Obscure Identities label
Posted: 07 December 2010 10:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 211 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  170
Joined  2005-12-10

SOLVENT DON’T READ THIS!!!!

every one else read this wink

Sorry I’m late solvent.  I haven’t checked the forum the last few days. 

mr.obscure… i’m not sure why it is you feel the need to keep justifying the All the Madmen material… i have not read the whole thread, but i’ve read enough of it, and i don’t recall anyone criticizing the musical content of the ATMM lp.

I don’t feel I have to justify the All the Madmen music to anyone.  It is great to me, and that is why I released it.

personally i like what i’ve heard, and if it had been released on Genetic, AnnaLogue, Dark Entries, Minimal Wave, or probably any other label really, i’d likely have bought the LP already.

That’s great that you like my release.  So now prove it to yourself, everyone else, and me by buying it for $50 or whatever it sells for this week, and quit talking about how you spent $75.00 on a Sleep Chamber box set that you don’t even like. 

it seems that most people on here feel the same way.

Most people on here have been buying the record and enjoying it. The people that like the record and will not buy it because it is being sold the way it is are being self righteous, self centered, masochistic, and cheap.  All obscure identities releases are made specifically for collectors that spend money on records, and buy collectable records that they want to the point of need. If any minimal synth collector thinks that the All the Madmen LP isn’t worth whatever it has been selling for then they simply don’t need it enough to own it. 

you keep talking about how the minimal synth fans approve of your release, as though the people on this forum aren’t a large portion of the most involved, fanatical and informed minimal synth fans…  some minimal synth fans will accept your practices, but here on this forum we have a large population of minimal synth fans who would probably like to own an ATMM lp, but who won’t own it on account of their unwillingness to support your label practices or play your Ebay game.

I think every minimal synth fan on this forum and off approves of the release of the All the Madmen LP.  The minimal synth fans that want it will buy it no matter what the price.  The people that are unwilling to buy it because how it is being sold will simply lose out because of themselves.  It is not an ebay game.  It is a legitimate selling strategy aimed specifically at collectors which allows each collector an opportunity to get any copy or every copy they want with a more than adequate amount of time to do so.

so if your LP continues to sell for $50+ on Ebay, perhaps the ATMM guys will have a lot more $ in their pockets than they would’ve if AnnaLogue released 300 copies for $20/ea… but is it worth it for them, knowing that a large portion of their fans / potential fans will now never own the release?

Yes, because there is no doubt that every serious All the Madmen fan will get the All the Madmen LP.  They know where to get it, what it sounds like, and they have plenty of time to come up with the means to purchase it if they want it.  Another option would have been for me to keep this All the Madmen tape forever just for myself.

i am planning to start a minimal synth night, and i will be DJing exclusively with vinyl, so i guess there will be no ATMM playing here - a missed opportunity for exposure

Well that is your own choice.  You could play All the Madmen if you wanted to just like you could play CDs if you wanted to.
What is stopping you from doing both.  Yourself.  My label has nothing to do with that supposed missed opportunity. 
Also, when it comes to exposure it looks like obscure identities is doing just fine.

another point—since you are always using the Ebay sales of ATMM as an indicator of this record’s artistic worth, is it fair to say then that your Aspect Ratio tape is a failure, since it is now regularly ending with 0 bids? 10,000+ people viewing this thread and yet you only managed to sell, what, 5 copies of your tape?

The Aspect Ratio is a complete success.  To me success has nothing to do with the sales but has to do with the fact that I love it.
That is all that really matters.  And that goes for the all the releases on obscure identities.  I am putting out records/cassettes that I love and if others do as well then fine.  I listened to the Aspect Ratio cassette a ton after I finished recording it and I completely love it, and today I listened to it again when I was making a copy for someone and it really does it for me.  A few people have bought it, and there are almost as many people watching it on ebay every week as the All the Madmen LP, and the Different Dialect 7” and I know many more want it as well. There are many collectors and bands that I really respect that have said great things about it so I have nothing to complain about.  The lack of sales recently doesn’t discourage me a la Roy Young. In terms of sales time will tell.  No one bought the Still Human LP in 1981, and 25 years later it was selling for $1500.  Considering I made this release for a total cost of $100, and have more than made my money back with 3 of the purchases it looks to be breaking records.  How many artists can say that about their release.

so do you really think the # of views that this thread has received means a high interest and demand for your product, or do you think maybe it is more akin to the heavy traffic surrounding a car wreck, that people just can’t help but stop to gawk at?

Definitely high demand for my products.  Also the fact that obscure identities is not like any other label. I am only going to release really amazing stuff, and most of it will be completely unknown.

my questions, BTW, are hypothetical, ie i don’t actually care to read your inevitable know-it-all responses, especially after that absolutely mind-boggling psychobabble rant against Bjakk. that was unreal

Well its a good thing you are not reading this then because if you were I would tell you to go to google images and search Bjakk, and then your whole world would come undone.

Stephen
obscure identities

Posted: 08 December 2010 01:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 212 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  184
Joined  2007-02-03

“The Aspect Ratio is a complete success.”

amen bro

Posted: 08 December 2010 01:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 213 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  840
Joined  2006-03-03

“I would tell you to go to google images and search Bjakk, and then your whole world would come undone.”

ok now i’m scared…

Posted: 19 December 2010 06:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 214 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2005-12-07

This thread should get “The Golden Rose Of Montreaux” for entertainment, but take care ´cause there is a point of no return when the whole thing is changing into a humdrum affair…

Posted: 06 January 2011 11:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 215 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  55
Joined  2007-05-15

Interesting read: but then again, any thread featuring the infallible logic of the Obscure one is bound to amuse.

I have but question after this lengthy read, and it’s this:

Which is the rarer commodity - Obscure’s business acumen, or his ability to make friends?

**hint*** It’s a trick question.

Posted: 09 January 2011 06:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 216 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  727
Joined  2005-12-05
eight6 - 06 January 2011 11:36 AM

Interesting read: but then again, any thread featuring the infallible logic of the Obscure one is bound to amuse.

I have but question after this lengthy read, and it’s this:

Which is the rarer commodity - Obscure’s business acumen, or his ability to make friends?

**hint*** It’s a trick question.

There’s this funky new website - congrats Veronica, looks marvellous! - yet you decide to stir in the toilet again?

Please, focus your energy on something more constructive and let this thread Rest In Peace.

Signature 

Delicious toes are swimming in my soup

Posted: 10 January 2011 08:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 217 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  319
Joined  2005-11-12

Oh it wasn’t me, it was eight6 who decided to “stir in the toilet again”!

Glad you like the site so far.

Probably best to simply not post in this thread, then it’ll die a natural death… wink

Posted: 10 January 2011 09:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 218 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-15

Hey:

Fifteen pages of toilet stirrings posted here before I arrive, and I get blamed??? The toilet should have been flushed about 14 pages ago.

It’s no secret I don’t like obscure, his methods, or his air of self import…but based on this thread I can see that I’m not alone in my assessment of him.

I’ll go back to being a somewhat interested (and silent) reader of this thread, unless of course…

Posted: 10 January 2011 09:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 219 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-11-12

I was just clarifying to Spartak that I hadn’t reignited the thread, that’s all.

Posted: 10 January 2011 09:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 220 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-05-15
Snowy - 10 January 2011 09:06 AM

I was just clarifying to Spartak that I hadn’t reignited the thread, that’s all.

No problem:

I was joking…except for the part about obscure, of course.

Posted: 10 January 2011 09:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 221 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-11-12

Ok, good.

I’m thinking to lock this thread now.

15 of 15