1 of 2
Using a drum machine with a Juno 6 (arpeggiator synch)
Posted: 12 February 2010 03:12 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2010-02-03

Anybody here know which drum machine I can use to trigger the Juno 6 throught it’s clock input?

I know the manual lists a few Roland drum machines I can use, but is there any others models/brands that works for sure?

Also, since it’s an audio signal that is sent through the clock input, I heard that some drums samples could work to trigger. I tried a few drums parts samples, but none of them seem to work properly. Is there anywhere on the web I can find a drum sample that will actually works?  I searched but couldn’t find anything.

Thanks.

Posted: 12 February 2010 04:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2009-10-12

hi. any older drum machine that sends out positive triggers (roland tr-808, 606, boss dr.55, etc.) will drive your juno’s clock. I’ve also heard of people loudly sampling rimshot sounds or the like and cranking it out an individual out in their machine and having it work. That, or you could try running it through a headphone amp or something to get the gain high enough. But there may be some lag time through all that which wouldn’t be ideal.

Signature 

Posted: 12 February 2010 05:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  89
Joined  2000-11-09

[quote author=“greydominion”]I’ve also heard of people loudly sampling rimshot sounds or the like and cranking it out an individual out in their machine and having it work. That, or you could try running it through a headphone amp or something to get the gain high enough. But there may be some lag time through all that which wouldn’t be ideal.

Why use real sounds ?
Anybody can make a pulse with a sound editor.
Audacity is freeware so no problem obtaining one.
Just record a short mono silence and put the first samples at maximum with the drawing tool all programs have.

I made 2 for you to load into your sampler.
positive pulse: 
negative pulse: 
Only 180 bytes. 44.1khz, 8bit, 3ms total lenght. Fade out at 1,5ms to prevent double triggering. It should do the “trig”
You can experiment for better results.
It could well be that the negative pulse works better then the positive.

Using a headphone amp is perfect. It doesn’t produce any delay.

Succes,

Ton

Posted: 12 February 2010 06:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  282
Joined  2005-12-05

but to use a real drum machine…is completely different grin))

if u dont want to buy big beasts like the 808 or not even little as the 606, buy a cheap and great boss DR55 or DR110…my advice

Posted: 12 February 2010 07:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  122
Joined  2005-12-27

yup, and almost any old drum machine with a trigger output should work for the juno 6. only notable examples that would fail to do so springing to mind are the korg kr-55 and kpr-77.
outside of the many roland and boss examples, there are also good drum machines by soundmaster (sr-88 and stix) and oberheim (dx/dmx) and sequential drumtraks (? that one has trigger out right?)). the later kawai r100 (the true EBM monster machine) also has a trigger output. most of these are reasonably cheap. in a slightly higher price bracket, there’s the linndrum, and there are some newer things, like the machinedrum and some MFB drum machines..

Posted: 12 February 2010 08:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRank
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2010-02-01

You’ve read this post already right?
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2512520

This looks cool too:
http://www.doepfer.de/msy2.htm

Posted: 12 February 2010 02:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  282
Joined  2005-12-05

[quote author=“teachu2die”]yup, and almost any old drum machine with a trigger output should work for the juno 6. only notable examples that would fail to do so springing to mind are the korg kr-55 and kpr-77.
outside of the many roland and boss examples, there are also good drum machines by soundmaster (sr-88 and stix) and oberheim (dx/dmx) and sequential drumtraks (? that one has trigger out right?)). the later kawai r100 (the true EBM monster machine) also has a trigger output. most of these are reasonably cheap. in a slightly higher price bracket, there’s the linndrum, and there are some newer things, like the machinedrum and some MFB drum machines..

my stix and drumtraks are currently at the technician..got some probs hmmm

the sr 88 is almost like the dr 55, even in the sounds, but is very great as well too, ultra minimal grin

Posted: 12 February 2010 02:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
RankRank
Joined  2009-10-12

I don’t think the drumtraks or the oberheim machines send out the proper triggers to drive the Juno as I had both of them.

Signature 

Posted: 12 February 2010 02:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-27

hmm, you sure hayden? 95% sure i recall using a DX to trigger an sh-101 (my memory is a little fried, though). it’s possible, though, that the DMX doesn’t have trigger out or something, but i thought they were pretty similar in their architecture. wasn’t really sure on the drumtraks, maybe i’m confusing it w/ the TOM? i’ve never personally played w/ any of the sequential drum machines.  the pro-one sequencer is triggered fine by roland drum machines, and i remember people telling me the drumtraks had trigger out..

@ peter m - i don’t have a stix, never been able to find one. my sr-88 broke a few months after i got it and i still haven’t fixed it. it sounds like crap, but in the best way! i loved cranking distortion on it. and yeah, it’s a total dr-55 rip off, heh…

Posted: 13 February 2010 03:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Administrator
RankRank
Joined  2009-10-12

I remember my dmx’s click out would only drive my ob8’s arp but nothing else. Not 100%  on the drumtracks because I didn’t have it for too long. I found a stix recently. Probably will get it as long as the price is right.

Signature 

Posted: 13 February 2010 06:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-27

vintage synth says drumtraks has click in/out but then in the blurb seems to indicate that it has roland-compatible dinsync, so maybe it just has the latter? dunno. there are better, similarly priced drum machines for the purpose of the original poster, in any case.

dunno about the dmx, i see no reason why it would only step the ob8 arpeggiator and not anything else, unless they had some protocol that only allowed the ob-8 and DMX to interface? doesn’t seem like a very practical move, but it certainly could be the case. like i said, pretty certain the DX trigger out works as expected, though.

Posted: 13 February 2010 09:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2010-02-03

This is really helpful. Thanks a lot. I guess I’ll try to get a dr 55 as it looks oth a cheap and safe choice.

I obviously prefer a real drum machine, but in the meantime, I willing to try a sample. So thanks Ton, I will check the sound you posted.

Posted: 13 February 2010 09:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  89
Joined  2000-11-09

[quote author=“modern_pickle”]This is really helpful. Thanks a lot. I guess I’ll try to get a dr 55 as it looks oth a cheap and safe choice.

I obviously prefer a real drum machine, but in the meantime, I willing to try a sample. So thanks Ton, I will check the sound you posted.

You’re welcome.
I just resampled the trigger sounds. The first ones I posted were way to short.
I appears the trigger time should be at least 1 ms so I lenghtened it.
The links to the samples remain the same.
Hope this works better,

Ton

Posted: 18 February 2010 11:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  100
Joined  2005-12-25

Kawai R-100 has a programmable trigger output (& DIN sync.)

Modifying the KRs for V-trigger output is pretty simple (thanks to Ramiro for advice on that!) with the caveat that the whole note trigger is too weak to do much.  There may be a way around that, but it frankly doesn’t bother me.  I can send a picture that shows the entire mod: lift two component leads and jumper with a short wire.

Signature 

b l e a k

Posted: 18 February 2010 12:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Administrator
RankRank
Joined  2009-10-12

Post it please!

Signature 

Posted: 18 February 2010 04:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  100
Joined  2005-12-25

KR-55 convert trigger output to V-trigger

4369732866_4835c9c7ba_o.jpg

Lift base of Q9 and +5v end of R75, jumper the two holes thus created. Selectable trigger out becomes V trigger instead of S-Trigger with the caveat that the whole note output is too low to be of much use. Replacing R70 with a 10K resistor might fix this, no guarantees.  Thanks to Ramiro for help withthis, btw!

Signature 

b l e a k

1 of 2