1 of 2
Need hardware sequencer recommendation
Posted: 01 February 2010 07:57 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Administrator
RankRank
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2010-02-01

Hello,

I’m trying to figure out a minimal gear setup (no pun intended) that takes advantages of modern features and conveniences and keeps gear to an *absolute minimum* and I need a good hardware sequencer recommendation to accompany one synth.

Right now, I’m trying to figure out how important an analog-style interface is such as on the Korg SQ-10 and the Doepfer MAQ16/3. I haven’t tried either of those, but I’m curious if it makes any difference in the creative process, for all the obvious reasons.

I just recently discovered the Zeit by Infection Music, which seems like a possibly good option, but it’s discontinued. And so is the Sequentix P3.

Does anyone have any reviews? Old or new, good or bad. Or even feel free to convince me that a dedicated sequencer may not even “necessary”. In the true spirit of minimalism, I’m also considering a music-writing process that embraces limitations, if I can’t get the gear that I think I need.

Thanks in advance.

Posted: 02 February 2010 06:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  122
Joined  2005-12-27

is this also intended for live use, or just for studio use? is price at all an issue? you intend to work with MIDI, correct? what other gear are you using?
i’d wager the zeit is probably more sequencer than you need, and if i recall, it packs a fairly heavy price tag.
i wouldn’t consider the SQ-10 unless you are planning on using an MS series synth, and a similarly modeled interface would not likely be too desirable in a MIDI-oriented environment. you might want to investigate the future retro mobius or future retro orb, which, from what i gather, are quite versatile and have a number of interesting features. but if you’re working with MIDI, really any cheap sequencer could conceivably do the trick, like the alesis MMT-8, or roland mc-500. also, depending on what the rest of your setup is and what your musical vision is, so to speak, you might even be best off with something like an MPC, which could certainly contribute towards keeping the equipment list to a minimum.
and sure, depending on what you’re planning on doing, you might not need or even want a sequencer.

Posted: 02 February 2010 06:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2009-10-12

also, if you want the analogue style sequencing with the knob turning and such (like the sq10) you could try Analogue Solution’s Oberkorn. I’m pretty sure it has cv/gate and midi as well.

Signature 

Posted: 02 February 2010 07:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRank
Joined  2010-02-01

Thanks for the feedback.

This is mainly for just composing at home, but it would be nice if it were somewhat portable in case I need to jam at a sweet sixteen or bar mitzvah. Yeah, I think the Zeit will probably be way too expensive.

I’m almost 100% sure I will be working with MIDI, but I wouldn’t necessarily rule out getting a sequencer that can handle CV/G as well, if I get a Dark Energy or something (or two, or three) instead of what I’m using now. I’m currently spending all my time trying to see if my Radias is enough to make all the sounds I need. It’s almost perfect since it’s multi-timbral and can handle 4 separate sounds at a time, with 2 oscillators each, 2 filters, 1 arpeggio, patches, I can split the keyboard into zones, etc.

Anyway, I’m thinking I want to try something different from the standard button type sequencers because note programming is a real drag with those. I’ve tried using a Korg EMX and it’s not a very friendly tool for creating stuff intuitively (at least not the sequencing part), hence my curiosity with knob sequencers. If you want to alternate melodic sequences in a song every 4 bars and have to go back and forth trying different combinations, you kind of lose your train of thought by the time you punch all the notes in. The EMX works fine when you know exactly what you want ahead of time, but I think I’m missing out on a lot of pretty accidents, if you know what I mean…

Posted: 02 February 2010 09:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  122
Joined  2005-12-27

the radias does sound pretty powerful. i’ve never played with one, but i bet that alone could handle percussion, bass, and a lead or arpeggio pretty sufficiently. were you planning on using a drum machine or something separate for percussion?
check out some videos of the future retro sequencers, they look pretty fun, interactive, and intuitive. lots of silly but possibly cool features - the orb can do things like make random sequences based on the notes you’ve entered, or play sequences backwards.
greydominion’s oberkorn suggestion could be good, too, if you really are craving knob-tuned step sequencing. but tuning each step can be such a hassle, they wind up being some of the most tedious types of sequencers, not necessarily any more hands-on or immediate. health club offers a very nice dual-cv sequencer that has knobs that snap to notes (can’t actually find it on their site now, so maybe it was discontinued). but even still, sequencing pitch that way is pretty impractical in a live setting (thus my initial query). sequencers of that variety are best used to modulate other parameters, like filter cutoff or PWM, or for making pecussive sounds where obtaining a specific pitch isn’t as critical.

Posted: 03 February 2010 05:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRank
Joined  2010-02-01

Yeah, the Radias can do a lot, if you can just ignore all the silly effects and knob lights.

The drum sounds I need will be pretty minimal to non-existent. I would just need a little bit for accent so I think I could probably just use a drum kit on the Radias as one of the 4 sounds. It can run on a separate channel no problem.

The Future Retro ones are all button-based I think so that’s no good. Also, the circular ones don’t look so hot. Maybe even confusing. I think I prefer a linear interface.

