Le Syndicat Electronique
Posted: 24 November 2006 01:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  840
Joined  2006-03-03

[quote author=“solvent”]

you know, i think it can be way too confusing to use the term “new wave”

The New Wave is a term used to describe the sheer BULK of new bands after punk, really. It means the bands of those years around 79-82, and it’s only much later been seen as a sort of genre… I once bought a bunch of old music mags/papers/fanzines from that time and DIRE STRAITS were “new wave”. Yes really, you could go to a club in 1979, and see them share a bill with Spandau Ballet, or some punk band, or both… The point was DIY, do things that isn’t done by everybody else, be different from the bands that inspire you. Which is a better agenda than the retro bands around nowadays, although I should maybe not start THAT discussion here and now wink

i can understand why some people would dislike new romantic… the new romantic movement was very shallow… but hey, i love some of it. i would love to jump into the video for “planet earth” and talk to nick rhodes about synthesizers. i’m not a purist “minimal-wave” guy - i would rather listen to “Fade to Grey” than “Subhuman”.

Not only do I respect this, I guess I agree with you too. Although ONE Spandaus LP is enough for me, and I will never listen to Culture Club.

TG is the only artist that you list, IMO, who had a clear confrontational agenda, and i don’t much like TG, only a few of the more synthpop songs like “Hot on the Heels”, “Adrenaline”, “Walkaround”....

“AB/7A”, “United”. Also “Discipline” and “Very Friendly”. And “Roman P” by PTV!

big “fight”: “grrrr, i’m the operator of my pocket calculator”

LOL

i suppose if i met one of my heroes like Phillip Oakey and he was an egotistical, negative person who insulted me and everyone i know, then perhaps i would be turned off from listening to the Human League for a while…. but would i stop listening to the Human League forever? no way, i couldn’t do it.

Come on… You hear ONE LINE of singing from this guy and you know he’s a great person!! You see ONE CLIP from the “Made in Sheffield” DVD interview, and you think, wow, what a great guy! Philip Oakey would never go about insulting people, exactly in the same way that Superman wouldn’t. He can get my sister’s mobile number any time he wants it.  raspberry

maybe they were political people but it’s not reflected in their art, and even if it was, it’s not what i listen to them for. i guess Visage did sing about some major conflict though, there was that terrible “crash of the anvil at the nightclub school”!

myes, recent research shows that this was their first delve into the racist undertones in their music which ultimately would alienate their fans. A video was shot where the anvil was crashed by a gang of black thugs, planning a hostile takeover of England. In the end, Steve Strange dressed as Margaret Thatcher boots them out of Parliament in the 11th hour… The video was not screened, and the KKK-influenced last scene ensured that YouTube probably won’t upload it either.
This explains why the German-language version of this song is now their most sought-after release; it was met with boycott, no doubt the German Zionist mafia was behind this.

notice how this Nazi-issue has become such a main focus of this discussion, even though it is only 1 of several points i made… that’s because it’s a very touchy subject.

No, that’s because I didn’t know anything about the ACTUAL topic, and wanted to write about something loosely related. You get that a lot in web forums. wink

now we have reactorlgtn proving my point - you weren’t on the GD forums and didn’t meet the guy, so now you only have the music to judge LSE on—the baggage surrounding the music is already disappearing into the past.

So, if I still say, pants to LSE, I have enough other artists I need to check out before finding out about a band of dubious social skill, does this alter your point? -But no, I have one single with LSE, which is good (Westmoon Klub/ Geldmann, thanks Carlo!), so maybe I shold listen to some more stuff from him.
But if I find just ONE song with a title like “Hitler is underrated” I’m off.  LOL

Posted: 24 November 2006 02:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  727
Joined  2005-12-05

I’m sure you meant this ironic, but it was these kinds of remarks that gave LSE it’s image:

the German Zionist mafia was behind this

Signature 

Delicious toes are swimming in my soup

Posted: 24 November 2006 08:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  495
Joined  2006-02-03

[quote author=“Spartak”]I’m sure you meant this ironic, but it was these kinds of remarks that gave LSE it’s image:

it is not what gave LSE its image… it is what other people (some people I will not name) wanted other people to believe about LSE… funny as most of these people never met the IP people… only rumors and rumors…

