1 of 2
Korg KR-55
Posted: 18 May 2008 04:23 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  282
Joined  2005-12-05

Hello,

Does anybody have the manual of the Korg Kr-55 in pdf? I know is very easy to use but is just to have it smile

thanks!

Alex

Posted: 29 May 2008 03:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-05

eheh i know is better the B Version..but i was only able to find the A..

if u r searchin for other manuals feel free to ask!

Posted: 10 June 2008 03:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-05

Also: anybody tried to modify with a TRIG IN this great drum machien?

it should be very usefull to have something IN and not only OUT..

Posted: 11 June 2008 07:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  58
Joined  2005-12-21

there is a kit available for that modification from analogue solutions, as well as a kit to add individual drum outs (awesome if you want to only effect one instrument and not the whole kit).  the kits are a bit overpriced, but come with decent instructions so you won’t mess up your prized beatbox!

Posted: 12 June 2008 02:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-05
[quote author=“seth”]there is a kit available for that modification from analogue solutions, as well as a kit to add individual drum outs (awesome if you want to only effect one instrument and not the whole kit).  the kits are a bit overpriced, but come with decent instructions so you won’t mess up your prized beatbox!

guess if is possibile to diy…im gonna ask to my repairations guy smile

Posted: 17 June 2008 09:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  100
Joined  2005-12-25

KR-55 modification

I’ve got a sketch of a mod for DIN Sync input.  It involves 3 ICs and a couple of capacitors and resistors.  I haven’t done it yet, it’s done by a Swede and I can’t make out all the notes.  Perhaps one of you Europeans can make sense of the writing?  PM for details.

I’d also like to make a V-trig output so I don’t have to run the s-trig throught the 2600 voltage processor to step the CSQ-600.

I wonder how hard it would be to burn an eprom with new patterns?

Signature 

b l e a k

Posted: 17 June 2008 12:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-21

Re: KR-55 modification

[quote author=“futility”]
I wonder how hard it would be to burn an eprom with new patterns?

probably pretty hard since the patterns arent stored on eproms.  if you’re already modding it though, you might consider individual trigger ins for the sounds, so you could externally sequence them.

Posted: 17 June 2008 02:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-05

No of course, there are no eproms, is not a digital drum machine eheheh

eprom were supported by drums like SCI Drumtraks, Linn or Dmx!

I would like to see this schematic u got for the DIN Sync for the Kr55

Posted: 19 June 2008 12:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-25

peter_m check PMs

How are the patterns stored?  A diode matrix?  That would be a lot of diodes!  I just figured there was a little CPU reading the patterns out of a ROM and firing the analog sounds based on the bits it read out for each step.

I’m getting a Needhams programmer for some other projects and thought I might be able to use it for this too.  It would be nice to rip the best of the KR-55 & KR-55B patterns and add a few custom ones.  Such a brilliant machine!

Signature 

b l e a k

Posted: 20 June 2008 01:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-21

well, diodes are small and cheap - especially compared to eproms in the early 80s ^_^

if you can get someone to scan the KR55b documents, there is a drum chart there that charts out every single pattern and fill of the machine.  i sold my KR55b but kept the chart in case i wanted to recreate a pattern later!  they are very effective!

[quote author=“futility”]peter_m check PMs

How are the patterns stored?  A diode matrix?  That would be a lot of diodes!  I just figured there was a little CPU reading the patterns out of a ROM and firing the analog sounds based on the bits it read out for each step.

I’m getting a Needhams programmer for some other projects and thought I might be able to use it for this too.  It would be nice to rip the best of the KR-55 & KR-55B patterns and add a few custom ones.  Such a brilliant machine!

Posted: 20 June 2008 08:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-25

It looks like there is a mask programmable ROM, an NEC D2316EC.

No CPU, but just enough logic I could imagine the buttons pulling address offsets out of the ROMs and the tempo clock driving a counter to do the rest so that bits could determine if triggers are fired or not.

Realistically, I’ll probably just stick to the rock and disco beats and a couple of others that suit me.

But I will give the KR-55 a V-Trigger out, and I will try to clone the ‘good’ Roland CSQ CPU (the one where the patterns complete in stop mode when being stepped.)

Signature 

b l e a k

Posted: 27 June 2008 08:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  117
Joined  2005-12-07

[quote author=“futility”]It looks like there is a mask programmable ROM, an NEC D2316EC.

No CPU, but just enough logic I could imagine the buttons pulling address offsets out of the ROMs and the tempo clock driving a counter to do the rest so that bits could determine if triggers are fired or not.

Realistically, I’ll probably just stick to the rock and disco beats and a couple of others that suit me.

But I will give the KR-55 a V-Trigger out, and I will try to clone the ‘good’ Roland CSQ CPU (the one where the patterns complete in stop mode when being stepped.)

hi, you dont need any silly kits..  just sent you a PM.

Signature 

NO USER SERVICABLE PARTS INSIDE

Posted: 02 January 2009 10:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2009-01-01

[quote author=“peter_m”]eheh i know is better the B Version..but i was only able to find the A..

if u r searchin for other manuals feel free to ask!

Actually, in my opinion, 55A is better than B. It has more groovy beats, unlike B with Jazz…

Signature 

Minimaliztik Arroganz

Posted: 04 January 2009 10:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-05

i found out that Analogue Solutions is doing a midi retrofit for the KR55 A and B both for £89

Posted: 10 June 2009 07:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2009-06-10

hi….

No CPU, but just enough logic I could imagine the buttons pulling address offsets out of the ROMs and the tempo clock driving a counter to do the rest so that bits could determine if triggers are fired or not. .....

Phoenix Lipo

Posted: 13 July 2009 03:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-05

i found out how to fix the trig IN, so who is interested can contact me

1 of 2

Micromoog      |     Dave Smith ››