1 of 2
Refurbishing Covers & Vinyl
Posted: 22 February 2007 06:34 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  501
Joined  2007-02-21

Hi,

I think we all have come across many a record in not completely mint condition in our lives.

Before I post my question, first two hints (most of you will know, I guess):

1. Spirits can help you remove marker, but this only works perfectly if it is a glossy cover, otherwise many wanted parts will leave with the marker as well grin

2. Stickers are more open to leaving the cover they are trespassing upon if you submit them to hair-dryer treatment (at least for a minute or so)

Now my question is about vinyl: I have an LP (Zu spät, ihr Scheisser by Tommi Stumpff, to be precise) which suffered far too much heat. Any chance of getting it in decent shape (=playable) again?

I read about people building interesting gadgets in their garages for this but is there an easy cure for people who happen to not to be DIY-god of the year?

Cheers,
falck

Posted: 22 February 2007 08:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  644
Joined  2005-12-04

Some people put about 100 records on top of it and it works.
Some even go a step further and use their ovens!

I have not done any of these so go with caution wink
specially the latter.

Signature 

It’s all about the aboveground!

Posted: 22 February 2007 02:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  214
Joined  2005-12-17

I have never tried it, but a “friend of a friend” swears by getting 2 pieces of plate glass, putting the vinyl between the glass and setting it out in the bright sunshine for a few hours.

I myself am a little wary of this idea.

Posted: 22 February 2007 09:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-21

Cheers guys,

I guess I have nothing to lose, really, the bugger is dead as a dodo at present.

Now all I have to do is sit and wait for summer to arrive. We had about 2 hours of sunshine so far shared between January and February up here in Northern Germany, you know grin

Will let you know the outcome of Dr. Frankenstein’s latest experiment.

Greetz,
falck
————————————
A roarer boar real is

Posted: 22 February 2007 11:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  840
Joined  2006-03-03

If the record is not so warped it actually skips, then for gods sake leave it!

I have a lot of warped records, as long as they’re playable I play them, but I would never dare leaving them out in the sun - wait two minutes too long and the record comes running out between the glass? EEk!

-But I seem to remember reading in Record Collector that someone has made some sort of apparel that heats the vinyl _just_enough_ to bend it back - a system which might work.

Carlo, you’re the gadget master on this forum, can’t you go find the thingummy, and give us the link? wink

Ø

Posted: 23 February 2007 03:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-04

Looking into it as we speak wink

Signature 

Posted: 23 February 2007 04:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-21

Well, the bugger is really dead, guys, I can’t possibly make it worse.

If you put the record on the player (any spot), the needle is performing a super wild dance like in those Lucky Luke comics when the bad guys are aiming for somebody’s feet with their bullets. Horinzotally, it looks more or less plain, but on the surface it’s all mountains and vallies…

Open to any kind of suggestion, of course…

Cheers,
falck
———————-
A roarer boar real is

Posted: 23 February 2007 05:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-04

I will try the bulk of records on top method while you find a good solution maybe by then it will be nice and flat.
Right now it’s your safest bet.

Signature 

Posted: 24 February 2007 04:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-03

Maybe a combination and precautions? Stick the LP in a tub of luke warm water, then a glass plate, then 100 of your flattest LPs on top?

Posted: 24 February 2007 07:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  727
Joined  2005-12-05

Yeah first put it in warm water, then under a heavy pile while it’s still on temperature.

Signature 

Delicious toes are swimming in my soup

Posted: 28 February 2007 11:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  117
Joined  2005-12-07

all of you could not be more wrong..  from my experience it is imposssible to fix this. heating makes it worse!!!  vinyl shrinks with heat. some portions may heat up more than others causing more of a warp. so forget it.
BUT heres an interesting experience I had.

I once received a warped ass vinyl.. so pissed. I put it away and a few months later it was fine.. I can tell you it is very cold where I keep my records.. can the cold temperature maybe have something to do with it?

so if you have nothing else to loose. try putting it in your refrigerator and see if it decides to go back to its original form… maybe even freeze it who knows??? I cannot guarantee this will work but my mysterious experience would probably give some hope.

