2 of 3
Cheap Transparent Illusion
Posted: 14 July 2009 04:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  89
Joined  2006-05-30
[quote author=“chevalier”]”]I just mailed with Roy Young, he moved from Haverhill to Suffolk, he will DJ at my wedding party and he will release “Chagrin Receiver” on an obscure Belgian label :D

Now seriously, is this “chargin receiver” and “Guilty rich man” unreleased lp\s thing accurate?

Signature 

The story ‘s over.. and I dont want no tears

Posted: 14 July 2009 05:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2007-06-11

maximal information from minimal dude:

As I understand it, Chargin Receiver and Guilty Rich Men do not exist. They are something that wound up on a few influential want lists many years ago based on who knows what and have been the stuff of legend ever since.

Reportedly, Roy Young wasn’t especially competent and the music on the album was reworked by the producer (can’t remember his name, but it’s on the LP jacket) to make it releasable.

The only thing that exists on vinyl, aside from the LP and 7” is the “Concept” 7” which reared it’s head a few years ago. Many people are suspicious of the origins of this release (I withhold judgement), but having heard it, the music is definitely Transparent Illusion, and good stuff at that.

“Concept” is an excellent alternate version of “Demented”, and the other side, as I recall, was a different version of another track from the LP (maybe “Nuclear Release”??? It’s been a while.)

I believe the above information to be correct, just don’t carve it in stone…

Posted: 17 July 2009 01:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  170
Joined  2005-12-10

Jens,

I think the lowest price out of the ones that just sold is still to expensive for you though.

- Based on your uncanny ability to buy $400 records
for $4.99 Buy It Nows :wink:

Spartak,

Thanks for calling me brilliant smile

but nothing can be as brilliant as these two quotes of yours :wink:

“I’d rather hang myself than be a sellout.”

“I would of never moved to Rotterdam if it wasn’t for the job.”

I am humbled by your intelligence and stoic valiance. 

You did not say you have no dutch minimal synth records anywhere, but since you live in Holland, and you told me you don’t have the best dutch minimal synth 7” , and a relevant compilation that is from the city where you live then it is not hard to come to the conclusion that you are not a collector.

In terms of throwing money around on ebay that is not to hard.  Money comes, and it goes.  I collect records to have and enjoy, not to prove anything to anyone, or try to be better than anyone.  I have no ego about my collection, or doing architecture.

I’m sorry to dash all your hopes, but I don’t have a Daddy :wink:
I have a dad, and he is not rich smile

Oystein,

I’m sure you can understand why a person would want and covet the Transparent Illusion 7”.  You can ask the top synth collectors their top five singles, and I’m sure this record would be in all of their lists. 

I too know that I cannot have all the records in the world.  It has been a long time since I gave up trying to buy all the depeche mode and joy division bootlegs.  I think each collector comes up with their own idea of a standard of the records they want in their collection.  I don’t have all the Iron Curtain records either.  I only have the ones which I think are good which are the Terror Story 7” and the Tarantula Scream 12”.  I had the Shadow 12” which I traded, and the like a family 7” which I sold. 

In determining what you need to keep in order to have space in your home though I’m sure you know you don’t need to keep any of it.  There is soul seek, and there is the internet.  So to say you don’t buy very important minimal synth records based on space issues seems a somewhat dishonest viewpoint in terms of collecting this genre in my opinion.  If you are going to collect a genre of course you should go after the great records.  I think each collector has the priorites of what they want based on rarity, greatness, and cost.  I think that you don’t want the Transparent Illusion 7” based on cost more than anything, and I think that is honest. 

I wasn’t attacking the Maskindans double CD.  I was using it to prove a point to give you some insight into how your standard of collecting could be viewed in regards to your own merchandising.  In a way it does fit the bill as something to pass over according to your standards.  I looked at the track listing, and I see Bern Balders.  I have that 7” so there is one reason for me not to get the CD, and when I see another 7” I have then there is another reason, and so on…. 

And when it comes to the Pet Shop Boys you know I have the “West End Girls” 7”
:wink:

James,

Chagrin Receiver and Guilty Rich Man we’re listed in Volume 2: The international discography of the new wave, and that is how they showed up on want lists.  I don’t think they exist.  The u.k. portion of the discography was for a large part based on John Peels collection.  And since John Peel is dead, and his collection has been acquired by a non minimal synth collector who sells on ebay, and neither of these unknown Transparent Illusion records showed up it is more likely that they don’t exist, but we’re planned as future releases, and maybe Peel or someone had a promotional letter with their copy in regards to these releases. 

I asked Dave who produced the LP, and he said he only worked with Roy Young for 2 days, and that was it.  And that was for the Still Human recording.  He never saw him again, and he said there we’re no other members in the band.  The 7” has 3 members listed on it, but Dave said the other people we’re just people that worked in the studio. 

I also asked atgreatfm about the records. He collects only u.k. records from 76 to 83, and has been for the last 30 years, and he does not have either of these unknown Transparent Illusion records. 

