3 of 4
The great minimal synth mystery
Posted: 27 October 2009 06:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  501
Joined  2007-02-21

Well, well, the fact that somebody claims that there are some serious collectors in the UK and he knows them proves somebody else’s point that there aren’t any. Rightt….clever thinking :wink:

Just for the record: how exactly do you prove that something does NOT exist in the world at large?

And the idea that there really might be some collectors after all but that they might want nothing to do with someone like obscure….nah, now it’s getting completely absurd….. 8)

Posted: 27 October 2009 07:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  170
Joined  2005-12-10

“I don’t.

I mean, sometimes it’s something I like doing, but in general? “

Oystein,

What kind of statement is this.  It is not black and white that is for sure.

I can understand what you are saying in trading being a hassle, but record collecting in general is a hassle.  Don’t you think spending 5 or 6 days working for the Norwegian Government is a hassle just so you can pay for the Synthetic Romance comp. as opposed to finding an unknown rarity for $10 to trade for it.  That would have saved you six days of work, and given you a nice little vacation. 

Falck,

I found one of the best swedicsh minimal synth records the other day at Amoeba for $7.99, and I think the band name might be what your brain consists of.

Blago Bung

However, I don’t know swedish.  I am only guessing.

obscure

Posted: 27 October 2009 07:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-21

And by the biggest of coincidences I just discovered a still greater mystery:

How could it be that new forum members like e.g. Minty Nutshell might choose never to post here again?  8)

Posted: 27 October 2009 10:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  727
Joined  2005-12-05

I just got a magnificent idea :idea:

why not combine the two hottests threads of the moment into one megacontest?

here’s my suggestion (by origin not residence)

1. Germany
2. France
3. Norway
4. Sweden
5. USA
167 Netherlands
168 Botswana
169 UK

Signature 

Delicious toes are swimming in my soup

Posted: 27 October 2009 11:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  560
Joined  2006-03-18

Re: The great minimal synth mystery

[quote author=“obscure”]

(...) 

So why isn’t there a guru U.K. collector like that?

obscure

Being taught good old English manners, he prefers collecting records and expanding his musical knowledgge alone and in obscurity, rather than being a vulgar show off.  :wink:

Signature 

Brian Eno sank my battleship

Posted: 27 October 2009 11:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]  
Administrator
RankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2006-06-21

“How could it be that new forum members like e.g. Minty Nutshell might choose never to post here again?”

Hi Falck,

You ask a relevant question, and one that deserves an answer.

Having experienced the MW forum, it seems to me that there are a few contributors who are elitist and look down on other ‘mere mortals’ with an arrogant belief in their own righteousness. As if they are “the chosen ” Minimal Synth collector(s)

The over riding impression I have is that a few people spoil the forum for the majority and try to rule it as if it is their own personal club or kingdom. I feel that anyone who is outside of this club, like myself,  is not welcome, especially if you disagree with them. If, like me, you are not on the list of international collectors, then you are nobody to them and not worth getting to know. It also appears that some members would like to suggest that I am lying, although no one has written that, but it is the impression I am given.

To a small extent I feel sorry for the likes of “Obscure”.  They appear to be ‘Collectors’ in the very worst sense of the word. By that I mean that they “kill the thing that they love” by squeezing the joy from it. If anyone wants a better explanation of this then I recommend they read John Fowles – The Collector.

What they don’t seem to realize, is that they are the losers here. The knowledge and information that I have and that I have access to, is now lost to them. Why would I choose to share my experience, knowledge and tapes with people who tell me I “project hate” because I disagree with them? Frankly this is a BS attempt to appear to have a moral superiority.

That said, Obscure is right on one point. I do not know any collectors in the UK that are anything like Obscure, they are not bandstanding egotists.

MN

Posted: 27 October 2009 08:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-10

Mintynutshell,

Yes, I know I am right on all points, and is bandstanding egotist a compliment or a put down :wink: 

Either way, do you think me saying I know more about U.K. minimal synth records than you would make me a bandstanding egotist?

because guess what?

I do :!:

and so do all these people.

Joerg(Germany)
Nils(Germany)
Dimitri(Greece)
Alex(Greece)
Jens(Germany)
Jens(Sweden)
Ulf(Sweden)
Francesc(Spain)
Oystein(Norway)

Even Spartak does LOL 

In response to:

“What they don’t seem to realize, is that they are the losers here. The knowledge and information that I have and that I have access to, is now lost to them.”

Throughout this entire thread you postulate in broad generalizations about what the U.K. collectors are, and how they act, but will not answer a simple question, and name a single crazy u.k. collector.  Then why would I expect you to share any knowledge of bands you might have if you will not even name a single collector.  And I am like so intrigued by all that rare minimal synth that you have access to.  Does this mean you have the keys to a secret bunker with The Chagrin Receiver LP, and The Guilty Rich Man 7”!!!!  Oh, wow, you definitely are one to be reckoned with!!!!  Are you Roy Young?  Is that who you are?

Anyway,  I did like how you talk of obscure in plurals as if it is this armada of stormtroopers with minimal synth record player backpacks, and analogue keyboard guitars. 

