1 of 1
Call that MINIMAL?!
Posted: 31 March 2006 09:23 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  840
Joined  2006-03-03

Hi,

In recent years, as you’ve all surely noticed, “MINIMAL SYNTH” in an ebay ad seems to mean just about every type of music.

This can lead to buyers spending $ on records they dont need, afraid that they miss out on something great that they hadn’t heard and might not find again.

So to try and prevent this, I’m opening up a thread where you can slag off those so-called Minimal records, the stuff you find desperately overrated, the 1986 reggae-pop single that you paid $20 for because the ad said “Top minimal synth item!” and you believed them…

The reason I started this thread now, is that I got one of these f*ckers today.  :evil:  it was advertised as “obscure minimal synth pop”, of course, and I went for it at $11.50 without having heard it.

The band is called IN COLOUR and they released a pop-funk single in the mid 80s called “Now Or Never”.
The single is synth-led, that much is true, but the vocals are of the (ahem) Soul variety (Think Pop Idol on tv!) and the music owes more to Jermaine Stewart or Stock/ Aitken/ Waterman than Snowy Red and John Bender. More DX-7 than MS-20. Hornblasts ‘n stuff. Made me weep, this one did.

I have probably a dozen more examples of “fake” minimal if you want them, I’ll just wait and see if the thread picks up :wink:

Posted: 31 March 2006 10:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  330
Joined  2005-12-14

-The 9 Stations : I don’t believe you/New Romance (7”)
(announced as Belgian minimal synth masterpiece, but it’s just a funky melody, not even slightly cold wave).

Posted: 03 April 2006 04:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  214
Joined  2005-12-17

Killer Whales “Emotional Geography” LP.  Listed as New Wave/Minimal Synth.  When I got it there was one song that had a synthesizer prominently in the mix, the rest was a bar rock band’s attempt at crossing over to skinny tie rock.

Good album for what it is, definately not what I was expecting.  Luckily I only paid $9 with shipping.

Posted: 03 April 2006 06:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  727
Joined  2005-12-05

While I sympathise with the purpose of this thread I doubt whether it’s useful to mention records that once have been called minimal synth but arent. There are literally tens of thousands of obscure titles from the early eighties which could be sold as such, but arent.
And even if it is it doesnt say anything about the quality.

Wouldnt it be more useful to blacklist ebay sellers that are known for miscrediting their records as minimal synth / cold wave?

Signature 

Delicious toes are swimming in my soup

Posted: 03 April 2006 09:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-03

Whoa, Spartak!

>Wouldnt it be more useful to blacklist ebay sellers that are known for
>miscrediting their records as minimal synth / cold wave?

Yes, far more useful. However, there are two problems with this:

1. Backlash. If I blacklist someone (e.g. on this forum?), I run the risk of getting my bids cancelled from this seller on Ebay, and many of the ‘worst’ dealers also sometimes sell items I want. As a record collector, I need access to all dealers who might sell something I want.
2. Libel. Theoretically, if I am dissatisfied with the service of a dealer, for the right or the wrong reasons, I could use such a black list to slander him…

(Also, if we just stick to the records, I would think it’s easier to get a friendly, objective discussion. You wouldn’t believe how touchy some of these swindlers are…)

Personally, I find it interesting to see what ITEMS other collectors have been disappointed with. Yes there are 10.000s of obscure titles, but this field of collecting is comparatively new and Ive seen lots of mediocre records get caught in the hype. If I see something sold as minimal once, I’m more likely to bid on it next time, so if this list gets a few more titles it might work as a “no-no” list, at least for me.

Of course, if you want a “black list”, start the thread, I might be tempted to join that discussion too… :wink:

Posted: 03 April 2006 10:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  560
Joined  2006-03-18

I think a list of bands that are mislabeled as Minimal-wave/electro can be helpfull to prevent others from making the same mistake. The same as it is very helpfull that you share your discovery of a forgotten Minimalgem with others ( no I don’t mean puting it on SoulSeek or something like that).

Signature 

Brian Eno sank my battleship

Posted: 04 April 2006 12:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  330
Joined  2005-12-14

Interesting topic, but as already mentioned by others, quite difficult.  Because, what do you personnally expect under the flag “minimal” ? The minimal I’m interested in must be “wave, cold, melancholic, drummachine, etcetera”.  SynthPOP is not something I’m interested in.

On the other hand, is “Norma Loy” minimal ? Not in my opinion, but I like the first 12” because it’s good dark/coldwave.  Nevertheless, on ebay, people are paying fortunes to get these records.  Same thing for “Mecano”. 
One day, I saw a record of Christian Death listed as minimal. 8O
Is “Dark White” minimal ? (for me synthwave)
“Base of Subsoil” ? (for me ebm)
etcetera etcetera….
So, mp3-files are always welcome before buying something.  Or Soulseek of course…

Posted: 04 April 2006 10:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-03
[quote author=“minicold”]So, mp3-files are always welcome before buying something.  Or Soulseek of course…

Agreed! However, those comments of yours about Norma Loy, Dark White and the others are very interesting to me as well.

Even if I do like Synthpop!  :wink:

Posted: 06 April 2006 10:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  75
Joined  2006-01-05

Why don´t promote Zappa as minimal?

Hey, sorry I don´t agree at all. Yes, those sellers who always try to promote their shitty stuff as “minimal” also get on my nerves, since it makes it more
difficult to find the items i might be interested in…but it also gave me one or the other laugh at those greedy hardcore collectors, who always bid on anything which could be the “next big thing” and I already knew how horrible these records are. I can´t be too keen on a record, which I haven´t even heard before. Buying stuff you never heard of bases somehow on the sick notion you could ever get hold on any record you like and might fancy. All of us - without exception - never will. The main question is: What is more important collecting or the music itself? “Play it cool boys!”  :wink:
Go over to your shelf, fetch a record you haven´t heard for years and
discover which hidden gems are still waiting to be discovered :D
Cheers

1 of 1