2 of 5
Analog CyberPunk Compilations
Posted: 29 December 2008 04:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  495
Joined  2006-02-03

ah… I forgot… I am NOT 100% against obscure music being available as downloads… as long as people download this and BUY the real thing when they can find it… BUT my example in the post above is what I really despise… how can one even think about doing this and think this is normal!!

The problem with music being available as downloads is that people think they can just make available everything… so also complete recent ly released records ... as in my example above…

Posted: 29 December 2008 05:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  29
Joined  2008-08-13

Labels still have their buyers. Because lust for long-forgotten music is not equal to lust for owning rare vinyls. About “download scene”. It is not a bunch of clueless boys deceived by technology, it’s simply the future of media and noone can do a damn thing about it. Actually, it’s more like a PRESENT DAY of media, and anyone who thinks otherwise, sounds very outdated.

And, back to the original topic: I’d like to see tags fixed for every track. It’s quite a pain to rewrite them for every compilation. Emerson could make it easier for everyone smile

Signature 

<div>The lights shine clear through the sodium haze

The night draws near and daylight fades

Ignore the voices discard the day

For the brand new darkness for the bright new way</div>

Posted: 29 December 2008 06:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-03

[quote author=“SeanDeigh”]Labels still have their buyers. Because lust for long-forgotten music is not equal to lust for owning rare vinyls. About “download scene”. It is not a bunch of clueless boys deceived by technology, it’s simply the future of media and noone can do a damn thing about it. Actually, it’s more like a PRESENT DAY of media, and anyone who thinks otherwise, sounds very outdated.

And, back to the original topic: I’d like to see tags fixed for every track. It’s quite a pain to rewrite them for every compilation. Emerson could make it easier for everyone smile

nonesense! Downloads are nothing… o’s and 1’s… a record is a gesamtkunstwerk…

Posted: 29 December 2008 06:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  840
Joined  2006-03-03

HAve to agree with Sean here, I think that the mp3-rips on torrent sites, blogs etc are made by and for a different audience than the record collectors. Some people do not care about ‘owning’ the music, others do.
I have a lot of friends who like some of my obscure 80s synth stuff, but who do not own a vinyl player themselves and so have only heard this music through my collection. What’s the difference between hearing something over at mine, and hearing it from a blog?

As regards M’s statement on “small independent records label putting lots of money and time in releasing limited edition vinyls”; One important problem has been that sometimes, the small indie labels did not take the necessary time and money to make the re-releases as good as possible. I’ve mentioned this other places on mw - mint records that sound as they skip, because they’ve been mastered from a skipping original… I have some LPs, CDs as well, which should have been taken from my vinyl rips instead of the horribly worn copies they’ve used. Some reissues sound indeed suspiciously similar to the mp3s on torrents…

Paying €€€ on ebay for the originals does not often benefit the artist, and getting the reissues doesn’t always give you what you pay for.

Anyway, I for one appreciate the possibility of listening to music before I’ve parted with a bunch of hard-earned cash, until I can get said music in physical formats.

Oh and yes, I AM about to release some rare Norwegian music from the 80s officially, artist’s consent and royalties and the whole shebang, through my new label. Will I feel the same way about this when I see my own remastered product on torrents for free? Well, I hope so - since after all, see it on torrents I will.

Posted: 29 December 2008 08:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-03

of course… of course… BUT… I am not talking here about cheap bootleg or otherwise non quality releases… like I said my example says it all… people have no respect for anything anymore these days…

Posted: 29 December 2008 09:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Joined  2008-08-13

[quote author=“reactorlgtn”]I have some LPs, CDs as well, which should have been taken from my vinyl rips instead of the horribly worn copies they’ve used. Some reissues sound indeed suspiciously similar to the mp3s on torrents…

Paying €€€ on ebay for the originals does not often benefit the artist, and getting the reissues doesn’t always give you what you pay for.

Sad but true… There’s nothing to add here.

[quote author=“M”]of course… of course… BUT… I am not talking here about cheap bootleg or otherwise non quality releases… like I said my example says it all… people have no respect for anything anymore these days…

Let me give you another (rather personal) example. I live in the country where average person’s monthly income is about $300. Well, it’s still possible to buy CD releases, you’ll say. Oh sure, sure it is… But wait, what’s that? Upon crossing the border, the price of any media product increases by 40%. Not sure if there’s a name for this sort of tax in english. I call it ‘freaking bloody hell’, works for me. I could still buy some CDs from time to time. But guess what, not your personal martyr. I only buy stuff i find in the non-mainstream musical store (there’s one in my city); the stuff re-released on local labels. And I hope artists know those labels even exist. That’s the story. I’m not whining, just giving you some illustrative example of how some of the people “have no respect for anything these days”. I respect the artists by listening to their music; the labels and the re-sellers will have to find someone else to suck their bucks from.

Signature 

Posted: 29 December 2008 09:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  282
Joined  2005-12-05

if I understand you well you don’t care about small independent records label putting lots of money and time in releasing limited edition vinyls? You prefer low quality sound in the form of 1 and 0’s instead? Funny world…

What I am talking about here and protest against is the distribution of music labels suchs as my own have released and are put out there on internet for free… either individual tracks or complete albums… My protest is more then normal I think…

Do you have problems of comprehension or i explained the thing in a wrong way? or you dont read what i wrote simply…as these words are simply out of topic

what i wrote in my first post?

