1 of 2
Gear Suggestions
Posted: 21 March 2007 02:02 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Administrator
RankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2007-03-04

First off, sorry if this post is a bit junior..

I have three questions:

1. does anyone have any experience with the Roland Jupiter 4? I have the chance to buy one for about 400 canadian, which seems to be a steal. I’ve read it’s kinda limited… advice..?

2. Does anyone out there have any advice on midi gear? I want INEXPENSIVE midi gear at that!!

3. Does anyone have any advice on low-end mixers? I’m thinking about getting a Behringer Xeynx…

Thanks and I love you all.
Luke

Posted: 21 March 2007 08:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  100
Joined  2005-12-25

1. I’ve no personal experience, but it is an absolutely perfect synth for someone who digs what this site is all about.  Warm/Cold sound, arpeggiator with hold function and external clock input, user memories.  Perfect for live use (if a little large.)  If you aren’t going to bite for $400 canadian, please PM me the contact info for the seller!  I’ve been very interested in this board.

2. Not sure what type of MIDI gear you want.  Late model USB interfaces can be had for little on eBay.  Cheap Synths I would look for: Clavia Micromodular, Alesis Micron, Casio CZ-101, Ensoniq SQ-80, Korg MS-2000.  You won’t find much analog gear ‘cheap’ without hunting.

3. Mixer: I like the Yamaha digitals (used ProMix01, 01v won’t set you back much & includes usable FX.)

Signature 

b l e a k

Posted: 22 March 2007 12:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2007-03-04

Thanks for the tips!

I’m going to go check out the Jupiter 4 this weekend. If I can’t afford it or I don’t think it’s for me, I’ll let you know!

Posted: 23 March 2007 06:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  214
Joined  2005-12-17

Korg Poly800 can be had for between $100-$200.  Analog oscillators, midi in/out, easy to program and modify.

http://www.synthmod.net/korg/moog_slayer/

Posted: 23 March 2007 09:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  319
Joined  2005-11-12

1. I like the Jupiter 4. It does have that nice warm sound. Slightly limited but worth 400 Canadian.

2. I’d say skip getting the midi gear, get all analog gear and buy a midi-c/v converter http://www.audiomidi.com/MCV4-P3011.aspx (you can get a cheaper version on ebay)
that way if you want to use midi to sequence you can, and that way you aren’t only limited to midi gear. The sounds of older gear (pre 1983) are simply warmer than the midi keyboard sounds. It also depends on what you are going for in the end.

3. I’m not sure about the Behringer Xeynx but I have a Behringer mixer and I think it’s great.

Posted: 23 March 2007 04:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2007-02-24

Thanks a lot everyone! I appreciate all this great advice!

Posted: 25 March 2007 04:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
RankRank
Total Posts:  39
Joined  2006-09-05

I like nothing from Korg to Roland or EDP ... all of those are warm analog but too thin for my tastes ... the other compagnies left for me ... everyone has its taste ...

Signature 

http//secondhanddaylight.heavenforum.com/

Posted: 28 March 2007 12:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  58
Joined  2005-12-21
[quote author=“KINETIX”]I like nothing from Korg to Roland or EDP ... all of those are warm analog but too thin for my tastes

might be your programming style?  alot of the characteristic of a mono synth is in the filter - or also what you run it into (delay? digital recorder? big fat amp with EQ?)

i like thin too sometimes (dicky design) - but its nice to have a gnarly old moog around when you need it.

JP4 is a fantastic synth, but you might look into get it modified with more input/output options if you find it constrictive to use.

Posted: 05 April 2007 08:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  89
Joined  2005-12-01

Luke2,

I don’t have input on the Jupiter but regarding midi and Snowy’s comment, one problem you could run into with cv-midi conversion is the polyphony issue.  Most of the affordable analog stuff is either not polyphonic or difficult-to-impossible to sequence polyphonically.

RE: the Poly800, I always hated it smile But, it is cheap. My advice would be to get an ex800 instead and a midi keyboard that has some knobs, transport controls,  etc for tweaking and other gear.

I have a dead behringer and Snowy’s little old Yamaha which is built like a tank if a little noisy.

Posted: 09 April 2007 09:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  214
Joined  2005-12-17
[quote author=“cinico”]RE: the Poly800, I always hated it smile But, it is cheap. My advice would be to get an ex800 instead and a midi keyboard that has some knobs, transport controls,  etc for tweaking and other gear.

