1 of 1
Vinyl decks
Posted: 30 August 2009 03:35 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  840
Joined  2006-03-03

So, my trusty old record player (don’t know its name, it’s kind of a rega planar copy) is beginning to show signs of its age. I don’t even remember how long it is since I changed record player…

So, maybe time to send it into retirement - and get a new one.

Any of you hi-fi freaks out there know what’s the thing to have? Anything to beat the old SL 1210, which I’m currently considering to buy?

Posted: 30 August 2009 04:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2005-12-10

If it has to be new and you don’t want to spend more than 500 EUR I don’t think there are any alternatives to the Technics turntable. If it can be a used one or you have more money to spend there are quite a few out there.

Posted: 30 August 2009 04:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  89
Joined  2000-11-09

Re: Vinyl decks

[quote author=“reactorlgtn”]So, my trusty old record player (don’t know its name, it’s kind of a rega planar copy) is beginning to show signs of its age. I don’t even remember how long it is since I changed record player…

So, maybe time to send it into retirement - and get a new one.

Any of you hi-fi freaks out there know what’s the thing to have? Anything to beat the old SL 1210, which I’m currently considering to buy?

First, I still use the DUAL 606 I bought in 1980 together with the OM20 cartridge. ( what’s wrong with a little ego tripping ? )

I would buy a 1200 or 1210
It is surely one of the best turntables available, no doubt.
There are cheaper things available from “obscure” brands but I doubt the availability as it comes to service and spare parts.
Because of it’s popularity the 1200/1210 can serve you the rest of your life.

Unless you want to use your new turntable to DJ or scratch with, you shouldn’t put a DJ stylus in. DJ stylus’ lack HF response compared to normal ones due to the fact their angle in the groove is 90 degrees while it should be somewhat tilted like the record cutting lathe has.

Ton

Posted: 02 September 2009 12:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  727
Joined  2005-12-05

The technics sl 1200 / 1210 has more of a reputation to be durable than it actually is.
if you’re not djing it’s all about the tone-arm which, frankly, is rather mediocre and fragile on the sl 1210. You get play among the bearings quite easily.

if i were you i would go for a rega p3, affordable and with a decent body and arm:

acrylic_turntable2-1.jpg

it cost a little more (around e 900 incl element) but i think it’s worth it.

or perhaps if you’re serious about quality, you might consider one step up the ladder:
the clearaudio emotion I myself am looking to buy offers hi-fi quality for an affordable price (slightly more than the rega p3)

CLEARAUDIO  EMOTION.JPG

Signature 

Delicious toes are swimming in my soup

Posted: 02 September 2009 02:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  122
Joined  2005-12-27

1200’s not sturdy? mine have held up through being thrown into car trunks, stepped on countless times, bathed in spilled drinks, run over by stampeding elephants, etc. granted, they are largely held together by duct tape and speaker wire, but they STILL WORK. i have never owned any electronics so durable, so suited to my negligent lifestyle…

Posted: 02 September 2009 05:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2005-12-10

The new Clearaudio Concept maybe worth a look.

P1020275.JPG

It is less than 1000 Euro incl. Cartridge. It has a new tonearm with magnetic bearing. The platter is made of POM which is very heavy and has good dampening characteristics.

Posted: 03 September 2009 04:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  727
Joined  2005-12-05

@teachu2die: what i meant is that it’s a bit like a lada: it will keep on running forever like a tank but dont ask for precise steering and control.
I have rarily encountered a used technics tonearm without noticable play.

But that clearaudio concept is a very good suggestion: basically a stripped down DD turntable with a good tonearm. thanks for the tip!

Signature 

Delicious toes are swimming in my soup

Posted: 03 September 2009 10:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  840
Joined  2006-03-03

Thanks all of you for input!

@ SPart: I was actually thinking about the Rega planar p3; of course my friend Sven, not having to pay for it himself, decided that I should at least get a model p5 at twice the price. Myes.

It’s interesting to see that the decks we were talking about in the early nineties are still the best value for money. This may tell us something about the business…

Posted: 24 January 2010 11:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-01-24

Save yourself the time and money and get a Rega P1 from Important Records:

http://importantrecords.com/rega/rega.htm

Posted: 26 January 2010 05:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Administrator
RankRank
Total Posts:  43
Joined  2008-06-09

I have a Rega P3, it’s been fantastic. I recently put in a Sumiko Pearl cart to replace the Denon DL-something that had been in there awhile. Check out http://www.audiogon.com, it’s how I originally bought the P3. Very lightly used, and 1/2 the price of a new one!

1 of 1

Roland MSQ-100      |     SIEL Opera 6 - manual wanted ››