BY ALL MEANS DONOT STACK RECORDS ON TOP OF EACH OTHER!!
there may be small particles that one cannot see or simply miss after cleaning. any little particle with all that weight on top WILL make an indentation on a groove.. Im sure you have all experienced the sudden skip on a record. you back cue it once and the particle is gone.sometimes a little weight on the needle will knock it off. there are times where simple cleaning will not remove it. the needle itself will do it.. BUT it you were to put this much weight on that particle you will get an indentation on the groove, AND WILL END UP WITH A NICE LITTLE POP FOREVER! and Im not reffering to a rotted pressing.. like bern balders on the left over there…

DONT DO IT.

forgot to mention. best way to remove a sticker. use a hair dryer to heat the sticker so it peels off easily. I use WD40 followed by a swipe with a wet paper towel and that shit comes right off.. WD40 may contain spirits.. but not as concentrated.

Signature 

NO USER SERVICABLE PARTS INSIDE

Posted: 01 March 2007 12:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-21

Cheers, alright, so it’s icy death instead of cremation then. Hope nobody will mistake it for a pizza and put cheese on it.

This is a rather fun thread, you know. Still waiting for reactorlgtn to suggest to hypnotise it to make it believe it’s a wart, and then I could try to talk to it :D

Will update you on the outcome.

Gee, does that mean there will be no space for ice cream in my freezer for a couple of months now?

falck
————————————————-
if force doesn’t work, use more force

Posted: 01 March 2007 03:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-03

[quote author=“falck”]Still waiting for reactorlgtn to suggest to hypnotise it to make it believe it’s a wart, and then I could try to talk to it :D

sheesh man, you are SUCH a spoil sport!  :cry:

-Actually, I was rather thinking along the lines of an exorsism, since your LP is obviously posessed by some evil power.
-But a good exorsist is hard to come by these days…

@Machinenmusik: “indentation” is an excellent word, which I hope to use more often in the future. Thx!  :wink:

Posted: 01 March 2007 05:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-21

Reactorlgtn:

Of course the record is possessed, it goes “ich will böse sein” (I want to be evil) in the song “Ich will gewinnen”.

Actually, we had the chief exorcist of the Vatican on in a German talk show a couple of days ago. Forgot to put down his number, though.

Busy man, that one, with all those possessed records around. LOL

Posted: 05 March 2007 05:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  105
Joined  2005-12-08

[quote author=“maschinenmusik”]all of you could no be more wrong..  from my experience it is imposssible to fix this. heating makes it worse!!!  vinyl shrinks with heat. some portions may heat up more than others causing more of a warp. so forget it.
BUT heres an interesting experience I had.

I once received a warped ass vinyl.. so pissed. I put it away and a few months later it was fine.. I can tell you it is very cold where I keep my records.. can the cold temperature maybe have something to do with it?

so if you have nothing else to loose. try putting it in your refrigerator and see if it decides to go back to its original form… maybe even freeze it who knows??? I cannot guarantee this will work but my mysterious experience would probably give some hope.

BY ALL MEANS DONOT STACK RECORDS ON TOP OF EACH OTHER!!
there may be small particles that one cannot see or simply miss after cleaning. any little particle with all that weight on top WILL make an indentation on a groove.. Im sure you have all experienced the sudden skip on a record. you back cue it once and the particle is gone.sometimes a little weight on the needle will knock it off. there are times where simple cleaning will not remove it. the needle itself will do it.. BUT it you were to put this much weight on that particle you will get an indentation on the groove, AND WILL END UP WITH A NICE LITTLE POP FOREVER! and Im not reffering to a rotted pressing.. like bern balders on the left over there…

DONT DO IT.

forgot to mention. best way to remove a sticker. use a hair dryer to heat the sticker so it peels off easily. I use WD40 followed by a swipe with a wet paer towel and that shit comes right off.. WD40 may contain spirits.. but not as concentrated.

I swear I have heard this in person before… more than once…

Posted: 07 March 2007 08:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-21

Hello,

although looking at a record in my fridge came as a funny surprise again and again (my memory really has gone downhill of late), but no the bugger didn’t get any flatter.

Still thinking about that glass plates scenrio, but it will still be months until I can try :(

1 of 2

Plus Deck Cassette Converter      |     for the c-64 fans ››