That’s why I suggested it.  I love my Poly800s, but I am in the minority.  I have not paid more than $100 for any of them, and over the years I have owned 3 EX800s, 2 Poly800s and a Poly800II.  For CHEAP midi gear I always suggest Poly800 or a CZ101.

Posted: 14 April 2007 03:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-11-12

There have been some questions regarding the missing three pages of this thread!  So let’s clarify some things.

**Within that 3 page tangent, there was a post re: the project called “Second Hand Daylight Records” / “Kinetix” claiming that there was a partnership between them and Minimal Wave. For anyone wondering about this, the answer is no there is absolutely no connection between SDR (Kinetix) and Minimal Wave. Therefore, that was a completely false statement and if Kinetix would like to continue to post here, he should probably apologize for making these false claims.

Posted: 15 April 2007 01:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Administrator
RankRank
Total Posts:  39
Joined  2006-09-05

It seems to be a school under 16 years discussion , your way of saying this . This is childish .... you can’t see it ? ....

What I meant by “partnership” or what you should have simply understood was only FRIENDSHIP ... ( but FRIENDSHIP for me , is something that goes over everything and over any PARTNERSHIP or Money Relation Influence or Interest wink) - the fact that we are friends with MW and they like some things we do (in a whole) and also me definitely by reverse . So , If you don’t like SECONDHAND DAYLIGHT RECORDS then you’re maybe wrong in your views . And you have to thing it twice , consequently back then . That was the point . So , please try to forget this story of “False or True Partnership Polemic” if that contradicts you then to sleep at night lol lmao ! *stupid reaction of you*

This FRIENDSHIP ^^ ( it’s clearer now on terms , so everyone could sleep well )  , is based on the fact we have nearly the same BACKGROUND , and there is this TRUE CONNECTION of mind/Vision to a certain Music Industry , out of the Cold Cliché Thing or Dark Idioms/Dark People .

Think it twice with your misrespect about SDR cos it holds a source in NOTHING , except maybe JEALOUSY . I don’t like UNFAIR speakers , I don’t like UNFAIR people .

And what I can answer to YOU YOU YOU and ONLY YOU , Mr.Snowy is :

the answer is no there is absolutely no connection between Sonwy and The King of King who judge who is worth or better on Earth or Not !!!!!!!! :wink:

Jealousy kills people earlier . Be aware. We are also only Jealous of Things that worth , because it touches “THEM” and gives the envy . Otherwise , you would just don’t care abt what we are doin’ or sayin’ hehe Glad to see you were touched for a King like YOU who seems to know ( regarding to your misrespectful post upper ) which and why ppl are better or not ^^ . Same compliment for reactorlgtn & cr-78 for their open mind .

Bye 4 Now & Keep up the Edgy Synth Music ,
OUR ROMANCE IS FOR THE HEARTFUL

THIS IS MY LAST ANSWER ON THIS TOPIC

STOP +++ and STOP FOREVER because Everything has been said here // The Unfair has been killed by Justice so , STOP +++

Signature 

http//secondhanddaylight.heavenforum.com/

Posted: 15 April 2007 02:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  153
Joined  2006-04-10

[quote author=“Snowy”]There have been some questions regarding the missing three pages of this thread!  So let’s clarify some things.

**Within that 3 page tangent, there was a post re: the project called “Second Hand Daylight Records” / “Kinetix” claiming that there was a partnership between them and Minimal Wave. For anyone wondering about this, the answer is no there is absolutely no connection between SDR (Kinetix) and Minimal Wave. Therefore, that was a completely false statement and if Kinetix would like to continue to post here, he should probably apologize for making these false claims.

you are close-minded and fake. you are not ashamed to quote “obscure synth wave” when at the same time you add all kitschy-chitty synth poppy bands/djs/posers of the world…  raspberry

Posted: 15 April 2007 02:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  840
Joined  2006-03-03

[quote author=“KINETIX”]

I’ll bet it isn’t!  :D You love us too much to stay away…

Posted: 15 April 2007 05:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-11-12

Thank you for clarifying things Kinetix. Very much appreciated.

Now we can sleep at night, and all day too.  smile

Posted: 15 April 2007 09:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  501
Joined  2007-02-21

[quote author=“Snowy”]Thank you for clarifying things Kinetix. Very much appreciated.

Now we can sleep at night, and all day too.  smile

Not before you have cast your vote, I’m afraid: :D

1 of 2

for the c-64 fans      |     Boss DR-55 manual? ››