4 of 4
pre-DEPECHE MODE
Posted: 24 November 2006 01:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  840
Joined  2006-03-03

[quote author=“Spartak”]
Ah yes Croatia is not Yugoslavia. Nevermind that Serbia and Croatia were part of Yugoslavia,  speak the same language (which is part of the ‘south slavic’ branch) and the local synthpop scene has close relations.
I’m not a stranger to your region Solist, and i know enough to say your attitude is a cancer in that region.

YOUR attitude however, was shared by many great men… Attilla, Caesar, lots of them :twisted:

How would you react if someone says they’re from Poland? Poland used to be incorporated in various neighboring countries before getting the borders they now have… I’m Norwegian, but since Norway has only been separated from Denmark since 1905 and from Sweden since 1814, maybe I should say Scandinavian?

I feel the lights of Croatia in front of me, taking me, guiding me ho-ome…

Posted: 24 November 2006 01:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  727
Joined  2005-12-05

sorry reactor, but you missed my point. I use ‘Yugoslavia’ to define a region, from which both Croatia and Serbia form a part.

Do you know the Netherlands reactor? I know enough about both the Netherlands and Yugoslavia to make this bold statement: there arent more differences between someone from Slovenia and Macedonia compared to someone from Friesland and Limburg (they have a different religion, different race and different language). The main difference, however, is that in the netherlands we look at what binds us, not that what divides us.
If all of Europe would take the ‘Croatia is not Yugoslavia’ approach, we would have 100+ nations .

it’s like saying, norway is not part of scandinavia, and netherlands is not part of the benelux. I’m not stupid. i know the differences between friesland and limburg or belgium and the netherlands. But there are strong enough connections in those regions that allow me to use yugoslavia as a paraplu for a local scene.

Signature 

Delicious toes are swimming in my soup

Posted: 24 November 2006 01:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-03

Ah, but all those 100 nations would have the blue flag with the yellow stars, right?

Sorry Spartak, I’m only joking, when possibly I shouldn’t have.
And you’re right - I know little about the Netherlands… :wink:

Posted: 24 November 2006 01:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-05

[quote author=“reactorlgtn”]Ah, but all those 100 nations would have the blue flag with the yellow stars, right?

Sorry Spartak, I’m only joking, when possibly I shouldn’t have.
And you’re right - I know little about the Netherlands… :wink:

I don’t feel the need to welcome 20 dwarfstates with a slightly different pronounciation of ‘first canons then butter’ into the civilised world.

Signature 

Posted: 24 November 2006 09:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2006-03-09

Spartak, first of all I do not understand YOUR attitude here… Secondly, I certainly don’t like the direction this conversation is taking… I didn’t mean to turn this discussion into a socio-political battle of sorts, I corrected you for reasons feeling like owing you an explanation… And pardon me, Yugoslavia (or whatever is left from it, with now-dispersed indie-countries, Croatia included) is part of the Balkans which, I guess, should fit in more properly with your suggestions of a ‘region’...  I am not some sick patriot nor think of my country except a place to live at the moment - recognised and established the way it is and I don’t really see the importance of my saying the way you implied with such protest… Apologies if my reply made you feel sour, degraded, angry or insulted by any means but the way you’re reacting and commenting my words, citing them in some, say sarcastic manner, is at its best - childish (not to say foolish)...

The way you wrote you’re no stranger to my region - sorry - should I understand this in the way that we both actually KNOW eachother?  Perhaps not. I still don’t understand what you meant by saying ‘you know enough’ and that my ‘attitude is a cancer in that region’? Give me a break! How can you tell who I am and what kind of person I am and what my attitudes are - from a simple sentence as that?!? I lived in Yugoslavia for 15 years of my life, on the verge of the political turmoil, I remember some of its ‘light of the history’ - so, please my friend, spare me the lectures about the South Slavic branch, us speaking the same language or the local synth-pop scene with close relations. I am aware of that, like it in my own way and respect people for whatever their nationality, language/dialect or whatever otherwise makes them as distinctive. If you have a problem with refusing ‘20 dwarfstates’, it is truly your problem and yours alone… And I am no longer willing to participate in that kind of discussion.

Speaking of synth-pop, maybe we should get back to the pre-DM topic, don’t you agree? Respects.

