1 of 4
Most overrated minimal synth artists
Posted: 05 June 2007 01:36 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  501
Joined  2007-02-21

Hello people,

I think I saw the word “overrated” being used once or twice here, but it looks like there’s never been a proper thread.

Before we start, a couple of remarks:

1.) I hope this won’t turn into a type of “now band x sucks because..” thread. Minimal Wave bands typically are notorious underachievers, so if somebody in our world gets some fame some 20 or 25 years later, it’s most likely still a lot less than what they deserved, even if you think they’re overrated compared to others.

2.) Following the Yin and Yang principle, there will also be a “Most underrated minimal synth artits” thread.

To get things going, here comes my “favourite”, admittedly a bit of a low hanging fruit, that one, namely the band already fiercely discussed on MW and recently advertised as the “Roll-Royce of minimal synth” on Ebay, nonetheless they’re my top candidate:

Transparent Illusion

Posted: 05 June 2007 02:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  840
Joined  2006-03-03

I remember Stephen Erucsbo had a dozen or two copies of the DARK WHITE MLP, which all sold for close to $200 IIRC, it sold for good money anyway.

I can’t see why, I think the music is pretty un-brilliant. Is this the sort of thing you’re after?

OTOH, I love the first two Snowy Red LPs, but when they now sell for $500+ they are certainly over-PRICED, does that make them overrated?

Pls xpln

Posted: 05 June 2007 05:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-21

Well, I think being overrated only partly has to do with the money.

Generally I was more coming from the “if you’re into minimal synth, you MUST like the following bands as they define the genre” angle.

Transparent Illusion neither paved the way for other artists - like e.g. Fad Gadget, Gary Numan or Kraftwerk did - nor do I find their stuff overall outstanding. Vortex and The Age of Ridicule are cool songs, but typically it takes more than 2 or 3 songs to be deemed the Rolls-Royce of an entire genre.

Having said that, there is of course a relation between being overrated and the related releases fetching high to insane prices.

Now regarding Snowy Red, if the records are part of a desert island list of yours because musically you think they’re the cream of the crop, then they shouldn’t be overrated for you just because they happen to be expensive.

Posted: 05 June 2007 07:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  727
Joined  2005-12-05

Have to agree with the ones mentioned here with the exception of snowy red of course (I didnt read it as being overrated just wanted to stress that raspberry )

As long as I understand why people pay more for it then i would ever pay it’s not overrated in my book.

Transparent Illusion gets me quirky when it is mentioned as the holy grail again. I think André Szigethy, Scatterbrains and Class Info are other examples of “what idiot pays so much for that”.
Oh, and Paul Nova too. It’s nice but it doesnt tickle me on the M-spot.

Signature 

Delicious toes are swimming in my soup

Posted: 05 June 2007 08:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  55
Joined  2007-05-15

[quote author=“falck”]Well, I think being overrated only partly has to do with the money.

I read that all the time, but it tends to be the people who can’t afford the stuff that immediately brand it as overrated. I know I’ve “overpaid” for some items, but it’s all relative. It’s still within my budget, so to me, I haven’t overspent, merely spent.

Funny though, on another board I post at, people call me crazy for paying the price I do for some items, but then offline, they e-mail me asking for a CD-r of the material.

Now regarding Snowy Red, if the records are part of a desert island list of yours because musically you think they’re the cream of the crop, then they shouldn’t be overrated for you just because they happen to be expensive.

Perfectly said.

Posted: 05 June 2007 08:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  55
Joined  2007-05-15

Re: Most overrated minimal synth artists

[quote author=“falck”]Hello people,

I think I saw the word “overrated” being used once or twice here, but it looks like there’s never been a proper thread.

Before we start, a couple of remarks:

1.) I hope this won’t turn into a type of “now band x sucks because..” thread. Minimal Wave bands typically are notorious underachievers, so if somebody in our world gets some fame some 20 or 25 years later, it’s most likely still a lot less than what they deserved, even if you think they’re overrated compared to others.

2.) Following the Yin and Yang principle, there will also be a “Most underrated minimal synth artits” thread.

To get things going, here comes my “favourite”, admittedly a bit of a low hanging fruit, that one, namely the band already fiercely discussed on MW and recently advertised as the “Roll-Royce of minimal synth” on Ebay, nonetheless they’re my top candidate:

Transparent Illusion

I’ve never understood the attraction for their lp either, but I certainly would pick one up for “the right price”...

Posted: 05 June 2007 09:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-21

[quote author=“eight6”]

I read that all the time, but it tends to be the people who can’t afford the stuff that immediately brand it as overrated. I know I’ve “overpaid” for some items, but it’s all relative. It’s still within my budget, so to me, I haven’t overspent, merely spent.

Funny though, on another board I post at, people call me crazy for paying the price I do for some items, but then offline, they e-mail me asking for a CD-r of the material.

Hi eight6,

Now is that a contradiction? Not really untypical human behaviour, I’d say. If people offered you even more for your items than they know you paid for them in their emails, they’d be crazy.  :D

It really all comes down to the question what an item is worth to you as a person, now some people blow their money on cars and women, others give it to charities and some buy collector records. Personally, I can’t see anything fundamentally wrong with people spending a lot of money on records compared to e.g. spending it on rifles, pit pulls and throwing stars.  :wink:

Still, no price tag in the world will turn an average record into a genre-defining one.

Posted: 05 June 2007 10:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-03

I really, really, really REALLY love Paul Nova’s LP.

My girlfriend ranks it as one of her favorites too, bulletproof evidence of its quality.

IOW, I’m sorry to see this thread, I regret dissing Dark White and Kris not liking Paul Nova makes my heart ache.

All it needs now is Falck telling us what he thinks of the Poeme Electronique single, and I’ll run away from the pc in tears…  :cry:

Posted: 05 June 2007 10:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-03

It is a funny world when you see a band in the “underrated” category, and then remember that you were going to post them as “overrated”...  LOL  LOL  LOL

Posted: 05 June 2007 11:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-05

Hey drama queen! You already knew I’m lukewarm about the songs I’ve heard from Paul Nova, so dont blame it on the thread. But you didnt choose to proove me wrong by sending the remaing material, including that one song that would bring me on my knees and beg forgiveness for my heresy.  LOL

Signature 

Posted: 05 June 2007 11:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-05

double

Signature 

Posted: 05 June 2007 09:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-21

Hi Reactor,

Normally I wasn’t planning on mentioning Poème électronique and just wanted to keep them for our private little jokes.

Generally, I’d been more hoping for people presenting one or two candidates and explaining a bit why they think they’re over-/underated. But who am I to complain about threads not going the way they were intended to?  LOL 

Good old Poème…top candidate for a “No hit wonder” list, that one   8) 

BTW, I’d say a synth act that did get a lot MORE fame then they deserved are Soft Cell. I always use them as a reference to try to explain to ordinary citizens what you listen to when you’re into minimalelektronik, only to add “a bit like them, just really good”.  :D

Now why don’t you just counter the attack by posting Paul Nova and Poème in the underrated section?

Posted: 05 June 2007 09:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-21

[quote author=“Spartak”]Hey drama queen!

Did I say something about threads going another way then intended?

Now Reactor once told me in a mail that he rather likes to be referred to as a “Pinkneck”, as in short for “a Norwegian redneck who is exceptionally sensitive”. Spartak, I’m begging you to comply with this and stop calling him a drama queen LOL

Posted: 05 June 2007 11:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-03

It is obviously time for us to move this thread to the Siberia section, and rename it “Let’s Pick On Reactor”... *cry*

But hey, I don’t like your favorite records either, so there!  :twisted:

Posted: 05 June 2007 11:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-21

Yeah, the bands I like to are all overrated.  :D

But reading about Paul Nova, I just listened to the “Famous boys” mp3 you sent me four times in a row, and I really think it is a fantastic song.

Better?

Posted: 05 June 2007 11:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-03

Well, it’s better for me, but I’m afraid Spartak might think it makes it worse when YET another person overrates this mediocrity…

IOW,
when you started this thread,
you created a monster!  8O

1 of 4