4 of 4
Most overrated minimal synth artists
Posted: 19 June 2007 10:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  501
Joined  2007-02-21

[quote author=“AirCrashBureau”]Scatterbrain

Always amazed their records are so expensive. Bought their 12” in the early 90’s for 0,50 Guilders, not knowing who they were and still don’t understand the prices they fetch today apart from the record being relatively rare. The music is nice, but not brilliant in my opinion you see. But it is good enough, so I do not wish to sell it. Maybe that is stupid, I know. smile

The repeated mention of Scatterbrain really takes me back to some of my initial thoughts when I started this thread, namely that from an artist’s perspective, it might look somewhat absurd at times.

Sure, the likes of Kraftwerk are probably already used to being called overrated since the early 70s, but if you put on André Szigethy’s, Scatterbrain’s or even Roy Young’s hat, now what must this thread look like to them….

Chances are they resold their small rusty cars to finance their music habit back in the day, their successful careers possibly secured them nice cosy council flats, they’ve probably come to the conclusion that giving away the last remaining mint copies to the garbage man some ten years ago was probably not one of their best ideas either…

....and when standing on the window sill ready to jump and being asked “Any famous last words?”, they’ll probably answer “Tell the guys from MW they’re right, I’m completely overrated indeed.”  :D :D

Posted: 20 June 2007 10:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  727
Joined  2005-12-05

Perhaps we should narrow the definition down to “most overrated cult artist”...

But as the minimal synth genre appears to be defined by popular obscurity I thought we already had.

Signature 

Delicious toes are swimming in my soup

Posted: 09 January 2008 07:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2007-01-10

I think I have to stand up for Class Info a bit. Inside is a really interesting, original and charming DIY album. Shame it’s only 5 songs is what I always think. Like as if the creepiest, weirdest goth kid in your school decided to make an old skool synth album. 99% more interesting than most synth ever made.

On the other hand. There is no way that ANY record is worth 700 dollars. It took a lot for me to part with mine on Ebay, knowing that I’ll probably never see it again for cheap (I bought it for $1 at a flea market in Edmonton where I live.) If I do, I will just keep it. But I was about to go to San Francisco for a weekend and needed Amoeba money. The almost 800 Canadian dolalrs (at the time, would be more like $600 now) turned into over 120 more records on the trip. Much to my wife’s chagrin. God bless her.

200 dollars is the most I’ve ever paid for a record (M- copy of “World Invaders” by Pluton and Humanoids) and the most I’ll ever pay. I felt I actually needed to consult people about it before pulling the trigger even though I loved the track so much. Thank god it seems that the Experimental Products stuff will get rereleased. Although once you pay $200 for a record, your wallet seems to get a lot looser for those $50 and $100 records when you find them. For instance, I paid $123 a couple of weeks ago without blinking for a sealed copy of Iko ‘83. I’ve wanted that record forever and it finally showed up on my doorstep this week absolutely perfect. Now if people ever said that Iko was overrated, I’d have to brawl em.

Posted: 10 January 2008 05:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2007-02-06

Beside the $ facts, for me they’re [in no particular order] ...

Iron Curtain
Rassemenschen Helfen Armen Menschen
Das Kabinette
Inertia
Spoon Fazer [just one great song]
John Bender [except ‘I Don’t Remember Now’ LP]
Neon [from Italy; just very few cool songs]
Störung
Ensemble Pittoresque
MANY german acts
Ceramic Hello
Moral
Trick 17
Harrison & Chappelle
ZYX
Jyl
Solid State
Stranger Still
Bene Gesserit
XeX

Sorry

Signature 

Music was my first love & it’ll be my last

Posted: 10 January 2008 05:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  246
Joined  2006-08-28

Iron Curtain

I really don’t understand why some people would pay so much for their records…
Their music sounds way to “normal” to me to be filed under minimal synth or wave

The Condos is a fantastic song though.

