1 of 1
Will this fly?
Posted: 19 October 2007 04:09 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  644
Joined  2005-12-04

If a company is willing to put out a product for vinyl enthusiasts I think its a sure sign that records are on a healthy rise. That’s a good thing.
But is this really the future of recorded media? I highly doubt it.
I could be wrong…who knows.

vinyldisc.jpg

German manufacturers Optimal Media Production claim that their new VinylDisc is a hybrid CD/vinyl album that will play in an optical drive or on a turntable: “The VinylDisc is a combination audio CD and special record. It consists of two attached layers. The silver layer contains digital audio information, while the black upper layer can be played on every record player.”
Link :

Signature 

It’s all about the aboveground!

Posted: 20 October 2007 03:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  840
Joined  2006-03-03

In a world where some people seem content with music being treated as mere information, stored as 1’s and 0’s on computers, I hold my breath and hope for a New Dawn of the Gadget!

CD’s to play on vinyl decks? What a weird idea.
I must have one :-D

Posted: 20 October 2007 05:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  644
Joined  2005-12-04

I’m interested in getting one myself.
But I’m thinking it will be a pain in the arse to play on a turntable.
This will be cool (or maybe not) for the labels and artist who feel they can reach a larger crowd by releasing a CD. Why not use this medium and kill two birds at the same time?
It would be nice if they can make this on a 12” size. But then you would need to come up with a new cd player…..ahh…just thinking out loud again wink

Signature 

It’s all about the aboveground!

Posted: 20 October 2007 06:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  501
Joined  2007-02-21

I think the cost factor might be crucial here.

If these can be produced rather inexpensively, the idea might appeal to a lot of small labels and they might get manufactured on a wider scale.

If on the other hand production cost makes the price double, then this fad gagdet might only be the technology of choice for super limited collector releases.

Anyways, seems like it’s Vorsprung durch Technik time again..or was it four spring duck technique… :wink:

Posted: 05 October 2008 10:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2006-02-19

I’m thinking it will appeal to neither market moreso than the existing mediums do…

For example, it would be too much effort for people who just want to throw in a CD, and for people who want vinyl, it will probably be seen as a sort of lesser version of vinyl.

1 of 1

francais drum machine      |     Roland SH-101 & CR-68 ››