Posted: 24 November 2006 11:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-05

Let me be more precise about what hit a wrong nerve with me.
Indeed i made a suggestion both you and the source were from (former) Yugoslavia. if both you and the source of the demo tape were from Croatia i would have said Croatia instead.
But there is no Croatian Synthpop and there is no Serbian synthpop. There was Yugoslav synthpop. If I hear Croats and Serbs speak of Denise & Denise or Max & Intro i feel a shared identity that gave me some hope that some cultural identity (synthpop) still stayed transslavic / not national. So to talk about synthpop in the Yugoslav region but treat the new nations as seperate entities with a seperate synthpop scene and identity seems very strange to me.
Then, I made clear in my reply i was indeed aware you were from Croatia but you felt the need to underline Croatia was not part of Yugoslavia anymore. 
This implied (for me) something was wrong with ‘Yugoslavia’. If i misread or read too much in your words I sincerily apologise (I do agree i have a tendency to do this), but sometimes what is left unsaid says the most.

And this whole ‘whodidit’ is just too banal. You said you coincidently named it the same. I made a ‘regional link’ (which i regret to have made but your remarks triggered my curiosity) but you said you didnt share it with anyone, so i take your word and even if i didnt that would have been my problem. But to be honoust, to make a drama out of some joke/ forgery of a few songs is just not worth it.

Signature 

Posted: 25 November 2006 05:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Joined  2006-03-09
[quote author=“Spartak”]if both you and the source of the demo tape were from Croatia i would have said Croatia instead.

Ok, I will try sort this out once and for all as well - sorry, but I happened to find out about the ‘Demonstration Tapes’ origin being Yugoslavian from you. I stated my origins of collecting these tapes, have no idea who or why stretched it further, causing this confusion, cannot tell whether this distribution comes from any of the sources I was involved with directly or not. IF my ‘Demonstration Tapes’ took such an uneasy route (what I personally and truly doubt), I sincerely apologise to anyone here or anyone in general in that matter, believing (like myself) blindly that these were actually cut by DM.

[quote author=“Spartak”]But there is no Croatian Synthpop and there is no Serbian synthpop. There was Yugoslav synthpop.

Oh really? Well, I do agree with you on certain levels of such perception in terms of what’s ‘Yugoslav’ and what’s not. But look at your choice of words - ‘there IS’ and ‘there WAS’. The synth-pop you stated here is certainly part of one specific time in history and as such I also consider it Yugoslav synth-pop and never even intended reffering to as ‘Serbian’ or ‘Croatian’ alone.

[quote author=“Spartak”]If I hear Croats and Serbs speak of Denise & Denise or Max & Intro i feel a shared identity that gave me some hope that some cultural identity (synthpop) still stayed transslavic / not national. So to talk about synthpop in the Yugoslav region but treat the new nations as seperate entities with a seperate synthpop scene and identity seems very strange to me.

Maybe it seems strange to you, me or anyone else alright, but times have certainly changed somewhat rapidly and both, Croatia and Serbia now that we constantly point them out, do operate as separate entities regarding this kind of electronic scene which, especially today IS quite authentic as such. Especially Serbian scene which produced a considerable number of excellent new electronic bands and individuals, I personally made friends with some of them and pay my deepest respects to whatever they’re doing for it is unique. The groups you stated in your post, Denis & Denis or Max & Intro are now part of the past, to me musically speaking it is one decent musical past but groups like Lollobrigida, Apparatchik, Margita je mrtva, Ilegalne emocije, Florence Foster Fan Club, Monofonik or whoever in that matter NOW, form part to one decent musical present. There are certainly cultural links, especially those with the past speaking of influences and it still holds a candle to synth-pop which might be considered - from what you said - Yugoslavian. But when you look closer to it - Denis & Denis, Max & Intro or whoever in that sense creating synthie-pop back then wasn’t really ‘Yugoslavian’ trademark (except for singing in their mother tongue) - it was ‘just’ a revolutionary adaptation from abroad groups’ ideas - among which Depeche or The Human League made the strongest connection in terms of pop.

[quote author=“Spartak”]Then, I made clear in my reply i was indeed aware you were from Croatia but you felt the need to underline Croatia was not part of Yugoslavia anymore. This implied (for me) something was wrong with ‘Yugoslavia’.

