1 of 1
Expensive compilation
Posted: 02 June 2009 11:08 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  840
Joined  2006-03-03

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380127226351

Not sure I’d congratulate the new owner… ALthough it looks a fascinating compilation, judging by the track list.

It’s the second time I saw it on eBay, the last it fetched £1000, so this is the most expensive minimal electro record right now, isn’t it?

Posted: 03 June 2009 12:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  246
Joined  2006-08-28

WTF!  8O

Posted: 03 June 2009 05:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  727
Joined  2005-12-05

anybody know the those attractive magnets song?
or any other good song besides Welcome to the Night?

but yeah looks like we have a winner!

Signature 

Delicious toes are swimming in my soup

Posted: 03 June 2009 06:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  55
Joined  2007-05-15

I was watching this one for the “Those Attractive Magnets” song. I read somewhere that it was much better than “Love Chimes”, so I thought I’d bid…but when I saw where the auction was heading, it moved quickly out of my comfort zone for an unheard item.

Posted: 03 June 2009 08:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  128
Joined  2009-01-03

Is that the same Roman Holiday as the “Motormania” one?

Funny thing about the label, Ebony is an all metal label:

http://nwobhm.info/nwobhm/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=55&Itemid=42

Signature 

Welcome To The Sheep Pen

New Mailorder here to stay.

[url=http://www.wool-e-shop.be]http://www.wool-e-shop.be[/url]
<strong><strong>

Posted: 03 June 2009 08:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  560
Joined  2006-03-18

Oh, come on! No record is ever worth that much money unless it’s made of gold.  8O

Signature 

Brian Eno sank my battleship

Posted: 03 June 2009 09:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  89
Joined  2000-11-09

[quote author=“AirCrashBureau”]Oh, come on! No record is ever worth that much money unless it’s made of gold.  8O

Exactly my thoughts.
Don’t blame me.
I’m not a vinyl collector.

Ton

Posted: 04 June 2009 06:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-05

[quote author=“Ton”][quote author=“AirCrashBureau”]Oh, come on! No record is ever worth that much money unless it’s made of gold.  8O

Exactly my thoughts.
Don’t blame me.
I’m not a vinyl collector.

Ton

so let me get this straight: you are not allowed to download the mp3s of this compilation (if you succeed to find them somewhere) and shelling out the big bucks in order to get it is also not ok?
so how are you supposed to get in touch with the music then?
nevermind answering, i already know the answer (enough other good music around)

Signature 

Posted: 04 June 2009 09:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2000-11-09

[quote author=“Spartak”]
so let me get this straight: you are not allowed to download the mp3s of this compilation (if you succeed to find them somewhere) and shelling out the big bucks in order to get it is also not ok?
so how are you supposed to get in touch with the music then?
never mind answering, i already know the answer (enough other good music around)

Hi Kris,
I hope you don’t mind that I answer anyhow. Or do you ?
No objection by me to start a discussion about it again.

There is a slight change of mind with me I guess.
I think everybody should just do whatever they like as it comes to this.
Of course I have SoulSeek installed here and of course I had a vast collection of cassette tapes in the 80’s full of illegally taped music.
I admit I do the same I blame others.
Still I think it is a case of showing off for people to put downloads in public on a blog. I think those people just get off on the thought of being important by using someone else’s art.
And they never ask the artist (I know I am recently being accused of doing the same but that’s all bullshit to me)

In this particular case of the mentioned compilation I can tell you I am not at all interested in this compilation.
As I told once in some interview I think I heard enough music in my life.
I only listen to new things if brought under my attention but 99% of the times I listen to new things I think: “Pfff, heard this before”
Anyhow I still think I am happy not to be a vinyl collector which to me doesn’t seem anything to do with the music itself.

And last but not least I like to say:
You can’t always get what you want. (I should know)
Claiming to have the right to hear all music seems an extreme form of decadence to me.

