1 of 1
Spotify?
Posted: 26 July 2010 01:18 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  840
Joined  2006-03-03

To some, Spotify might seem to go against everything the “minimal” tag is used to convey; free mp3s as opposed to each having our own collections of privately pressed obscure 7” singles from the early eighties that we don’t tell others about…

...still, I’d like to know what there is available on Spotify to the “minimal/ synth” fan… I find a lot of not-so minimal artists that have been overlooked and buried in the shadows of the super-collectable genre classics, but which are interesting to listen to none the less…

Here’s some stuff I’ve found so far, some stuff to listen to if you’re at work while everyone is off on holidays:

*Holy Toy’s first album is there, not so synthetic but great
*Der Plan - not everyone’s money I’m sure but Geri Reig is great at its best and always “interesting”... grin give Commerce Exterieur Mondial Sentimental” or “Adrenalin Lässt das Blut Kochen” a try if you didn’t know it
*Wire offshoots on Mute or Grey Area - including Dome, Duet Emmo and Bruce Gilbert’s “Epitaph for Henran Brennar” which is a Tribute to Flexipop hit
*Mute releases like Fad Gadget, Liaisons Dangereuses, Robert Görl - even Depeche Mode were rather left field for a while in the early eighties…
*The actual “minimal wave” stuff like “Bippp”, Minimal Wave Tapes vol1, Moderne, Martin Dupont and Linear Movement’s LP
*Bal Paré‘s best of CD from Tatra
*Bonus tracks or rarities comps by major synth pop artists can be interesting: Golden hour of The Future/ The Human League, B.E.F tracks on Heaven 17 “Penthouse and Pavement”, early New Order, OMD peel sessions, Tom Dolby, Polyphonic Size, John Foxx, Yello, Alphaville demos, Cabaret Voltaire, Associates, even some Eurythmics b-sides
*Psychobud grin
*Kitchen and the Plastic Spoons :-D
*Rational Youth
*Solvent

Related product: Tuxedomoon, Blaine Reininger “Broken Fingers”, Bill Nelson “love that whirls”, Steve Hillage “anthems for the blind”, Simple Minds’ “empires and dance”... Ultravox both with and without Foxx grin

Anyone else here use Spotify? Find anything interesting?

1 of 1