Trust me, if there is someone who usually doesn’t underline any such whereabouts, that is probably me. As I said earlier, I just replied in most simple manner and you’re right - now this discussion is really going to miss the point of what’s there left to discuss about pre-DM. Regarding Yugoslavia, I guess something WAS wrong with it as such when it led its established federation of republics to collapse in the most horrific way - but that certainly had nothing to do with any of its former republics’ cultural and in that sense - musical sides of it. Just a sick political game but I am certainly not to start a new debate for things that we both probably cannot and will never understand/express properly.

And there is no need to apologise for you just stated your true opinion - it might be wrong in some ways just like these tiresome essays of mine might be wrong as well. Just like it might be right. The truth lies there somewhere, I guess… :wink:

[quote author=“Spartak”]And this whole ‘whodidit’ is just too banal. You said you coincidently named it the same. I made a ‘regional link’ (which i regret to have made but your remarks triggered my curiosity) but you said you didnt share it with anyone, so i take your word and even if i didnt that would have been my problem. But to be honoust, to make a drama out of some joke/ forgery of a few songs is just not worth it.

I cannot agree more. Respects. :D

Posted: 25 November 2006 05:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-05

yes and have a glass of rakija!

I probably read more into your remarks because of some past experiences with other Croats…but I am glad you set me straight on that smile

Signature 

Posted: 25 November 2006 06:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Joined  2006-03-09

:D personally I hate rakija of any sorts, makes me feel sick on the stomach (I’ll have a glass of beer instead :D ), and regarding these ‘past experiences with other Croats’ of yours - I understand what you mean. Every nation has its fair share of socio-political problems - I am more than aware of the moronic behaviour such ‘Croats’ practise - but these are luckily individuals lost in their national and whatever cultural misinterpretations and stupidity. Normal Croats which I truly believe are many, live their regular lives and don’t feel bothered by boundaries set by people forcing all that politically informed patriotic heartfelt bullshit. : )

Posted: 06 March 2011 09:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2007-04-10

Hi all, It’s about time to up this thread smile

Here are three snippets from the 1980 Composition of Sound tape, which has recently been sold via Ebay for £2000 to a “consortium” of fans:

Ice Machine
http://soundcloud.com/depechedemotape/ice-machine-demo-clip

Radio News (Unreleased song)
http://soundcloud.com/depechedemotape/radio-news-demo-clip

Photographic
http://soundcloud.com/depechedemotape/photographic-demo-clip

The authenticity of these recordings has just been verified by a current band member.

Imho, this is brilliant stuff, i especially like “Ice Machine” with Andy Fletcher on bass

About 35 people bought this tape, so the full versions will leak soon, I guess…

123lg.jpg

Posted: 07 March 2011 05:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]  
Administrator
RankRank
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2010-08-27

These are good enough to fool me, anyway! Like “Ice Machine”, when the high end suddenly jumps at you at 0:25, that sounds like a demo cassette. I also think it makes sense that they would use a real bass guitar at this point; when groups go from mainstream rock’n'roll guitar-bass-drums to electronic, they get rid of the guitar first and the bass last, don’t they?

Now, let someone who knows this stuff tear this one apart.

Posted: 07 March 2011 10:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-03
Bjakk - 07 March 2011 05:35 AM

Now, let someone who knows this stuff tear this one apart.

Noo, I don’t think so… according to http://www.side-line.com/news_comments.php?id=45928_0_2_0_C
the confusion comes from Vince Clarke, who may feel it’s slightly ridiculous when his first efforts fetch £2000 on ebay.

glad I didn’t notice this auction in time, I’d love to own this tape but I also like to eat and have a roof over my head smile

Posted: 07 March 2011 01:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2005-12-10

There’s another tape on ebay

It has the same photos Gadget posted before. The seller “can confirm” this tape is true.

Posted: 07 March 2011 05:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2007-04-10
samhain - 07 March 2011 01:27 PM

There’s another tape on ebay

It has the same photos Gadget posted before. The seller “can confirm” this tape is true.

Apparently the seller is a former or current Mute Records employee. Check out the snippets he uploaded today. Nitzer Ebb, Fad Gadget and Yazoo covering “Warm Leatherette”(!), an unreleased I Start Counting song. Damn, why didn’t they include all these gems in that Mute Audio Documents box-set :(

4 of 4