1 of 1
Do you have a favorite string machine or combo keyboard?
Posted: 11 February 2010 03:30 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2010-01-07

I recently picked up a Yamaha SK20 for very little money, and I am surprised with the sound of this machine.  It’s an organ/string machine/paraphonic synth.  The string machine sounds great on its own, but when you combine it with the organ and synth sections it quickly turns into a dreamy soundscape generator.  The synth section also has a quirky charm to it.  I have not encountered many synths that sound like this one, though the filter does remind me of my CS-15.

Anyways, this has really opened my eyes/ears up to the world of these combo keyboards.  They seem to be a forgotten breed of keyboard instrument, one whose heyday generally spans the same period of time as the music that this label is primarily concerned with.  They also seem relatively cheap these days.

Does anyone here have a favorite?  Any insight to share on these machines?

Posted: 12 February 2010 01:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-02-15

about a year and a half ago i bought a russan string synth Elektronika EM-25 and i love it’s sound, it’s an additive synth, it has got strings, organ and wind sections and you can mix two sections at the time. it’s very broody and dark synth but it showed to be quite unreliable.

Posted: 12 February 2010 01:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  122
Joined  2005-12-27

my bandmate got an elka rhapsdy for super cheap. very nice, super lush. i usually just use the roland rs-09, though, which is hard to beat for portability, and the strings have a charmingly bright, wholly synthetic quality.
my fav string machine is the korg lambda, though, totally majestic and surprisingly versatile..

good to know the yamaha sk series is actually good! i’ve casually kept an eye out for cheap ones for the last couple years…

Posted: 14 February 2010 02:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2010-02-13

I have an SK20. It’s forgotten classic, isn’t it?
Small modulation possibilities, but sounds great. 3 sections mixed and detuned are magical.
It behaves weird sometimes - lacks keyboard scaling, so be prepared for volume bursts when resonance is high. There’s another weakness… don’t look for slow lfo.

Fiberglass cases for Rhapsody are cool.

What about Korg Delta? Quite strange machine. There’s something metallic about its sound. And synth section tends to be suprisigly agressive.

Posted: 18 February 2010 11:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  100
Joined  2005-12-25

Roland RS-202 sounds pretty good and they turn up here and there for cheap.  (RS-101 is the same but with, I think, just one chorus setting.)

VP-330 strings sound great but not a lot of variety there and generally $$$.

Something like an ESQ-1 should do nice strings if an appropriate chorus is slapped on it.  Anybody have a favorite stomp box for string ensemble style chorus?

Signature 

b l e a k

Posted: 18 February 2010 07:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  122
Joined  2005-12-27

@david - nathan showed me a great rack mounted fx unit that was designed precisely to emulate string-ensemble fx. it sounded awesome. can’t remember the name of it right now, i’ll find out.

Posted: 18 February 2010 07:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-25

Yes, I’d like to hear about it.  Switching the RS-202 ensemble off entirely makes it clear how much it adds.

The RS-101 and RS-202 have a very characteristic sound, really wheezy or something.  I think I hear it opening some Weimar Gesang tracks.

They are also nice because each key has it’s own envelope rather than being ‘paraphonic’ like VP-330 which can be a little strange at times (although sometimes it is nice to gradually ‘latch’ a cluster of increasingly inharmonic notes by playing legato and then suddenly switch to a clear chord by releasing the previously held keys… sometimes I can pull that off effectively but not always!)

RS-09 features in a lot of 17/faith era cure videos, is that the sound of ‘the funeral party’?

Signature 

b l e a k

Posted: 18 February 2010 11:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  282
Joined  2005-12-05

im using a Logan String Melody II and a Roland RS 09, tought the strings of the Kawai Sx 240 are so amazing…

Posted: 19 February 2010 02:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Joined  2010-01-07

teachu2die - I beleive you were talking about the JH Triple Chorus:

futility - I have an ESQ-1 and it does indeed make some nice string sounds.  It can make a very nice Numan-ish Polymoog string sound.  A chorus definitely helps, but the 3 independent LFO’s in that synth can make for a lot of motion as well.

Posted: 19 February 2010 03:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-25

Ah, I should have known it was J.Haible’s chorus!  I wonder if he still has PCBs…

@PeterM, funny you should mention the SX-240, I’ve been using that for strings at live shows rather than haul out something completely ancient.  The chorus is nice on that one too and I definitely prefer the SSM filter to the CEMs in most polys of that era.  SX-240 is a very underrated machine.

Signature 

b l e a k

Posted: 19 February 2010 01:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  282
Joined  2005-12-05

mostly all the tracks from Newclear Waves include the SX 240. i really love it. im completely agree with you, is very underrated!

Posted: 27 February 2010 03:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-02-26

hi guys, first post…i like it here smile
we use the moog opus3 for strings (and organs and bass) and some old crappy bontempi organ which has cheesy string section in it.
moog is a great machine, ours is semi functional, but filter and it’s envelope work ok, i can make pretty decent effects with it as well as strings

Posted: 27 February 2010 11:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-02-04

My favorite would be the Omni, great classic sound, even if I sold mine a few months ago.

I had the SK-15 and thought it was pretty bland, but I see you’re making good use of it uni on Atmospheric Reentry (hi, JB here)

There’s a rackmount unit called the Elkorus, which might be the unit someone mentioned here.

I’ve had about 8 stringer/ensemble units, they’re all fun but I always get bored of them after awhile.

Posted: 01 March 2010 03:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Joined  2010-01-07

Oooh I hadn’t seen the Elkorus before.  Nice one.

Hey JB!  smile

Posted: 08 August 2010 03:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2010-08-07

I use a Roland RS505 Paraphonic synth (notice my alias ?)

What a haunting sound… I’ll never part with mine.

P-Pho

1 of 1