1 of 1
Bands and their gear
Posted: 23 October 2008 05:42 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  29
Joined  2008-08-13

It probably happened to you when you noticed two different bands using the similar synth sounds in some of their songs, and you really liked it, so you began to wonder, which synth is that?
I’ll leave alone the case of totally minimal bands, because it’s, like “God! it’s an oscillator, OKAY?”
I want to ask you about some “sound-rich” bands, burdened with fm-synths, sequencers and analog boards.
It’s a big problem for me to find out the band’s gear if it isn’t stated on their site (which, itself, oftenly doesn’t exist). Look for interviews? Good idea, but… haven’t found much gear-related information. Who the hell asks them these questions anyway?
Concert videos? Please. It’s paint-a-ghost game.
So, if you have any information on some specific bands gear (preferrably with proof), or some clue on how to get this information, please post here.
Who knows, maybe we could eventually come up with something big.

Signature 

<div>The lights shine clear through the sodium haze

The night draws near and daylight fades

Ignore the voices discard the day

For the brand new darkness for the bright new way</div>

Posted: 23 October 2008 08:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  840
Joined  2006-03-03

You mean like these?
http://kraftwerk.technopop.com.br/data_setup.php
http://www.isatellite.info/gear.html

I remember a friend of mine saw Kraftwerk on the 1991 tour, and noticed a rack of Akai S-1100 samplers had replaced almost all their previous gear.

Or maybe you had some particular band or bands in mind? I know less than most here, but between us, I’m sure we can break the code of most bands you’d like to know about…

Posted: 24 October 2008 12:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRank
Total Posts:  41
Joined  2007-09-21

Spotting gear is really an art ! I think it is easiest with sample-based drum-machines, because the sound is kinda fixed but for analog synthezisers it gets really really difficult. But some people really can! it totally impressive.

I think the better way is to work with statistics, If you are looking for the synth used in a minimal-synth record from 80 say, you check out the most common ones at the time, available at reasonable prices for a DIY minimal-synthezist , correct me on this but pretty good guesses are ms-20 or maybe Roland sh-1 or something for the monophonic sound. For those classical detuned leads of transparent illusion, you’d have to go for something like mono/poly maybe. For an FM-synth-lead from 84 check first if DX7 fits the bill. This is my guess on how you could work! In the end the list of plausible candidates could probably be narrowed down quite a lot….

Signature 

<div><div>
</div></div>

1 of 1