RankRankRank
Total Posts:  77
Joined  2006-06-07

This Sunday July 11 witness the LIVE DEBUT of Robot Hustle at Honey Sundays

Sunday also marks the one year birthday party for Dark Entries Records

34768_409036659662_561539662_4153512_3087849_n.jpg

$3 Cover
Cheap Drinks

Join us this Sunday (at our regular 10pm start time) for the universal debut of Robot Hustle Live. We are also celebrating the 1st Anniversary of our own Josh Cheon’s all vinyl label Dark Entries.

*ROBOT HUSTLE*

“A live solo act incorporating early 80s synthesizers and drum machines executed through fast melodic sequencing, live keyboard work and above all—the grace of providence. It’s music that is primordial yet futuristic this set showcases a live version of ‘Serengeti Drive’ as featured on Honey Soundsystem’s Brotherhood Compilation.”

*DARK ENTRIES*

“In 2009, Cheon started Dark Entries Records to release some of his finds, including Second Decay, Zwischenfall, Those Attractive Magnets, and upstate New York’s Eleven Pond, whose “Watching Trees” has become a wave anthem of sorts. (He found Eleven Pond through a comment one of the members posted on SF synth collector Goutroy’s A Viable Commercial blog, goutroy.blogspot.com.)

Staying true to the “DIY vinyl retrograde” spirit, Dark Entries releases come in hand-numbered batches of 500, and for the most part the digital rights are kept by the artists themselves. There are no CDs.

He shrugs off the possibility that there’s little left to discover. “It’s like gold mine after gold mine,” Cheon told me. “There’s just so much out there — even the artists themselves are surprised to be reminded of this time in their lives that they’d mostly forgotten. It’s actually really touching when they find out there’s an intense interest in what they did in their youth. They’re just amazed.”

Later this year he’ll be releasing a Bay Area Retrograde (BART) compilation, highlighting our own historical wave purveyors. “What many people forget is San Francisco’s rich synthpop and new wave history, with bands like Voice Farm, Tuxedomoon, the Units, and the Club Foot scene for starters. [Factrix, Minimal Man, and Los Microwaves are some others.] But that’s just scratching the surface. I mean, who knows what great tracks are waiting to be heard? And what amazing stories behind them.” -MARKE B SFBG

1501 Folsom & 11th Street
San Francisco, CA

1 of 1