To me not only are the Transparent Illusion records amazing, but I think what makes them even more attractive is the mystery that surrounds them.  Roy Young, hopefully never to be found :wink:

obscure

Posted: 17 July 2009 07:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  727
Joined  2005-12-05

I’m starting to believe this single is more of a metaphor to something, say a certain girl.

Either way someone needs to be taught the difference between personal opinion and general consensus.  My opinion on music in general and dutch minimal synth in particular differs from yours stephen and gladly so.

It’s rather sad how you so desperately seem to be claiming authority on taste. The very essence of music is that it’s a personal experience. Even in a very defined subculture as ours everyone has personal favourites. You sound like your hobby could just as well been collecting stamps. I’m sure you would have had a mighty impressive collection of those too if fate blew you into another direction.

That’s the last I have to say to you hopefully. You trigger my nerves in an unsettling way. I hope to be able to ignore you from now on.

Signature 

Delicious toes are swimming in my soup

Posted: 17 July 2009 09:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2000-11-09

[quote author=“Spartak”]I
It’s rather sad how you so desperately seem to be claiming authority on taste.

Is it you Kris saying this ? Aren’t you talking to yourself ?
[quote author=“Spartak”] the last I have to say to you hopefully. You trigger my nerves in an unsettling way. I hope to be able to ignore you from now on.

To me it seemed Stephen was just discussing things. What if we all ignore you from now on ?

Sorry but I think it would be wise to take some back from your statements.
Are you sure this is not all a metaphor to something, say a certain girl ?

Ton

Posted: 17 July 2009 12:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  75
Joined  2006-01-05

I´m going for chips and beer, guys!

That´s the best entertainment we´ve had in a long period here…. :D

While reading this amazing thread I´m listening to a somewhat very minimalistic record, but not too minimalistic in your perception, of course.
Ignore me, I´m not a real collector since I´m not into dicky comparison business 8)

Cheers,
Alex

Posted: 17 July 2009 10:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  840
Joined  2006-03-03
[quote author=“obscure”]I collect records to have and enjoy, not to prove anything to anyone, or try to be better than anyone.  I have no ego about my collection, or doing architecture.

You can ask the top synth collectors their top five singles, and I’m sure this record would be in all of their lists.

If you have no ego about your collection, why do you claim credibility - even reverence! - like this? You’re saying it’s up to you (and the other “top collectors”, I’m sure you’ve told them who they are) to decide what I need in my collection. How infantile.

I think each collector comes up with their own idea of a standard of the records they want in their collection.

Unless of course we’re talking about people like Spartak, who didn’t buy stuff you think is important - and thus, is not a collector. Oh please.

There is soul seek, and there is the internet.

Which falls short of my “idea of a standard”. I don’t collect bootleg compilations like the kassettentäters, and I don’t think of mp3s as collector’s items. They’re useful in a buyer’s guide sense, but wont replace official items.

If you are going to collect a genre of course you should go after the great records. I think each collector has the priorites of what they want based on rarity, greatness, and cost.

Yes, but at the same time you seem to think it’s up to you and whoever else to decide what I need in my collection and that is beyond a joke.

I wasn’t attacking the Maskindans double CD.  I was using it to prove a point to give you some insight into how your standard of collecting could be viewed in regards to your own merchandising.  In a way it does fit the bill as something to pass over according to your standards.  I looked at the track listing, and I see Bern Balders.  I have that 7” so there is one reason for me not to get the CD, and when I see another 7” I have then there is another reason, and so on….

Every song you don’t need on a compilation is a reason not to get that compilation? Wow, you miss out on a lot of great music on this kind of freak logic! Not even SNX has more good songs than bad… The “Wienmusikk” LP for instance, one good song, the rest is nonsense. I’m sure there are hundreds of such examples. Oh well, there’s always soulseek, right?

Posted: 18 July 2009 12:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  727
Joined  2005-12-05

[quote author=“reactorlgtn”]

Every song you don’t need on a compilation is a reason not to get that compilation? Wow, you miss out on a lot of great music on this kind of freak logic! Not even SNX has more good songs than bad… The “Wienmusikk” LP for instance, one good song, the rest is nonsense. I’m sure there are hundreds of such examples. Oh well, there’s always soulseek, right?

I guess it’s his way to say: hey! I already have all the rarities on that comp. I’m one of the big guys.
I’m sure he already had showtime! on a dusty tape like nils.

Nevermind some of the best songs were unreleased before (or in much lesser quality like the mentioned alter-ego effekt)

Signature 

Delicious toes are swimming in my soup

Posted: 19 July 2009 07:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-10

Spartak,

I think you know that it is pretty common knowledge that the Transparent Illusion 7” is one of the most desired minimal synth records.  I would not call me saying that it is claiming authority on taste. 

Also, I don’t think the essence of music is a personal experience. 

A person can make music by themselves or they can be in a band.

A person can go to a show, or they can listen to a walkman. 

Music can be personal, but it can also be social. 

