldest story in the industrie’s book..yes many more bedroom bands, but Im not sure what your point is…....money always talks man…“girl you know its true”!!....  BLAP…...  oooo oooo oooo, you’re wrong….

Signature 

Posted: 15 December 2005 05:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-05

oops you’re right. I read the original poster wrong. The artists themselves couldnt resist the money…fame…girls

Signature 

Posted: 15 December 2005 07:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-07

industry’s,industry’s,industry’s book! 

you are forgiven my son…..

yours,
Brock Landers

Signature 

Posted: 28 December 2005 04:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2005-12-26

....or to ‘new beat’  LOL

Signature 

...either epileptic or dead.

Posted: 05 January 2006 05:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  100
Joined  2005-12-25
[quote author=“Spartak”]No, it’s about zeitgeist. You think it’s a coincidence new wave / minimal collapsed around ‘85?

I think there’s def. something to that.  Many of my fav. minimal/cold/wave seem informed by the cold war and the threat of nuclear oblivion.  Even the general ‘dehumanized’ aesthetic of many of these bands seems to me to say ‘I feel powerless’ more than ‘I want to be a robot.’  And has it really changed?  The end could still be nigh…

time to write songs comparing emotions to inanimate objects!

Signature 

b l e a k

Posted: 21 January 2006 05:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  330
Joined  2005-12-14

In my opinion, you should not forget that a lot of these so called minimal electro bands got this label just because they played the instruments that were available at that time, and thus NOT because they really want to make the music half of this forum (excuse me the word) is masturbating on. :wink:

Posted: 19 March 2006 06:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  560
Joined  2006-03-18

I think Minicold has a good point there.
Most bands started out having almost no gear and the synths from those days were quite limted. Besides a lot of them had no prior musical training and just started to experiment. As time progressed and they got more gear and experience or even a recordeal, their sound started to change.
Vice Versa was a very good example. One night after a gig in Rotterdam they went to a studio and found out that Martin Fry was actually a very good singer. Since the music they were making wasn’t going to get them anywhere financially and they wanted to make money, they deceided to start a new project, ABC, in which they could add some soul elements ( as they were white northern soulboys at heart) ( Yes I know this is blasfemy, but that is what I gathered from the “Made in Sheffield” DVD))

Depeche Mode would probably have gone down the same path much earlier if they hadn’t had a fifth member in Daniel Miller.

Signature 

Brian Eno sank my battleship

1 of 1