I share hirnlaerm’s feeling on Rassemenschen helfen Arme Menschen & Bene Gesserit too…

Posted: 11 January 2008 05:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]  
Administrator
RankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2007-03-04

[quote author=“Claudia101”]Iron Curtain

I really don’t understand why some people would pay so much for their records…
Their music sounds way to “normal” to me to be filed under minimal synth or wave

The Condos is a fantastic song though.

I share hirnlaerm’s feeling on Rassemenschen helfen Arme Menschen & Bene Gesserit too…

I agree with this somewhat but I still love em.

Posted: 15 January 2008 03:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2007-12-28

rated?

i don’t believe in under-rated or over-rated albums. why rank anything—thats what critics do. critiquing only distracts a person from their own creativity. it’s one thing to say what you like about a band or a performance—but rating things is analysis-paralysis

Posted: 15 January 2008 08:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2007-02-06

Re: rated?

[quote author=“Perplexions”]i don’t believe in under-rated or over-rated albums. why rank anything—thats what critics do. critiquing only distracts a person from their own creativity. it’s one thing to say what you like about a band or a performance—but rating things is analysis-paralysis

You know what;
If I weren’t told about some music in the past I wouldn’t know that much &
in fact it’s just a snowflake compared with an iceberg
And if I wouldn’t have shared my knowledge with some other people,
they didn’t have got the chance to make their own decisions

As I’m doing DJing sometimes I choose to play the music I like,
not the music I don’t like -
And I know that most ‘DJs’ play music for the ‘masses’,
though they don’t like it & their declaration therefor is nothing

It IS human nature to overrate / underrate / observe / ignore ...
The real paralysis is not to know that we DO all that in every single things on every single decision, every single day

Best | Tom

Signature 

Music was my first love & it’ll be my last

Posted: 15 January 2008 07:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2007-12-28

Re: rated?

Hi Tom-Yes i agree.Playing the music one likes,airing it,and recommending it to friends is all fine… i was referring to how critics are obsessed with judgemental dissection, like a school teacher giving out grades.
if a friend tells me they didnt like something, i still have to hear it for myself,even though we might like many of the same.

Best to you, i hope your radio show/clubscene is stimulating many imaginations - Perp

Posted: 17 January 2008 11:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-21

As the initiator of those two threads a couple of words about my intentions:

The “underrated artists” thread had the purely positive intention that people would share their thoughts about bands they think are truly brilliant in order to make others discover or “re-evaluate” them.

The “overrated artists” was more about challenging “standards” which aren’t necessarily standards even if they’ve been declared standards. About having an opinion of your own.

British comedian Harry Enfield BTW did a brilliant sketch on this subject where a teenager was wearing the word “individual” made out of metal letters around his neck and got asked “Now why are you wearing this?”

So the kid went “Well, all my mates got one like that.”  :wink:

Posted: 17 January 2008 11:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-21

Sorry, posted this twice.

Posted: 26 June 2008 02:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  65
Joined  2006-02-01

Tough question..
my opinion will not be by $ cost, but what I sense is popular or
overrated.

My Minimal Overrated list. (baised on my own vibe)

1. Absolute Body Control (I haven’t heard any song that moved me yet.
And isn’t their name a DAF rip-off?)
2. Ceramic Hello (bye)
3. A Blaze Colour *Cold As Ever* (just this song only)
4. Iko (pretty unimpressive)
5. Nash the Slash (is it even rated high eh?)
6. Alexander Von Borsig (hiroshi-no…!)
7. Kirlian Camera (who??)
8. No More (lol sleepy minimal)
9. Mecano (OK…)
10. Mekanik Kommando (Zzzz)
that’s all ... no offense to these artists,
these bands i kinda like anyway, their not god awful or anything.

Posted: 26 June 2008 02:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  65
Joined  2006-02-01

[quote author=“hirnlaerm”]Beside the $ facts, for me they’re [in no particular order] ...

Iron Curtain
Rassemenschen Helfen Armen Menschen
Das Kabinette
Inertia
Spoon Fazer [just one great song]
John Bender [except ‘I Don’t Remember Now’ LP]
Neon [from Italy; just very few cool songs]
Störung
Ensemble Pittoresque
MANY german acts
Ceramic Hello
Moral