Everybody is always bla bla about free speech and freedom in arts and when there is just one arists they cannot define or understand they have a problem and call him a nazi… it is pathetic… and this is all I am going to say about it…

Posted: 25 November 2006 12:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  840
Joined  2006-03-03

[quote author=“M”][quote author=“Spartak”]I’m sure you meant this ironic, but it was these kinds of remarks that gave LSE it’s image:

it is not what gave LSE its image… it is what other people (some people I will not name) wanted other people to believe about LSE… funny as most of these people never met the IP people… only rumors and rumors…

Everybody is always bla bla about free speech and freedom in arts and when there is just one arists they cannot define or understand they have a problem and call him a nazi… it is pathetic… and this is all I am going to say about it…

Of course, if LSE has “personally insulted” a member of this forum “and every artist/friend that i know in really ugly, tactless ways”, you can not say it is only rumours. Apart from that, you have some good points.

And Spartak, re the Zionist mafia, not only that but the whole paragraph about the Visage video was a joke. I was thinking maybe someone would try to stick the Nazi tag on me for this, but I haven’t the guts to wait and find out, so… no, I was being ironic.

Posted: 25 November 2006 12:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  153
Joined  2006-04-10

[quote author=“Spartak”]but I’ll prefer to have a debate with people on the basis of arguments.

To say the truth I don’t see arguments in any side… or we don’t see “arguments” in the same level. If you don’t understand my english, well, you should buy a dictionnary. Thank you for your support by the way, deeply appreciated.

Posted: 25 November 2006 04:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-05

[quote author=“alanbyond”][quote author=“Spartak”]but I’ll prefer to have a debate with people on the basis of arguments.

If you don’t understand my english, well, you should buy a dictionnary. Thank you for your support by the way, deeply appreciated.

Where can i buy an alanbyond dictionary?

Signature 

Posted: 25 November 2006 05:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-05

[quote author=“reactorlgtn”]

Of course, if LSE has “personally insulted” a member of this forum “and every artist/friend that i know in really ugly, tactless ways”, you can not say it is only rumours. Apart from that, you have some good points.

Well I also know from close friends LSE liked to play around with the image he had. Saying something that initially put people on the wrong leg (thinking it would run into an anti-semitic remark when it did not). And I do recall he made a few of those “Zionist” remarks on GD although they were less specific and more cryptic.

And Spartak, re the Zionist mafia, not only that but the whole paragraph about the Visage video was a joke. I was thinking maybe someone would try to stick the Nazi tag on me for this, but I haven’t the guts to wait and find out, so… no, I was being ironic.

yes but as you see i took a fragment out of context. If the irony (of the whole piece) were lost on you only that part sticks with your memory.
I’m not saying LSE’s irony was lost on people but that people can misinterprete or read more into someones remarks then there actually was (probably like i did with Solist’s remark)

That doesnt take away the general feeling i have that failing or refusing to take away the ambiguity, but playing with it on certain occasions, is not a very tasteful showcase of artistic mystification. But if I’d got that same feeling from the music itself it would be a definitive dealbreaker for me.

Signature 

Posted: 27 November 2006 04:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  153
Joined  2006-04-10

[quote author=“Spartak”]Where can i buy an alanbyond dictionary?

I think you want me to answer you “In your ass” as it’s the only thing you want/can understand from me.

Posted: 27 November 2006 05:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  349
Joined  2005-12-04

8O

Signature 

D’un sillon l’autre…

Posted: 27 November 2006 06:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-05

is there an ignore function on this forum?

Signature 

Posted: 30 November 2006 03:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  560
Joined  2006-03-18

Why “ignore”?
I’ve have had a fun read sofar seeing people with veritable knowledge of what “new wave” is” and people who apparently don’t bother about facts that much, because they feel that things a such and such getting in a cat fight. But having grown up in the early 80’s I remember being politicall was also a bit of a fashion statement until most got bored with that around 1981 and chose to sing to happier and shallow subjects. Just think of Vice Versa changing into ABC or The Human League pt1 into The Human League pt2. It made them superstars, but artistically they became less interesting. 

I still don’t see any trace a adoration of nazism in LSE btw. KC got the same shit and they weren’t nazi’s either.

Signature 

Brian Eno sank my battleship

3 of 3