1 of 3
vinyl
Posted: 05 March 2007 11:08 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2007-01-29

how come many of those great re-releases only come in vinyl? this has probably been issued before. i hate vinyl. i hate it when i can´t get it on cd, when i can´t listen on my stereo. vinyl? - who the fack (except dj:s) uses vinyl these days.. this label, what´s it called, releases everything on vinyl making it impossible to get it if you don´t have that big schallplatteplayer. imagine a new b&o system with a recordplayer!
and this limited shit. what´s that - soviet? give the people what they want. you know the feeling, you´ve got the money but you cant buy what you want

yours sincerarly
jp

anyway, thanks for a great site

Posted: 05 March 2007 11:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Joined  2007-01-29

ps/ when obscure music finally is avilable after 25 years they release it in vinyl! aah

Posted: 05 March 2007 03:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  644
Joined  2005-12-04

You’re in the wrong forum!

Signature 

It’s all about the aboveground!

Posted: 05 March 2007 04:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  319
Joined  2005-11-12

JP

hahaha!

We are vinyl lovers that is essentially it.

There are tentative plans for CD issues of some stuff but it won’t be this label but rather a sub-label, so yes as cr-78 put it so aptly : “You’re in the wrong forum!”

Posted: 05 March 2007 10:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  612
Joined  2005-12-02

Re: vinyl

[quote author=“jeanprouve”]how come many of those great re-releases only come in vinyl? this has probably been issued before. i hate vinyl. i hate it when i can´t get it on cd, when i can´t listen on my stereo. vinyl? - who the fack (except dj:s) uses vinyl these days.. this label, what´s it called, releases everything on vinyl making it impossible to get it if you don´t have that big schallplatteplayer. imagine a new b&o system with a recordplayer!
and this limited shit. what´s that - soviet? give the people what they want. you know the feeling, you´ve got the money but you cant buy what you want

yours sincerarly
jp

anyway, thanks for a great site

I hate people who hate vinyl :D

Posted: 06 March 2007 12:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Joined  2007-01-29

i hate people who hate people

wiseguys, aren´t “Re-issues, New Old Stock, and New Releases”, what we´re talking about

Posted: 06 March 2007 12:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  501
Joined  2007-02-21

Now what I hate most about vinyl is that it doesn’t delete itself after about 20 or 30 years like any decent CD does :D

That Visage CD I got for instance, bloody hell, does that one sound thin.

But heck, nothing lasts forever, so why not support the music industry and buy the same stuff again and again and again…. 8)

falck
—————————
veni, vedi, vinilo

Posted: 06 March 2007 02:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-04

[quote author=“falck”]Now what I hate most about vinyl is that it doesn’t delete itself after about 20 or 30 years like any decent CD does :D

That Visage CD I got for instance, bloody hell, does that one sound thin.

But heck, nothing lasts forever, so why not support the music industry and buy the same stuff again and again and again…. 8)

falck
—————————
veni, vedi, vinilo

That was great!
Just what I needed this morning. :D
So true.

JP:

Stop hating and start accepting.

Signature 

Posted: 06 March 2007 02:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  349
Joined  2005-12-04

True, there’s too much hate in the world :oops:

Signature 

D’un sillon l’autre…

Posted: 06 March 2007 07:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  214
Joined  2005-12-17

CDs are cheap and disposable.  When every band with a hacked copy of Reason and ProTools can make their own record and put it out on CD for almost no money there is no inferred “collectible” value.

Vinyl, on the other hand, is made for people who want more than just a means to play music.  Vinyl is collectible, and at least in this market and a few others (punk, post-punk) a re-issue in a limited number of vinyl copies will sell better than the same amount pressed on cd.

Is it snobby?  Yes.  Is it shallow? Yes.  Is it for everyone? No.

Posted: 06 March 2007 08:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-04

I don’t think it’s snobby or shallow.
It’s made for the audience who appreciates it. The collectors and enthusiasts. There is a sentimental side to it as well if you are inclined to that sort of thing. It also sounds a lot better than cd’s (not all pressings, especialy bootlegs!)
Like you said…is not for everybody.
I really dont think it has to do with excluding anybody from the joy of listening to great music!

Signature 

Posted: 06 March 2007 08:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  319
Joined  2005-11-12

Yes indeed.

And the bottom line is that vinyl is analog and CD is digital. Analog is closer to true sound as it is the way we hear things naturally. Vinyl uses a wide range of frequencies while CD’s are limited to 16bit / 44khz. Due to that limitation, there is some information being lost that wouldn’t be lost in a vinyl recording.
Then of course there is the format, which in time doesn’t disintegrate, oxidize, prove to be unreadable, etc. Not to mention the artwork factor, and the fetish factor as well wink
Not to say vinyl is more accurate, as there are distortions that occur with vinyl that give it that lifelike, resonant sound we all love. In the end, it just comes down to a matter of personal taste and whether one is a sucker for the convenience factor of the CD format.

Posted: 06 March 2007 08:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-04

Yes, yes….can’t forget the fetish!

82_bg.jpg

Signature 

Posted: 06 March 2007 09:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-04

This will give you a pretty good idea:

This will be a long post..

And it’s not about vinyl fetischism. Errm, I think.

I invited some of my favorite blogging friends to this smörgåsbord of vinyl album aromas.
Not all responded. I can understand that. Weird and hard assignment, eh?...

I wanted to know what their favorite vinyl record smells like (and I’m talking about the actual vinyl smell). I asked them to take out their favorite album - to kick back in a favorite place - to relax. And then, smoothly, pull out the record and inhale the fragrance. What did come to their minds? Was it a good aroma? Was it bad? Where did all this take them?
So many question… So little time….

Read the rest here:

http://easydreamer.blogspot.com/2006/03/vinyl-sniffers.html

Signature 

Posted: 06 March 2007 10:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Joined  2007-01-29

[quote author=“cr-78”]You’re in the wrong forum!

yes indeed

Posted: 06 March 2007 10:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  840
Joined  2006-03-03

And apart from what 2V says about the analog/digital difference, the modern CD is even made to sound shitty:

http://www.side-line.com/side-line_blog_comments.php?id=20274_0_45_0_C

http://brianstagg.co.uk/p_t_a_clipressed/

In short: The average CD is compressed to death, while the vinyl will still sound quiet in the quiet parts and loud in the loud parts.

PS: Another issue about vinyls instead of CDs is, we have our own “time island” where the songs are not “soundfiles” to be ripped to mp3, disposed of on an iPod and played in shuffle mode… but that’s another story!

1 of 3