2 of 3
Cheap minimal items?
Posted: 03 July 2006 04:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  214
Joined  2005-12-17
[quote author=“minicold”]Simply : John Foxx : Metamatic : a record you can find easily for a few euro’s/dollars and one of my all time favourites.  Okay, everybody has quite enough of the “Underpass” smasher but, this records is far more than this killer.

Agreed.  I know this album dosen’t win the “obscurity trophy” but it’s still one of my favorite albums ever.

I bought a copy of Crash, the album Foxx did with Louis Gordon a few years back and I really like that as well.  It’s not quite as stripped down as Metamatic but it’s no “Golden Section” either.

Posted: 04 July 2006 02:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  840
Joined  2006-03-03

John Foxx and Louis Gordon have three albums and a “live-in-studio” recording under the belt, and ALL are warmly recommended. Really, really good!

Posted: 04 July 2006 10:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  330
Joined  2005-12-14

Front 242 : Geography (double dvd-format; came out some 2 years ago) : apart from the fact that the first lp of them is a real beauty (minimal ebm), it is the 2nd disc that is really interesting with old material of Prothese and Underviewer : there are real minimal smashers on this disc.  My favourite : “Trouble” of “Underviewer”.

Posted: 04 July 2006 10:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  560
Joined  2006-03-18

Yes, John Foxx! How could I forget.
His albums with Louis Gordon are all great. His latest is different though. Higly influenced by Neu!, Cluster, Kraftwerk, Harmonia, Klaus Schulze, the usual German suspects, it has resulted in a very pleasant record. (Going to his Amsterdam gig in two weeks time, I have got very high expectations as I have never seen him perform live before)

Rheingold—“Der Fan” has got some nice minimal tunes.

Vinyl On Demand just rereleased Ceramic Hello’s classic ” The Absence Of A Canary” on limited vinyl. Cheaper then the elusive original of course.

Signature 

Brian Eno sank my battleship

Posted: 04 July 2006 10:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-18

I really like how they remastered “Geography”. The 90’s remastered version pails in comparison.

But if we are talking reissues:

Kirlian Camera—“Dawn”

The Neon Judgement—“1981-1984” LP was not that difficult to find and now it has been reissued.

Back to discussing cheap Minimal originals.

Signature 

Posted: 04 July 2006 11:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  349
Joined  2005-12-04

Older things and cheap :

-The Cheese Product records
-Magic Dragon - Emotional Landscapes, there is a gretminimal track, always to find for 5 dollars or so…
-Many of french rock/coldwave stuff : Charles De Goal, End Of Data, RĂ©sistance…never more than 20 euros…
-The french Stereo 7’’ or maxi.

More to come…have no more ideas for now.

Signature 

D’un sillon l’autre…

Posted: 04 July 2006 12:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-17
[quote author=“AirCrashBureau”]His latest is different though. Higly influenced by Neu!, Cluster, Kraftwerk, Harmonia, Klaus Schulze, the usual German suspects…

Are you talking about Tiny Color Movies?

Posted: 05 July 2006 07:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-18

Yep. The usual German suspects and a good measure of Cathedral Oceans. “Looped Los Angeles” is a track in which you can hear a hommage to 70’s German electronics. Nice track.

Signature 

Posted: 05 July 2006 12:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-18

I mentioned the rerelease of Ceramic Hello’s elusive album earlier. I got it today and I am so pleased with it that I just wanted to share that with you. The first LP of this release contains the original album but it is the second LP of this release that offers us a real treat because it contains tracks that were supposed to be on the never released second album. Buy it or regret it.

Signature 

Posted: 05 July 2006 11:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-03

I saw some minimal items listed now which probably wont fetch large sums, although the music is good:

The Walk - Be Animal/I Didn’t Catch Your Name 7” - Be Animal is a good track with female vocs.

Red - Let Her Go 7. Uptempo, catchy electropop from 1984, I love this!

Posted: 09 July 2006 08:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-18

I was thinking of Richard Bone—The Joy Of radiation 12”, but then I checked Gemm and saw the prices that were asked for it today. Hmm. Buying it for one guilder fifteen years ago was definitly a good bargain.
Very nice 12” though. smile

Signature 

Posted: 09 July 2006 07:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-17

I’ve got a ripped copy of the Joy of Radiation 12” as well as the Brave Tales LP and a few odds and ends by Richard Bone.  A friend mailed me the vinyl, I cleaned them up the best I could and ripped them to CD for him.  HTey turned out OK, and saved me the $$$ that I would have had to spend on GEMM.  I’d still like the originals, but I need to find a job first.

I was able to get a copy of Bon’e latest album and was really caught unaware.  It’s total Kitaro/John Tesh/Yanni new age stuff.  Not really my style.

Posted: 10 July 2006 01:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  727
Joined  2005-12-05

Pauline Murray & the Invisible Girls - Searching for heaven 10” & 7” can be had for a very decent price.  It has a very nice new wave disco song on the b-side called Animal Crazy.

Signature 

Delicious toes are swimming in my soup

Posted: 10 July 2006 02:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  644
Joined  2005-12-04

Talking about Richard Bone….there was a cd released last year or the year before I don’t remember with unreleased tracks by Bone.
It’s really good! the liner notes of the CD are nice too.
If you contact orlandomaniac who’s a member here (i think I saw him here)
Maybe he still has copies of it. I highly recommended. It’s an official release too BTW.

Signature 

It’s all about the aboveground!

Posted: 15 July 2006 01:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-03

Eiskalte Engel - Serengeti 7”.

Got it on ebay recently for 4 euros or whatever and the B-side “Rom” is very good!

-r-

2 of 3