2 of 2
Live acts: backing tapes or…?
Posted: 25 June 2006 12:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  495
Joined  2006-02-03

Yesterday at our Hex party in Amsterdam Agent Side Grinder played LIVE!!!
NO LAPTOPS, NO MIDI,  NO BACKING CD/TAPE WHATEVER…
just pure & authentic live… tape loops, sequencers, analogue synths + improvisation… ABSOLUTE GREAT!!! This is how it should be…

Watch out for this band from Sweden!!!

Posted: 25 June 2006 11:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2006-06-25

How many instruments/channels did that guy play live? He also did not use hardware sequencers? I wonder how that goes then. If you have tracks with 2 channels/instruments only, it might work to play everything live without midi and stuff, but how should it work when you have tracks with a couple of instruments? Impossible without some automation. I can’t see anything bad on it, when someone plays some parts of a track live and some not. I think you guys expect sometimes a bit too much from electronic live acts

Posted: 26 June 2006 01:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  153
Joined  2006-04-10

I don’t expect more from electronic acts than any other kind of music. To me, live music means play live. Point barre. Genesis recorded huge albums in the 70’s (“the lamb lies down on broadway” or instance) and they achieved to play it back live, note by note each night ! I think nowadays musicians are lazy and listeners too. If I follow you, when I listen to my own demos and add/search synth parts I make a live.  LOL  This morning you miised my live show in my room :oops:

Posted: 26 June 2006 10:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  58
Joined  2005-12-21

hey alan - by your reasoning, drum machines cant be used “live” either?  the sound of minimal synth was defined by pre-set drum machines, step sequencers, and arpegiators - all automated processes… we arent talking about prog here (thank god)

but i do agree on some of your points, i dont like seeing karaoke acts.  in north america, acts like adult. and solvent use laptops - which i think is cheating/boring

Posted: 26 June 2006 11:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  727
Joined  2005-12-05

CR-78>looking forward to it!!

Signature 

Delicious toes are swimming in my soup

Posted: 26 June 2006 11:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2006-06-25
[quote author=“alanbyond”]I don’t expect more from electronic acts than any other kind of music. To me, live music means play live. Point barre. Genesis recorded huge albums in the 70’s (“the lamb lies down on broadway” or instance) and they achieved to play it back live, note by note each night ! I think nowadays musicians are lazy and listeners too. If I follow you, when I listen to my own demos and add/search synth parts I make a live.  LOL  This morning you miised my live show in my room :oops:

Yeah, but I did not talk about bands with 3 or 4 members which can share the job of playing various instruments/channels, but about electronic one-man-acts. There are a lot out there today. How should they handle various instruments at the same time? When they have running some pre-programed channels, it has nothing to do with laziness, but it is a must

Posted: 26 June 2006 01:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  153
Joined  2006-04-10
[quote author=“Decoder”]Yeah, but I did not talk about bands with 3 or 4 members which can share the job of playing various instruments/channels, but about electronic one-man-acts. There are a lot out there today. How should they handle various instruments at the same time? When they have running some pre-programed channels, it has nothing to do with laziness, but it is a must

Although I’m a one-man-acts, I don’t want to make fake live show. But it seems I was wrong to take the “live” show too seriously…  :cry:

To answer to Seth too, I prefer manual play than arpegg/sequencers in music because most of the time automaticon play becomes boring (DAF & Front 242 are the exceptions) to my ears. When I listen to “metamatic” from John Foxx I take a great pleasure because I feel the manual play of John.
:wink:

Posted: 27 June 2006 08:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  495
Joined  2006-02-03
[quote author=“Decoder”]How many instruments/channels did that guy play live? He also did not use hardware sequencers? I wonder how that goes then. If you have tracks with 2 channels/instruments only, it might work to play everything live without midi and stuff, but how should it work when you have tracks with a couple of instruments? Impossible without some automation. I can’t see anything bad on it, when someone plays some parts of a track live and some not. I think you guys expect sometimes a bit too much from electronic live acts

three people on stage, one tapeloops + manipulations and analogue sequencer one synths, one vocals…

2 of 2