Total Posts:  37
Joined  2006-04-20

Snif…...

Posted: 23 April 2007 01:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  501
Joined  2007-02-21

Well, I’d say with 150 copies “expensive” is kind of relative. The effort to get good audio quality (if it has been made), the cover design, then if you only get 150 copies pressed, you’re not the plant’s top candidate for volume discounts either….etc etc.

In a nutshell, if you sell them for Euro 15, your maximum turnover (not profit) would be Euro 2.250,- , which doesn’t really look like the fast track to getting rich to me, and you are still carrying the risk of not selling all of them.

And the bootleg aspect - if there’s no possibility of an official release, is it better to have a bootleg than nothing or some mp3s (unless of course you have Euro 1.200,- of loose cash in this case)? I think here it’s up to the individual if they go for it or not.

Posted: 23 April 2007 05:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  727
Joined  2005-12-05

I would agree with your points if they were selling it for 15. But they sell it for double that amount. Sounds like a nice ROI when you just splashed out a thousand or so to get one.

Signature 

Delicious toes are swimming in my soup

Posted: 23 April 2007 06:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-21

Hi Spartak,

Well, as far as I remember, I didn’t quite say it looks like a labour of love to me and the poor guys will automatically go bankrupt in the process.  :D
I merely wanted to stress the fact that there is also cost and risk involved, and seen from the consumer end, if you want it badly on vinyl, Euro 29,- compared to Euro 1.200 looks rather inexpensive.

Somebody out there decided it’s THE item when you’re into minimal synth, so these guys think they can ask more for it than for a normal reissue. And chances are some people will pay more.

I’m not gonna buy it, BTW 8)

Posted: 23 April 2007 08:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  75
Joined  2006-01-05

yeah, these bootleggers are the collectors´ sister of mercy

Poor visuals, seemingly low sound quality, no extras.
It´s just about making money of an somehow undeserved cult album, but this leads to another thread called “most overrated albums”.
I should really start such a nice thread instead of discussing needless bootlegs. I fell once in this trap buying the LP of “A Slight Delay” and will never again. :wink:

Posted: 23 April 2007 09:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  727
Joined  2005-12-05

haha yes i vote A Slight Delay worst bootleg ev4r. I wouldnt be surprised if it’s the same people behind this one.
But a bootleg is still 100 times better then forgeries that ripp-off people and defile the original.

Signature 

Delicious toes are swimming in my soup

Posted: 23 April 2007 03:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  644
Joined  2005-12-04

I got an extra copy so don’t worry I will save someone in here when they are crying for not getting it wink

Signature 

It’s all about the aboveground!

Posted: 23 April 2007 08:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-21
[quote author=“cr-78”]I got an extra copy so don’t worry I will save someone in here when they are crying for not getting it wink

You really start to scare me, CR-78, it seems you have an extra copy of just about everything (good thing when Death comes knocking on your door, BTW). 

So I guess you were referring to all of the items mentioned in this thread, including the original Still Human release?  :D

Posted: 24 April 2007 02:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-04

Falck, only be scared when you come to the realization that you had the chance of getting the record but didn’t.
:wink:

Unfortunately i don’t have the original but then again if i had it i would be pretty upset just about now. Ouch! for those who have it….i feel your pain.

Oh, and don’t be surprised. I’m sure there are more of these “holy grails” coming! and soon!

Signature 

Posted: 24 April 2007 05:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  129
Joined  2005-12-05

Guess there are two ways of collecting; one who desires both the original and the music on vinyl and then the other one that mainly wants the vinyl. Those filesharing guys are left out…

Posted: 24 April 2007 06:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  89
Joined  2006-05-30

[quote author=“samen”]Guess there are two ways of collecting; one who desires both the original and the music on vinyl and then the other one that mainly wants the vinyl. .

What about those who dont have 800$ spare for the original? 
I dont believe that the problem is the bootlegs but the sellers and the people who buy those “holy grails” in such insane prices..

Signature 

The story ‘s over.. and I dont want no tears

Posted: 24 April 2007 06:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-21

Trespasser_W:

Well I don’t think it’s generally the sellers’ fault if prices are high for certain items - dealers also tend to have gazillions of garbage records they have to sell at very low prices because nobody wants them.

And as dealers need food and accomodation like the next guy, they will not give away their gems for free.

But no Spartak, I’m not saying dealers are in it for the love of Christ and yes, there are some evil guys out there ...  :D

I’d say what makes our treasure expensive is rather the combination of those records being rare, in general demand and the fact that some people are prepared to pay a lot of money for them.

And if some people think a record is worth a year’s salary to them, well, so be it.

Personally, I don’t think you have to spend thousands of Euros on some hype records to call yourself a collector.

Posted: 24 April 2007 07:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  89
Joined  2006-05-30

Yes, I will agree to that, and I’m sure that if I had the financial background I wouldnt hesitate to give the money no matter how much sellers would ask LOL    but I dont hmmmmm :?

But back to the subject, the point is that this is a bootleg of a VERY expensive release, and which according to what Snowy said, doesnt seem to have a chance of an official re-release.. so just consider this the “poor mans edition” of Still Human..

and as for the sound quality, honestly how worse could it be? we’re talking about Transparent Illusion right? Maybe it will sound even more Lo-Fi in the bootleg version :D
ok, this was just a joke…

Signature 

The story ‘s over.. and I dont want no tears

Posted: 24 April 2007 08:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-04
[quote author=“samen”] Those filesharing guys are left out…

MP3 collectors?

Signature 

Posted: 24 April 2007 09:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  243
Joined  2005-12-04

I can’t talk for others, but for myself.

First of all, I love the music, second : I love vinyl.
But I am neither able nor willing to pay insane prices, so I am happy with Re-Issues or Bootlegs if the sound is okay.
Van Kaye was not really great, true, but it was from Tape and nobody would pay a studio to master demotapes for a bootleg…
For this one I guess it will be better, at least better than a bad mp3-rip…

I also don’t give a damn about the big sellers whining for the prices dropping like crazy because of this, fuck it, who cares…
It is not BUSINESS, it is all about music !
Do you think it is cool to hoard rest-stocks of good records to sell them at crazy prices when you maybe paid like 5 bucks each ?
My respect to collectors that also trade far below the e-bay price if they see that somebody is really happy with a record and get something decent for it they always liked !

Well, let the guy that did these bootlegs win maybe 20€ each copy, but he WILL make like 150 people with low budget happy !

Just a shame that the band doesn’t get it’s share on this story, they would deserve it.

I definitely WILL buy my copy, in fact, it is already reserved, and also maybe 1-2 spare copies for (small) trades too.

Just my 2 cents :p
Mike

Signature 

Pika Pi ?

2 of 4

Mailorder wants vinyl      |     Mark Lane Fans ››