3 of 3
Cheap Transparent Illusion
Posted: 22 July 2009 01:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  55
Joined  2007-05-15

[quote author=“obscure”]Eight6,

If you are having trouble finding friends there is a website called Friendster.  It might be able to help you.

And don’t worry you seem to be keeping up with the big ones just fine since you have recently championed the taste of a certain “big one” by spending more money than anybody else in the world to this date on the Seeing Red 7” .  A whopping $700.00 out of your $80,000 + salary, and a serious proclamation of how much you trust and devote your spending agenda to what a certain “big one” believes is good.

That’s $700 more than I spent on that single.  That is true trust, and devotion.  I’m glad you really believe in me :wink:

What do you think of someone who posts minimal wave tracks for download on a different forum, and then acts as if they know so much more than everyone on that forum because of it?  Would you call that person preachy?  Would you think they act like they have authority on taste?

If friendster doesn’t workout you can try myspace or facebook smile

obscure

Must hurt to see someone toss hundreds around for vinyl, but not in your direction.

As far as the Seeing Red single goes…I knew of the song 2 years before it even hit your ears. It’s OK, I don’t mind you taking your queues from me. If you need proof, I refer you to the NWO thread in question.

With regard to the music posts…most of them are of no interest to people at NWO: I post on the off chance somebody there will come to appreciate the genre. When have I ever played the role of expert there? I usually post that I know nothing about the group, or simply list the vinyl source of the song.

Epic fail obscure. Sadly, a regular occurence for you.

Posted: 22 July 2009 01:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-15

[quote author=“Ton”][quote author=“eight6”]If only collecting friends were as easy as collecting records…

Right. I found out collecting enemies is much easier. You should try it. It can be fun.
Ton

LOL…apparently, I’ve already mastered that.

Posted: 22 July 2009 04:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  170
Joined  2005-12-10

Eight6,

It must hurt for you to know none of your $700 went to the band :cry: , and all of the $650 I sold the record to Joerg for did :D

Here’s a queue you can teach me.  Please show me how to sit around for 2 + years, and know about an amazing record and not do anything, and wait for someone else to find out about the record. Then teach me how to watch another person go get the record for themselves for free within two weeks.  Then show me how to watch that person make $650 for themselves, and $650 for the band who made the record, and then show me how to watch that person keep their free copy.  And finally you can show me how to spend $700 on a record that someone who knew about the band two years after you got for free.  Actually, I don’t think I need any of your queues :wink:

If a failure is what I am then I hope to fail on many more rare minimal synth records in the future :D

obscure

Posted: 22 July 2009 10:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  246
Joined  2006-08-28

Transparent Illusion is overrated anyway imho…
I’ve never liked those out-of-tune drunk vocals 8)

Posted: 22 July 2009 09:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  501
Joined  2007-02-21

Now I vaguely remember someone even started a thread on this.  8)

You sure he was very very drunk when he recorded, Claudia?  :wink:

But as we already had somebody embarassing themselves completely by admitting they like the Boys from the Pet Shop, well I think Nena’s unability to sing is quite charming and adds to the songs.

As for Roy Young, there’s only unability to sing I’m afraid.

Musically Vortex and the like might be everything a minimal synth fiend might wish for, but that non-voice indeed is a major spoiler. Strangely, in The Age of Ridicule it doesn’t bother me and that one is the only song I really really like.

Posted: 22 July 2009 10:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  246
Joined  2006-08-28
[quote author=“falck”]Strangely, in The Age of Ridicule it doesn’t bother me and that one is the only song I really really like.

Same here, exactly my thoughts!
In ‘The age of ridicule’ the singer sounds punkish, almost like a minimal synth-Johnny Rotten grin

Posted: 23 July 2009 02:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-15

It must hurt for you to know none of your $700 went to the band :cry: , and all of the $650 I sold the record to Joerg for did :D

Here’s a queue you can teach me.  Please show me how to sit around for 2 + years, and know about an amazing record and not do anything, and wait for someone else to find out about the record. Then teach me how to watch another person go get the record for themselves for free within two weeks.  Then show me how to watch that person make $650 for themselves, and $650 for the band who made the record, and then show me how to watch that person keep their free copy.  And finally you can show me how to spend $700 on a record that someone who knew about the band two years after you got for free.  Actually, I don’t think I need any of your queues :wink:

If a failure is what I am then I hope to fail on many more rare minimal synth records in the future :D

obscure

The simple answer to your silly questions is: I have a life.