“Second, a new generation of so called ‘experts’ is born. They just download some data files from internet (that we call mp3) and they think they know all about music, not even buying the records when are out, not supporting the good labels as Annalogue, Minimal Wave, Clogsontronics, Brouillard Definitif and the others. For me this is simply crazy.”

and

“but i think that nobody will never say a word against the fact that THANKS TO the Flexi and Complex compilations, the rippers on slsk/blogs, a lot of these bands can now live a second life. In fact another point that i would like to clarify is that for me is very important to NOT RIP the things that r still available to buy (in stock) from the Labels we all like. They do a great and difficoult job, with a small quantity of copies, they simply have to survive to print other things. “

read better next time, thanks

Posted: 29 December 2008 09:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Joined  2008-08-13

Well, peter_m, there’s nothing that can be done about this.
Records which are not ripped put on the internet, are at risk to simply disappear. Vanish into nothingness. For some artists, the crappy vinyl-rip is made from the only copy available and known to humanity.
Labels? I respect what Minimal Wave does, i really do.
But labels to this moment are… extinct. As an industry, at the very least.
New artists promote themselves through last.fm, some of them completely free, the old ones are put into zeroes and ones or otherwise vanish from history.

is very important to NOT RIP the things that r still available to buy (in stock) from the Labels we all like.

Why? The most zealous fan or a collectionaire would still buy those. Internet rips only make it impossible for re-sellers to ridiculously increase the prices for them, but the labels will still have their buyers.

Signature 

Posted: 29 December 2008 10:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-03

you seem to take everything I write very VERY personal… I address my postings to nobody personal (in this case smile ) except maybe for those we come here too and spread music illegaly… so feel spoken too only when you are spreading (my) published works illegaly…

Posted: 29 December 2008 10:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Joined  2008-08-13

Yes, I do take it quite personal. With your permission, i’ll continue to smile

Signature 

Posted: 29 December 2008 10:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  282
Joined  2005-12-05

[quote author=“SeanDeigh”]Well, peter_m, there’s nothing that can be done about this.
Records which are not ripped put on the internet, are at risk to simply disappear. Vanish into nothingness. For some artists, the crappy vinyl-rip is made from the only copy available and known to humanity..

i know it very well, Sean, im running the 7’’ from the underground blog also for this good reason, but after a while (after 1 year) i found out the same quantity of bad reasons to stop/decelerate it…

i think i wrote all on the 2 posts ...positive and negative effects…but i dont like that somebody tries to convince me that the sharing did and is doing a disaster for these labels, cause is in fact the contrary. the mp3s gived a second opportunity to these bands and now is the time to support them buying the re-issues when they r out or going to live sets or whatever..

Posted: 29 December 2008 11:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  129
Joined  2005-12-05

Can’t understand why just snippets of the songs, sort of a movie trailer, couldn’t do on all these blogs? Then you could decide if you like it or not, and hopefully, buy the record. Great, undiscovered/obscure music wouldn’t be forgotten and perhaps even the author would earn a bit…

Posted: 29 December 2008 12:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  840
Joined  2006-03-03

@ SeanD: $300 a month? Not you who bought the Fall of Saigon LP on ebay today then I suppose wink

There are too many facets of blogging/ spreading mp3s of music. It’s good and bad, some of it’s good and some of it is bad, and we’re really discussing fifty different things on a level of principle. Which is making my head spin :?

I know the guy who has the
http://paranoiaisfreedom.blogspot.com/
blog, he puts up a lot of music with artists’ consent, stuff that is unlikely to be reissued, but too good to let slip into oblivion.

Now I made some cassette demos in the early nineties. stuff I am not necessarily proud of, and stuff I wouldn’t want to see on a CD or LP, but if this one guy likes it enough to write about it on his blog and make a zip file of his favourite tracks by me, bless him say I. No-one knows if he could have made a buck reissuing the stuff on CD-R, (I think not, but there’s all sorts of crazy people out there) because he’s doing this not for money, but in spite of the lack of money, for the love of music.

It’s not contradicting any posts by others here, it’s just a different picture to add next to some of the ones we’ve seen in this thread.

@ samen: the “snippet” philosophy was how many major label artists presented themselves on MySpace a while ago, after it turned out that MySpace didn’t go away. Eventually, it’s become more common to use full tracks and giveaways instead of teasers like these - I can only assume that people prefer to hear the whole song, or find it hard to judge a recorded work based on a 50-sec lo-fi mp3 sample.

Posted: 29 December 2008 09:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-03

I see some people just do not want to understand… I am curious how they would see this if their releases (musician or label) would be on internet for download without even being asked for permission… I know now they will say it is okay but I am sure they will say different when it would be reality… for me the discussion ends here… and I must say it is strange a place tlike this where one would expect music lovers is a place where some people can support their illegal work…

Posted: 29 December 2008 11:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Joined  2008-08-13

[quote author=“M”]I see some people just do not want to understand… I am curious how they would see this if their releases (musician or label) would be on internet for download without even being asked for permission… I know now they will say it is okay but I am sure they will say different when it would be reality… for me the discussion ends here… and I must say it is strange a place tlike this where one would expect music lovers is a place where some people can support their illegal work…

I see some people just don’t want to understand.
You cannot fight the flood.
If the water floods the land, stop whining and get a boat.
Yes, flood illegaly invaded your house. But the whole thing is larger than you.
Everyone already got a boat. Get yours.

Signature 

2 of 5

Neural circus      |     To boot or not to boot ? ››