I’m not interested in stamps.

And you sound like a person with a chip on their shoulder. 

I will call the first Autonomy of the Individual single.

Authority on Taste smile

with the brilliant b side.

You Trigger my Nerves in an Unsettling Way :wink:
I will have it remastered, and reissued with a 100 page booklet before it is even released so that you can buy it.

Oystein, 8O :D

How infantile. :?: Oh please. :?: that is beyond a joke :?: freak logic!  :?:

What happened to the jovial fun loving norwegian that we all know, and love raspberry

Is spartak tempting you towards the dutchside :wink: 

Anyway, here is my response.

I don’t think it is up to me to decide what you want in your collection, but I think you are lying to say you wouldn’t want to have the Tranparent Illusion 7”.  Didn’t you pay this much for the LP?

http://www.popsike.com/Transparent-Illusion-Still-Human-Minimal-KILLER/230213138096.html

A 7” is very small.  It doesn’t take up that much space.

In terms of the top collectors you know who they are, and so do I.

I question spartaks status as a collector based on his posts where he champions reissues, and puts down genuine rare desirable minimal synth records. 

I don’t use soul seek to download music, and never have.  But your argument against owning the tranparent illusion single was based on space.  So I used that as an example to give you all the space you need.

I don’t think its up to me to decide what you want in your collection.  I think that is up to you. I think you should also be honest with yourself about what you want in your collection.

In terms of the freak logic about every song you don’t need on a compilation is a reason to not get that compilation I was speaking from your point of view LOL  based on what you said about not needing the Transparent Illusion 7”, because you already have the LP.  So that is your freak logic I guess. LOL 

I will buy a record just to have a sleeve, or sleeve variation.  I spent a lot on the Transparent Illusion 7”, and I already had the LP.  I will buy a song I already have if it is on an LP or 7” or vice versa.

Yes there is always soul seek.  So I guess we both miss out on a lot of great music :wink:  because I don’t use it smile and I suspect you don’t either raspberry

obscure

footnote:  The dutchside is a wordplay referencing star wars the Dark Side.  No dutch we’re hurt or injured during the making of the Star Wars movies or during the writing of this post.  Any similiarity to actual dutch physical and emotional injuries is completely coincidental. smile

Posted: 20 July 2009 05:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2007-06-11

Stephen,

Yes, all of what you said lines up with what I know. I didn’t have either of my copies of Volume 82/83 on hand here at my office, so I didn’t snag the reference for those “mystery” items. I can’t recall if I’ve ever even looked up Transparent Illusion in those books. Guess I need to study a little harder, huh?

I agree about Roy Young’s non-appearance being a part of what makes the records interesting. The general (obvious) consensus is that the guy must’ve committed suicide. What a drag it would be if he popped up one day with a website that had a bunch of new age music he’d been making recently!

snortemis

Posted: 20 July 2009 08:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2000-11-09

[quote author=“snortemis”]The general (obvious) consensus is that the guy must’ve committed suicide. What a drag it would be if he popped up one day with a website that had a bunch of new age music he’d been making recently!
snortemis

Sure, I am dead too ! Or will be soon. Or perhaps someone else I know will be.
Under what circumstances ? What was the last word “we” said ? What did “we” do at the time ?
What a drag it would be if “we” popped up one day with a website that had a bunch of new age music “we” ‘d been making recently!

Ton

Posted: 20 July 2009 10:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  55
Joined  2007-05-15

Interesting read. Fortunately for me, I’m happy with my collection being what I want in it, not what somebody says should be in it…therefore, it satisfies MY needs.

I could never keep up with the “big ones” anyway, because it seems every record a particular “big one” comes across is THE next big thing in the minimal world. That smacks of a self indulgent, preachy authority and a claim to superior taste.

If only collecting friends were as easy as collecting records…

Posted: 20 July 2009 02:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-10

Eight6,

If you are having trouble finding friends there is a website called Friendster.  It might be able to help you.

And don’t worry you seem to be keeping up with the big ones just fine since you have recently championed the taste of a certain “big one” by spending more money than anybody else in the world to this date on the Seeing Red 7” .  A whopping $700.00 out of your $80,000 + salary, and a serious proclamation of how much you trust and devote your spending agenda to what a certain “big one” believes is good.

That’s $700 more than I spent on that single.  That is true trust, and devotion.  I’m glad you really believe in me :wink:

What do you think of someone who posts minimal wave tracks for download on a different forum, and then acts as if they know so much more than everyone on that forum because of it?  Would you call that person preachy?  Would you think they act like they have authority on taste?

If friendster doesn’t workout you can try myspace or facebook smile

obscure

Posted: 20 July 2009 07:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  122
Joined  2005-12-27

snore?

Posted: 20 July 2009 07:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2000-11-09

[quote author=“eight6”]If only collecting friends were as easy as collecting records…

Right. I found out collecting enemies is much easier. You should try it. It can be fun.
Ton

2 of 3

New ID’s to Identify      |     The Dugites ? ››