1 of 2
das catch 22 = the reissue
Posted: 11 December 2005 02:08 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  170
Joined  2005-12-10

in the past 10 years it seems like every punk band, and now no wave, post punk, and minimal synth band is having their recordings reissued.  I think it is great that all this music is being made available, but at the same time I think it is a catch 22, because the majority of people buying this music only want the original.  For instance, today I saw a No More LP of early recordings at Amoeba records.  This is a band I love, but at the same time I felt no desire to buy this reissue.  Why is that? I look at a record by a band I love and I feel no need to buy it.  It doesn’t make sense, or does it?  Let me know what you think.

obscure

Posted: 11 December 2005 03:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  117
Joined  2005-12-07

because your an anal collector like myself!!  :D i dont like re-issues either,why? because we have the originals.because if we didnt have the originals,we would have the re issues…because if we had the re-issues,and got lucky enough to find the original,we would sell the re-issues,——fucking issues man…..what i cant stand is when they make the release them with limited quantities…. all for the $$$ the keep some copies,resell them etc… geezzz the name almost slipped out…

in a sick twisted retarded way:

originals=make you cool,hell Im so fucking cool

id buy some geoffrey landers re-releases !!!!! 8O

Signature 

NO USER SERVICABLE PARTS INSIDE

Posted: 11 December 2005 06:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  89
Joined  2005-12-01

Maybe a huge part of why you like the music is because it’s -obscure-....so seeing it at the big record shop all shiny new means everyone can claim fandom…...personally I don’t recall seeing TOO many straight reissues of minimal synth stuff…...most of them include previously unreleased material or versions.  Why should everyone have to pay $100+ a record to enjoy a high quality copy of the music they love?

Why would people now press more than 300-500 copies of material that is still circulating after originally only being pressed in 25-500 copies 25 years ago? If they press 1000, sure, they can make an affordable copy available to anyone who wants it but they are probably going to end up with 500 copies sitting in the kitchen. Besides, they could always press another batch if demand was truly high.

Posted: 11 December 2005 07:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-07

like it because its obscure? oh no…..as for me ,I like the music…. I think thats why we are all here ,heh?  i would love to see it a shiny and new in a record shop, like 20 years ago and junk..but its a collector’s point of view. thats all..shit you can download ANY song now online…..rarely seen minimal synth reissues remixed..I cant even think of one right now…maybe there are some…but they probably suck..

so danielsan as a collector, its great to have the original..for example like a painting…..Id prefer the actual painting than a picture of one…or a print of one..you can still appreciate the painting right? all the colors of ice are in place…but still as a collector the original is a a blessing to own…

but really liking it just because its rare…..nnaaaa…...eating poop is rare..but i aint doing it….well maybe if they reissue it.. :D

i love this freakin site,,go V!!!!

Signature 

Posted: 11 December 2005 07:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-07

btw that whole thing about 500 copies left over in someones kitchen..man i know labels re-releasing stuff at 2,3,4,5,600 copies,already sold out and already re-selling for a higher price….. its about $cashing shang chung$

the old records are rare and not available anymore..so when they rerelease they make limited quantities to adopt that same hype from the originals…

best, Geoffrey

Signature 

Posted: 12 December 2005 03:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  89
Joined  2005-12-01

haha, I never said things wouldn’t sell out smile but point well taken, because it’s true, they do and are.

the thing about the painting….....well all I can say is records are not paintings and I’m sure as hell glad about that. collect on!

Posted: 13 December 2005 02:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  644
Joined  2005-12-04

The re-issue topic and phenomenon is a bit annoying, it’s true.
But at least they are doing them justice by re-releasing them in their original format and not on CD. By doing this they are keeping vinyl alive. To me the real problem is this mp3 culture. That’s the real catch 22.
How many people have gotten into this music because of mp3’s and then go back to their indie/ alternative whatever they were listening too. That’s not the problem and I don’t care. What I care is that they go around and show it to everybody and then you have mp3J’s spinning this in their EBM/goth clubs.
Do they know who sings the song? the artist? where it came from? the year? what it is?
NO!
These people don’t care about this music, they care about their status in their venues and the mp3 hogs just care about their coolness. Whatever it is they think they are.
Whatever happened to searching for records and talking to collectors and word of mouth and doing research. Which today with the internet is so easy!
I’m not saying these things aren’t performed and I’m not generalizing in any way. They know who they are.
This mp3 thing is another discussion altogether.