I let underlings do the digging and I then buy the spoils. The cost is of no real consequence, so long as I want the item.

In this case of the Seeing Red single, I did make a few informal inquiries about the record, but never doggedly pursued them to their conclusion. Perhaps that had to do with me being a collector, and not an opportunist looking to take advantage of collectors.

I guess it’s all in how you look at it…my collection is merely a hobby, you on the other hand, derive your sense of self worth from your vinyl.

How sad.

Posted: 23 July 2009 04:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-10

Eight6,

“The simple answer to your silly questions is: I have a life.”

What silly questions?  When I looked at my quote that you highlighted I didn’t see any questions. 

So does this mean having a life consists of.

Having an $80,000 crap job with a corporation.
Having a bad marriage
Having no clue about finding a great record
Having written over 6000 posts on a New Wave Outpost message board.

If so, then I don’t think I want a life :wink:

“I let underlings do the digging and I then buy the spoils.”

Is that because you could not discover a great record to save your life, but would rather be an ebay bandwagon jumper? 

“The cost is of no real consequence, so long as I want the item.”

Yes a $700 loss is of little consquence especially when you compare it to a $15 loss :wink:

“In this case of the Seeing Red single, I did make a few informal inquiries about the record, but never doggedly pursued them to their conclusion. Perhaps that had to do with me being a collector, and not an opportunist looking to take advantage of collectors”

How would that have to do with you being a collector?  That would only prove that you are not a collector.  A collector gets a record.  I made one inquiry, and all it took was picking up a telephone, and dialling a phone # to get the record.  Five minutes, and one phone call.  I’d say that is more time efficient, and cost efficient than your multiple “informal” smile inquiries which spanned the course of years, and your $700.  It also benefitted the band $650 more, and it benefitted the collecting community more, because It allowed another person to also get the record.

“I guess it’s all in how you look at it…my collection is merely a hobby, you on the other hand, derive your sense of self worth from your vinyl. “

I don’t derive my sense of self worth from my records. 
You can quote me on that :!:

obscure

Posted: 23 July 2009 04:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-10

Teachu2die,

That’s it.  I’m done smile

obscure

Posted: 24 July 2009 12:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-15

I don’t derive my sense of self worth from my records. 
You can quote me on that :!:

obscure

Right. I’ll deal with that gem at the end.

Crappy job, bad marriage, etc. Where do you get this stuff?

I own my own business, have a great marriage, and life.

As for the 6000+ posts on NWO? I work at my business about 10 hours a week, so I have lots of time to enjoy other things…and I will admit to being a sucker for posting there. I’ve made some friends there; and there are some folks that I don’t see eye to eye with. It’s kind of like a online pub…ideas get explored, examined, ridiculed and sometimes understood.

The reason you lasted only a few days there is that you stepped into an intelligent group of people and quickly showed yourself to be in over your head.

As for the rest of your poorly worded, long winded tripe…yawn. I can see your in over your head here as well. The posts in response to you have been thoughtful, well worded and frankly very tolerant of your obvious sense of self importance.

I get a kick out of reading your “expert” opinions on everyone else and their record collecting habits, they truly are entertaining.

Now, to the point of my post: despite what you say you so obviously have built your sense of self worth through your collection denying it only makes you look more foolish.

This has been fun, but it’s getting long in the tooth…I’ll let you have the last word since your already on the defensive. Discover a record or two, and feel better.

Ciao.

Posted: 24 July 2009 02:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  330
Joined  2005-12-14
[quote author=“Claudia101”][quote author=“falck”]Strangely, in The Age of Ridicule it doesn’t bother me and that one is the only song I really really like.

Same here, exactly my thoughts!
In ‘The age of ridicule’ the singer sounds punkish, almost like a minimal synth-Johnny Rotten grin

Mmmm, one of the best songs is ... Vortex : downtempo, dark cold atmosphere : just how I like it. 8)

3 of 3

New ID’s to Identify      |     The Dugites ? ››