Ton

Posted: 05 June 2009 07:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  122
Joined  2005-12-27

“Claiming to have the right to hear all music seems an extreme form of decadence to me. “

i think this is the real crux of the issue. i completely agree this all-permeating sense of entitlement is a pox upon both artist and consumer. and this is not a crime i’m completely innocent of, as well…

“I only listen to new things if brought under my attention but 99% of the times I listen to new things I think: “Pfff, heard this before” “

this teleological view of music parallels some of the sentiments you expressed in the ‘production’ thread. while i agree that new music shouldn’t be flagrantly regurgitative, this culturally-imposed imperative to innovate has engendered an environment where novelty is pursued at the cost of artistry. legions of neophiliacs are left with a substanceless impulse to generate. it’s precisely this impulse that spawns loathsome things like mash-up culture and all the hyper-sample laptop cutup bullshit - newness for the sake of newness. to keep pace, autocannibalization is inevitable.
of course, the opposite extreme, a stalwart belief in traditions past, isn’t entirely preferable. we all know what benito mussolini has to say about that raspberry raspberry raspberry

Posted: 05 June 2009 10:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-05

“Claiming to have the right to hear all music seems an extreme form of decadence to me. ”

basically you are saying downloading unauthorised mp3s or home taping is a decadent enterprise.
Decadence has a wasteful notion though. What would be truely decadent ?

downloading a song and not bother listening to it.
or buying an LP for 2000 usd and never play it.
or play it in the clubs and spilling beer over it?

However, from a philosophical pov you are absolutely right. But not in the way you meant it.

it’s decadence to refuse to live through the mechanisms of efficiency and productivity. art should not be about money or intellectual rights. look up decadence on the dutch wikipedia site. ignit van kasteren’s show is one link removed from that page. Coincidence? I think not.

Signature 

Posted: 06 June 2009 03:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2000-11-09

[quote author=“Spartak”]“Claiming to have the right to hear all music seems an extreme form of decadence to me. ”

basically you are saying downloading unauthorised mp3s or home taping is a decadent enterprise. .

No, I said “Claiming to have the right to hear all music seems an extreme form of decadence to me.” Nothing about downloading there.
On second thoughts I think I misused the word decadence somewhat but I think people got my point.
[quote author=“Spartak”]Decadence has a wasteful notion though. What would be truely decadent ?
downloading a song and not bother listening to it.

Doesn’t sound decadent, only a waste of energy.
[quote author=“Spartak”]“or buying an LP for 2000 usd and never play it.

Decadence for sure !
[quote author=“Spartak”]“or play it in the clubs and spilling beer over it?

Sounds like consumption society.

[quote author=“Spartak”]look up decadence on the dutch wikipedia site. ignit van kasteren’s show is one link removed from that page. Coincidence? I think not.

I heard somewhere that within 5 clicks you can get from any page on the internet to any other place on the internet so no real surprise there.
Second the page you refer to is not about decadence but an artform based on decadence. That’s not the same. For instance I don’t like to be naive but I like the artform based on it.

Ton

Posted: 06 June 2009 07:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-05

[quote author=“Ton”]
No, I said “Claiming to have the right to hear all music seems an extreme form of decadence to me.” Nothing about downloading there.

downloading stuff illegaly is the very exact essence of “claiming the right to hear a song”. Put your money where your mouth is Ton. There is no other example of “claiming” music other then ‘stealing’ it one way or the other.

Second the page you refer to is not about decadence but an artform based on decadence. That’s not the same. For instance I don’t like to be naive but I like the artform based on it.

You have it the other way around. the notion of decadence as we use it today is derived from the philosophical movement of decadence with the ‘artform’ a manifestation of that movement. The page i referred to is about the concept of decadance, not just the artform. So before you lecture me on the difference try to get the fundamentals right.

Signature 

Posted: 06 June 2009 07:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  170
Joined  2005-12-10

GET A ROOM

Posted: 06 June 2009 09:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank