1 of 2
vinyl junkie - it never
Posted: 23 December 2005 02:25 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  170
Joined  2005-12-10

ends.  Is there a reason I spend endless amounts of time and money collecting records to an extent that I have more records than I will probably ever be able to listen to.  It doesn’t make any sense to me, but that’s what I do, and that’s what I am- A Vinyl Junkie!  Here are the signs.

1.  You won’t eat so you can spend money on records.

2.  You spend more money on records than you have.

3.  You bid over $300 on records you’ve never heard.

4.  You have a record want list that is at least 200 records strong.

5.  You equate anything you buy that is not a record with how many records you could of bought with that money.

6.  You delude yourself with ideas that one day you will finish your collection, and will then be able to sit around listening to 10 years worth of records in one weekend. 

The basic truth of collecting is that no one ever finishes.  There will always be another record to buy.  Its endless, completely!  So why do we do it?

and thus the minimal synth vinyl junkie support group begins:)

Posted: 23 December 2005 11:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  612
Joined  2005-12-02

I recognize the same symptoms of this “disease”. Maybe it’s contagious? Another symptom: you are looking desperately for a record, and once you have it the fun is gone and you start looking for another one.

Posted: 24 December 2005 07:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  214
Joined  2005-12-17

Exactly!  I tried to tell myself that I was done “collecting” records now that I bought a house and have a mortgage I can’t afford.  Lo and behold my diet now consists of Ramen noodles and water, but I’ve got some pretty cool records.

Posted: 25 December 2005 07:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  117
Joined  2005-12-07

I’ve been there.as im sure most have.

your nexy stepis: to make the music yourself..thats right..make a nice track for your ears only…try it ..and you’ll stop going crazy buying records and start bying synths..

yours,

Milano Mike

Signature 

NO USER SERVICABLE PARTS INSIDE

Posted: 25 December 2005 07:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  117
Joined  2005-12-07

I’ve been there.as im sure most have.

your next step is: to make the music yourself..thats right..make a nice track for your ears only…try it ..and you’ll stop going crazy buying records and start buying synths..

yours,

Milano Mike

Signature 

NO USER SERVICABLE PARTS INSIDE

Posted: 26 December 2005 10:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  727
Joined  2005-12-05

I know the addiction. But for me it’s no fun to collect when the price is dictated by the market and not by you. So it s ME that sets a price for a record, and whenever i see it appear for that price, or below it I buy. That way I’m just happy with that that comes accross and within my range and i don’t get frustrated because I missed the item. I just go play the mp3 of it as long as it takes for me to get sick of it.
Sometimes however I bend the rules so they appease me. One time i bought a large stock of records against borderline high marketprices just to get one very expensive record for free. It was an exceptional record that I just needed to have (Das Kabinette + autographs).

Signature 

Delicious toes are swimming in my soup

Posted: 26 December 2005 10:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  727
Joined  2005-12-05

edit function

btw why is there no edit function available? Sometimes it would be nice if I could change something, like my horrible grammar :oops:

Signature 

Delicious toes are swimming in my soup

Posted: 26 December 2005 10:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  214
Joined  2005-12-17
[quote author=“maschinenmusik”]your next step is: to make the music yourself..

I do that as well.  But alot of times I’m too critical and think my stuff is worthless compared to the records I buy.

And I too set the price I’m willing to pay.  In my life I’ve only spent more than $25 for a record 5 times, and have never spent more than $75 for a piece of vinyl.  Most of the fun for me is the hunt, not the actual aquisition.  Sure, I could easily fill out my want list by going on ebay, but where’s the fun in that?

Posted: 26 December 2005 03:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  349
Joined  2005-12-04

You’re definitly right!
I also really really love to find a good record for a cheap crazy price. Sometimes it happens and the pleasure is even bigger i think.
Of course i also buy expensive records but really rarely, it would hurt me to find it for less than what i gave lataer or have the occasion to have it thru a trade.
From what psychologist said, any kind of collectors have a disease. Well…

But i strongly agree that buying your own synth and materials is a way to spend less, go less on vinyl fair, search less on ebay so then you’re busy by your own sound, you spend less and you have a real pleasure. it’s a mix between creation and satisfaction.

SS

Signature 

D’un sillon l’autre…

Posted: 26 December 2005 09:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-02

[quote author=“Echo_Frau”]SS

still sealed ?

Posted: 27 December 2005 10:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2005-12-26

My claim to fame is finding the IKO -‘83 record in a junk store for like $1.00.

I try to tell myself that I’ll find the record I’m looking for, one day, in a junk store or record store and it will be pocket-change cheap.

BUT.

I do know the addiction you speak of when it comes to being a vinyl maniac…

Collector prices…..they suck, but I’ll pay them.  :D

(but nothing like the clarence g. record….)

Signature 

...either epileptic or dead.

Posted: 27 December 2005 02:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  349
Joined  2005-12-04

[quote author=“chevalier”][quote author=“Echo_Frau”]SS

still sealed ?

Salamandre Somnambule smile

Signature 

D’un sillon l’autre…

Posted: 31 December 2005 05:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-02

[quote author=“Echo_Frau”][quote author=“chevalier”][quote author=“Echo_Frau”]SS

still sealed ?

Salamandre Somnambule smile

Somnambulist or M. Bryo? Which one do you prefer?

Posted: 31 December 2005 05:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2005-12-30

[quote author=“DrCalero”]My claim to fame is finding the IKO -‘83 record in a junk store for like $1.00.

I’ve got an option on that record for about 3 or 4 years now, very lazy seller rolleyes

Signature 

Monoton und minimal

Posted: 31 December 2005 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2005-12-26

Last time I heard, it wasn’t selling for that much….

Signature 

...either epileptic or dead.

Posted: 31 December 2005 07:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  105
Joined  2005-12-08

I have found some pretty cool records in thrift stores… but anytime i find something really awesome, it is always scratched to shit… An iko record?!?!?!  was it in good shape? what a score.

1 of 2

Track ID      |     stealing music. right or ››