Getting back to the point about the limited edition thing. Well there aren’t that many people who are truly into this music. Why release in high numbers when you can barely sell 300 of them? remember that just because the actual label runs out of that particular record does not mean that actually 300 people bought the records from the label. You have distributors who buy 10-15 of those in one shot. Multiply that times 3-4 distros and at least 80 records are gone. Then you have collectors buying more than one piece to trade in the future. You get the idea…....

Signature 

It’s all about the aboveground!

Posted: 14 December 2005 05:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-04

[quote author=“maschinenmusik”]rarely seen minimal synth reissues remixed..I cant even think of one right now…maybe there are some…but they probably suck..

http://www.enfant-terrible.nl/enfant03

Signature 

Posted: 14 December 2005 01:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-07

ok the actor is an exemption…..good call, but Is gots the trumpetts!

Signature 

Posted: 20 December 2005 05:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  214
Joined  2005-12-17

I’ve collected punk records for years and the reissue debate is alive and well in that scene.  Personally I don’t have thousands of dollars/pounds/euros to blow on original records that came out in a limited run of 6.  if a reissue is available at a decent price I’ll search it out.  Then, as posted above, if I have the good fortune to find an original at a price I can afford then I get the original and sell/trade the reissue.  For me it’s mainly about the music, trophy valuse of having an original is just the icing on the cake.

Posted: 27 December 2005 10:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2005-12-26

I don’t give a shit if its a re-issue or an original.  So long as I get a playable copy of some music I like is what makes me happy.  :D

Signature 

...either epileptic or dead.

Posted: 04 January 2006 01:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  100
Joined  2005-12-25

i’m glad .mp3s of thius stuff are so readily available.  I don’t have time or money to spend on rare vinyl, but I love hearing more and more of this music.  If reissues are available, sure I’m game, especially if the musicians stand to gain by it even in terms of status.  but I’ve got better things to do with my money than line a dealers pockets.

I’m not a dj.  if I were, I’d start with a laptop.

Signature 

b l e a k

Posted: 05 January 2006 02:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-04

[quote author=“futility”]i’m glad .mp3s of thius stuff are so readily available.  I don’t have time or money to spend on rare vinyl, but I love hearing more and more of this music.  If reissues are available, sure I’m game, especially if the musicians stand to gain by it even in terms of status.  but I’ve got better things to do with my money than line a dealers pockets.

I’m not a dj.  if I were, I’d start with a laptop.

To each it’s own.
If it makes you happy, more power to you.
Maybe it has to do with age? (i’m not that old) or maybe I’m too nostalgic
but the idea of “DJ’ing” with a laptop it’s horrendous to me.
The fact that there are mp3’s of this stuff is not the problem. It’s what people do with them. It’s a matter of choice in the end, I suppose.
Who want’s to hear a stale mp3 when you can have all the beauty of those fat sounds coming out of vinyl?

Signature 

Posted: 05 January 2006 09:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-25

[quote author=“cr-78”] The fact that there are mp3’s of this stuff is not the problem. It’s what people do with them. It’s a matter of choice in the end, I suppose.
Who want’s to hear a stale mp3 when you can have all the beauty of those fat sounds coming out of vinyl?

Yep there’s certainly some poorly encoded stuff out there.  I think there are a few on Soulseek who on the one hand want to show off their incredible vinyl collections and make tons of stuff available w/ cover scans, notes, etc. but on the other hand want to hang on to the status of ‘owning the vinyl’ so they encode at low rates.

Certainly compressed audio files *can* sound great at a decent bitrate.  What *really* sounds great is the sounds coming right out of the instrument…

Signature 

b l e a k

Posted: 05 January 2006 10:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-04

Since I have not ever been in soulseek I can’t comment.
But I do know how any kind of collecting can puff up most people’s egos.

What *really* sounds great is the sounds coming right out of the instrument…

Sometimes…..not always. Lots of people have used studios to polish their sound.
A demo does not equal good sound. There are exceptions of course when the demo does sound better than the mastered versions.

Signature 

Posted: 07 January 2006 05:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-25

[quote author=“cr-78”]Sometimes…..not always. Lots of people have used studios to polish their sound.
A demo does not equal good sound. There are exceptions of course when the demo does sound better than the mastered versions.

I meant making your own music is the next step for the obsessive fan, once the thrill of collecting obscure releases has faded.

Signature 

b l e a k

1 of 2

wondering why?      |     new old bands that ››