1 of 1
International Business Machines Music is not dead
Posted: 14 August 2010 02:38 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  501
Joined  2007-02-21

Hi people,

I was just browsing the net about the history of Berlin’s Linientreu when I stumbled across an online article in the Berliner Zeitung called “Genieß die Stille” (Enjoy the Silence).

Thought I’d share this paradigm of background-free journalism with you & don’t think I need to translate it for you to spot it 8)

IBM.jpg

Ah, least I forget, in there there’s also talk of some DJ’s brother drinking beer with Depeche Mode’s guitarist in the 80s.

Anna, my lass, I’m begging you, please continue with your Search & Release missions and track that mysterious guy down for us!  :wink:

For Germanophones who want the full monty here you go:

Posted: 28 August 2010 12:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRank
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2010-08-27

Ah, I know that one! Depeche Mode’s guitarist is called Andy Fletcher. That’s why he’s been standing on stage, looking confused, for more than 25 years; where is my guitar and what is that huge thing with black and white teeth they keep putting in front of me??!!

“IBM and Rockabilly” on the other hand ... Throbbing Gristle’s “IBM” was released before rockabilly was big, and it was never a huge hit. He probably grin means EBM, but the chronology is still wrong. This journalist probably doesn’t know a lot about music!

Posted: 23 September 2010 10:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  560
Joined  2006-03-18

“Ah, least I forget, in there there’s also talk of some DJ’s brother drinking beer with Depeche Mode’s guitarist in the 80s.”

Wouldn’t that be Martin? He did stay in Berlin for a while in the early 80’s to do some research on local metal percussion bands if my memory serves me right and there is this certain massive DM hit single, a song about phoning Jesus so he can hear you. In the video to this song Martin is trying to cross a desert strumming on a steel guitar, striding to the rythm of a schaffelbeat.  LOL

Signature 

Brian Eno sank my battleship

1 of 1