The Oberkorn looks good, although maybe has less features and even simpler than the Doepfer. I think I see your tuning point, but it’s actually the opposite that I meant. The accuracy issue is what would make it harder to use, but accuracy isn’t my main goal. A normal sequencer is far more accurate, but it requires two steps to program the notes: one press to select the step, and another to dial in the note. On a knob-based interface, you just turn the knob and you’re already dialing the note. Much more immediate. I think I’m willing to sacrifice the accuracy if it will let me explore melodies more easily.

The health club one looks huuuge. Looks good in terms of the interface, but might be limited in features. I like that it has 32 steps right upfront, but I wonder if you can chain multiple patterns enough to form a song. I know the Doepfer is already very limited in this regard and I think it can only chain up to three 16-step patterns and that’s it. Hardly enough for a typical pop song pattern. The P3 can chain different patterns, can repeat patterns, and can chain up to 8 “stages” of patterns. It sounds like the most powerful of all the knob-based portable sequencers and almost enough for a test that I did which was ABABCABCA.

Thanks for the feedback so far. It looks like the options out there are slim. Probably because there aren’t enough people developing the technology. :(

Posted: 03 February 2010 05:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
RankRank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2009-10-12

What about this? http://www.mfberlin.de/Produkte/Musikelektronik/MFB-STEP64/MFB-STEP64_e/mfb-step64_e.html

Signature 

Posted: 03 February 2010 06:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
RankRank
Joined  2010-02-01

Oooh. I like the portable size and 64-step pattern length. I only see buttons for each step though, but it might still be a contender.

Posted: 03 February 2010 10:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Administrator
RankRank
Joined  2010-02-01

Now I’m wondering, if I can’t find one box that has knobs to do all the sequencing, it might be easier to split the sequencing task between two boxes. One master sequencer to handle the main song pattern sequencing and a slave sequencer for sequencing the bar patterns. Hm… I wonder if that’s possible.

Posted: 03 February 2010 12:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Administrator
RankRank
Joined  2010-02-01

For anyone curious:
Sequentix just responded and gave me an update on the new version of the P3 called Cirklon. It’s still under prototype development unfortunately, but I’m glad the knobs are still there. smile They’re saying the electronic design is finished. Enclosure design goes next. I hope it goes for less than $1000 USD when it comes out.

Video here: (the black one is the pre-production version)

It’s kind of hard to see the knobs when it’s all black. Hopefully they’ll make them a little easier to see. I do like it in black though. As well as the old-style buttons.

Posted: 04 February 2010 10:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Administrator
RankRank
Joined  2010-02-01

Oh man. Doepfer is coming out with a new sequencer called Dark Time.

doepfer-dark-time-sequencer.jpg

Posted: 17 February 2010 07:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  214
Joined  2005-12-17

Back in the day I beat the hell out of several Alesis MMT-8 sequencers.  Aside from the rubber contact switches needing to be cleaned on a regular basis these things are really easy to use and are reliable.  I know Front 242 used to use an army of them on tour.

Posted: 17 February 2010 09:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Administrator
RankRank
Joined  2010-02-01

That MMT-8 is pretty cool. Plus it looks like something my accountant would use. wink

I think I’m just going to bite the bullet and got a Doepfer MAQ16/3 even if it can’t chain multiple patterns. It’s probably going to be a while before the new Sequentix comes out anyway. 

Too bad there aren’t any SQ-10s around.
Check out this clip of an SQ-10 and an RSF Kobol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlT3iNOMH58

Posted: 19 February 2010 09:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Administrator
RankRank
Joined  2010-02-01

Update on the Cirklon: wow

http://www.sequentix.com/cirklon.htm

cirklon-ui-sml.jpg

ck-nagle-01-thm.jpg

ck-nagle-02-thm.jpg

Posted: 23 February 2010 12:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2010-02-18

I’m having the same dilemma.

I recently purchased a Mac for recording and a DSI Mopho as my first proper synth (I previously owned a couple of vintage Roland polys for messing around with but their upkeep was hard on my younger brain/pocket).

I’d love a physical sequencer with tight timing, MIDI and CV when I add a keyboard or two later. Interacting with hardware sequencers (or even software emulations) seems to inspire unusual ideas.

I spoke today with a friend who suggested the MAQ was great on its own but tended to fall out of time with the MIDI clock in his recording setup. The Cirklon looks beautiful, as does the Oberkorn.

Posted: 23 February 2010 01:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
Administrator
RankRank
Joined  2010-02-01

Funny, the Mopho was one of the first recommendations someone gave me when I was first thinking of getting a synth, but the interface and enclosure design really turned me off. Too bad though, since it’s analog, which is awesome and it comes in a nice compact size. I wish it looked more like Doepfer’s Dark Energy.

Anyway, I ended up getting the MAQ and now learning how to use it. The limitations are in fact pretty severe compared to other newer sequencers, but it definitely makes you think from a totally different perspective.

By the way, if your friend is talking about the purported ProTools MIDI sync issue, I’ve heard that the problem may lie in ProTools. But who knows, maybe there is no problem anywhere at all and it’s just human error. I would be cautious in making any assumptions without any details simply because of how the MAQ works… There’s lots of room for error when you start fiddling with the main knob and options in real-time which could lead one to believe that there is a clock sync problem. Since the options take effect immediately as you cycle through them, it’s very easy to throw it off sync. It’s like a primitive software program that doesn’t have any confirmation buttons. Stuff just happens immediately. Very powerful, but also very delicate.

1 of 2