That’s right, don’t mess with the obscures.

obscure

Posted: 27 October 2009 11:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-21

[quote author=“MintyNutshell”]
Having experienced the MW forum, it seems to me that there are a few contributors who are elitist and look down on other ‘mere mortals’ with an arrogant belief in their own righteousness. As if they are “the chosen ” Minimal Synth collector(s).
MN

Well, MW has never been a petting zoo, however I think there’s nothing special about this, as forums tend to turn into battle zones at times. In a nutshell, they’re very much like real life, only stick up your head if you also have the guts to defend it. :wink:

However, since two of the members you encountered here have become hyperactive of late, posting has become a bit of a strain.

With obscure the problem is that despite his - well let’s just call it “non-standard personality”, some of the collectors still react to him in a way they wouldn’t necessarily react to him if they came across a similar person in let’s say a pub.  :wink:

Of course a behaviour pattern like his strongly suggests that he really has nothing else to cling on to in life save his old pieces of plastic he indeed most likely is unable to cherish.

Still, some pay him some low-level respect here because they consider him useful as he has the stuff they’re addicted to. Of course this maybe more in the sense of a monkey with a flask of water in the desert you don’t want to run away, but still.

And for as long as this happens, he will be coming back for more as this tiny bit of respect is really all he can get.

Now when I saw you posting, I thought this might be somebody who could contribute to the forum and offer something.

Of course it’s completely up to you, but please consider that not everybody is like that and that MW is also bigger than the few members that regularily post here. Personally, I think it’s wrong not to share knowledge if the sole reason is that you don’t want to share with someone like obscure.  :wink:

Posted: 28 October 2009 11:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]  
Administrator
RankRank
Joined  2006-06-21

Well Falck, you seem to have a voice of moderation and reason and I will give serious consideration to what you have written.

However, one point I cannot and will not move on. I will not put the personal details of any person on any public forum.

Can no-one else see that to do this would be a breach of confidense, privacy and integrity?

MN

Posted: 28 October 2009 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-10

Mintynutshell,

There is some integrity for you.  You can call me and I’ll play you some of the best U.K. minimal synth records that exist.  I think you have to dial 011 or something :wink:

Posting a persons name on the internet is whatever.  Especially if that person is “semi-public figure” already as you claim.  Don’t live in fear dude.

It is o.k.,  there are absolutely no U.K. citizens that are minimal synth collectors.

The case is closed.  Thanks for helping out.

obscure

Posted: 28 October 2009 10:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2006-08-07

Actually there’s a HUGE difference in posting YOUR own personal details AND SOMEONE ELSES details on a public forum!
BTW Identity Theft is a huge problem and I would recommend you remove your details.

I know who Minty Nutshell is referring to and know for a fact that they would not want their personal PRIVATE details posted here (even JUST their name) without permission.  It is up to the individual to do that or to contact you in private…that’s what the private messages are for.

Just for the record the person in question is a massive minimal synth collector not just vinyl but actual synthesisers.  I wouldn’t call them crazy, as they are a highly respected figure in the minimal and public eye.

Don’t insinuate someone a liar just because they respect this and have the integrity not to go against their principles to prove a point.

Posted: 28 October 2009 11:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]  
Administrator
RankRank
Joined  2006-06-21

Hi and thanks for your support.

However please take note of this warning. Obscure’s tactic is to try to provoke someone into revealling the information he/she wants.

The only way Obscure can do this is to deny what you and I know to be true and hope that it makes us angry enough to reveal what he wants. Implying we are liars is just part of this tactic.

Please don’t fall into this trap.

MN

Posted: 28 October 2009 11:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-21

@MN

Just to make sure, when I spoke about sharing your knowledge, I wasn’t referring to the names of minimal synth collectors in the UK of course. Everybody takes their own approach to collecting, and personally I am more into unknown music and collecting records then into collecting the names of mysterious collectors.  :wink: 

@KirstyW

Identity theft in the case at hand? You being serious?  8)

Posted: 28 October 2009 11:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]  
Administrator
RankRank
Joined  2006-06-21

Hi Falck,

Sorry, my coment was not aimed at you. and I understood your meaning.

Identity theft : Yes of course this is a serious problem. This is a public forum, anyone can look at these threads, you do not need to be member to do this. It is a serious problem in the UK and most UK forums actively prevent personal information being passed outside of the PM system. These posts are usually pulled by the moderators because there are legal liability issues which could result in the forum being sued if they do not act responsibly. (Minimal Wave take note)

Let me put a hypothetical situation to you. What if Tony Blair was a minimal synth collector. If I posted Tony Blair’s name and telephone number and email address on a forum, someone could now come along pretending to be another collector to gain confidense and more detailed information. These people (not minimal collectors) are very devious and use the smallest peace of information to build on and get a foot in someones door.

Only this week in the UK news there has been a Member of Parialment who had his identity stolen here in the UK.

It is a serious problem and one to be taken very seriously.

Perhaps this doesn’t happen so much in the US, Germany etc but is happening here.

MN

Posted: 29 October 2009 12:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-21

Hmm, shouldn’t have told you I’m German, people tend to go into “it can’t be humour then” mode.  :wink:

OK, let me rephrase:

Now if you wanted to steal an identity, would you pick obscure’s?  8)

3 of 4

The top ten minimal synth countries.      |     UK bands ››