1 of 1
Portion Control - Archive (PC, 2006)
Posted: 17 October 2006 12:43 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2006-03-09

aarhive_banner.gif

At long last an impressive 5 CD box-set is now available to purchase directly (or unfortunately, ONLY) from the group’s official website merchandise. Ordering a copy wasn’t at all as easy due to formalities on mail order with Paypal option which many countries still have no support for, so any other chance of laying hands upon ‘Archive’ means patience and other ways through any possible distributor.

I must say I am not sorry for a single penny invested in this masterpiece collection. Well, it is not entirely 10/10 issue but it is not any lower either - for this IS the weirdest electronic noise made on this side of Throbbing Gristle/Cabaret Voltaire.

There are many sides to Portion Control, many of which helped informing electronic music, shaping it up towards harder edgy dancefloor exercised by many of those after them - among possible admirers and apprentices, the ever-present cult groups Nitzer Ebb or Front 242 are not to be missed an example here - ‘Raise the Pulse’, ‘Go Talk’, ‘The Great Divide’, ‘Step Forward’ or ‘Rough Justice’ are just a few examples, bombastic underground funk that stood the test of time, informing at least one third of electronic body sound while on the other hand Portion Control remain avantgarde guerilla electro which owes more to radical language of a certain Muslimgauze, 400 Blows, 23 Skidoo and especially Clock DVA.

Separated on five discs (four as audio overdose, the fifth CD contains MP3s of all four discs in high quality plus exclusive picture archive and brilliant ‘Refugee Rebuild’ in wav format), wrapped in a heavy carboard square slipcase, ‘Archive’ is a bit scattered affair - choosing to put it random contents rather than chronological set up is also welcome for listening to it gives a better perspective - from ‘grey’ white noise to discotheque-friendly (and sometimes a bit dense - take ‘Psycho Bod Saves the World’ which, despite heavy-duty rhythms, seems to be the weakest from the lot, basically serving its documentary purpose).

PC.jpg

The greatest strength of ‘Archive’, of course, lays in their more abstract, bruised electronique - brilliant ‘I Staggered Mentally’, ‘Surface and Be Seen’, ‘Hit the Pulse’ and ‘Simulate Sensual’. Voices range between Genesis P-Orridge and Stephen Mallinder although Portion Control cherish vocal melody in their own right - at times singing like potential serial killers (‘Chew You To Bits’) while on the other hand emotional delivery traces one Douglas McCarthy before he actually tested his throat to the mic. Extraordinary parts of glitch ahead of its time (‘Spinola (Blotch)’ from ‘Surface and Be Seen’) aren’t advised to be listened to at high volumes however its irresistable pulse will simply force you to blow your head off everytime you put them on.

For more info please visit http://www.portion-control.net (and grab one :wink: )

Posted: 17 October 2006 04:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  181
Joined  2006-03-14

At last. thanks for the info. (and there goes this months budget ...  :? )

BB

Signature 

HGW XX/7

Posted: 19 October 2006 08:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  840
Joined  2006-03-03

Hmmm…
Four CDs of their vinyl output in non-chronological order? Plus the lot as mp3, and an “exclusive picture archive”?? Sorry, but I’m not very impressed.

I have most of their vinyl, and although some of it is brilliant to say the least, by far the most is stuff I never listen to.

I should get it anyway I guess, if only for “Surface and be seen” in better sound quality…

What I’d really like though is a box set of their old cassettes as remastered CDs!! -And chronology intact please.

Posted: 19 October 2006 08:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2006-03-09

Yes, the cassettes would be nice… but now that the trend of such stuff appearing out of the blue, these might see the light of day after all… Lucky you for having these on original vinyl. For those who have them not, this box set is ‘God given’  :D

1 of 1