VSTs, DAWs, and the like…
Posted: 25 May 2007 07:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  644
Joined  2005-12-04

[quote author=“krztov”][quote author=“cr-78”]For the record I dont diss vst:

http://www.minimal-wave.org/site/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=164

but we are talking live no? or did I take the wrong turn sir?

and for the record: the wrong turn was taken when you accused catherine of several things you know nothing about smile

My apologies. It seems it really is you.

I’m sure there will be a million bashings tomorrow morning….I’m going to sleep now..good nite boys and girls.

Signature 

It’s all about the aboveground!

Posted: 25 May 2007 08:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2007-05-24

[quote author=“cr-78”][quote author=“krztov”][quote author=“cr-78”]For the record I dont diss vst:

http://www.minimal-wave.org/site/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=164

but we are talking live no? or did I take the wrong turn sir?

in my opinion, either/or

you say live on backing tracks is like hitting play and doing karaoke, but isnt using a preset on a vst with little to no tweaks the same thing?

Again speak for yourself. You do things the way you know how, don’t assume others do the same.

If I can’t play a song I recorded in the studio I will simply not play it live. End of story, capicce?

im not assuming anything, the truth is in the mp3 i posted.

trust me, i dont use presets, maybe when i first touched vsts/synths, but then i learned how to actually use them.

your condescending undertones here are unappreciated and unnecessary, if you cant take the facts which is also a sort of criticism i suppose, then dont try and accuse others of the same crime (so-to-speak)

Posted: 25 May 2007 10:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  501
Joined  2007-02-21

It’s just a suspicion, but I think the underlying problem of this heated little discussion (taking aside the ego factor) ) might also be some general frustration with the fact that it is generally harder to create an interesting energetic live performance when using electronic gear only?

As Statikcat said, it’s a different story when the guitar boys are trying to kill themselves playing their solos.

Now from a consumer perspective (yes, I know bugger all about technical kit in this context, thanks for asking smile ) it surely looks nicer if you get to see a couple of synths instead of a laptop, and you somehow feel better about having been to concert when somebody at least touched a couple of keys and fiddled with some knobs.

And as a side remark, Welle:Erdball which I saw a couple of months ago used the “Girls in leather waving flags” fix 3.3. to overcome this problem. How incredibly cheap. I just loved it.  LOL

Posted: 26 May 2007 04:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  840
Joined  2006-03-03

[quote author=“falck”]

And as a side remark, Welle:Erdball which I saw a couple of months ago used the “Girls in leather waving flags” fix 3.3. to overcome this problem. How incredibly cheap. I just loved it.  LOL

I wasn’t really going to get entangled in this discussion, mostly because you know gear better than I do, but of course if there’s a side remark…

I saw Welle:Erdball fuck up badly at Swedish alternative music awards (SAMA) 1999 or 2000 (would have to check) - they used full playback in those days. The f-up was when the vocalist missed his cue during Nyntändo Shock. He stood on the stage, mouth wide open, not a sound coming out of him, then on the next bar, the vocals came screaming out while he looked confused. So embarrassing I didn’t even buy their subsequent recordings.

Still love the “Sinn des Lebens” album though.

But it is a point; the live gig is there to entertain me, the audience. If the music is coming out of a minidisc player/ ipod/ laptop, maybe I will feel cheated - and maybe not; I do not appreciate people pretending to be something they’re not (like W:E did).
I’ve enjoyed a gig where the band appeared to have everything programmed except vocals, but I would certainly be more impressed with the live effort when a band has practised their songs to the point where they know how to play them without sequencing.

Ø

Posted: 26 May 2007 05:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2007-05-24

sucks that welle: erdball did that..

backing vocals = suck

closest i’ll ever get to that is one track where i had a backing vocoder verse.

its near impossible to play everything without having somesort of playback, whether its a DAT or the modern alternative, a laptop

unless you just have a drumtrack and a bassline, then it can be done, but generally theres just too many layers.

my shows for instance i have backing tracks, but to not kill the performance i play leads and stuff live here and there, because im usually running around stage dancing around and singing.

keep in mind, if a band were to try and play everything live, it wouldnt be a very energetic performance, but alternating between playing things live and doing other things usually equals a good show, everytime i’ve seen Edward Ka-Spel or Legendary Pink Dots its been that way

Posted: 26 May 2007 05:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-21

Hi Krztof,

Looks like you were quicker to post than me…

Now I think we all hate playback when it comes to vocals, BTW, does anybody still remember that Milli Vanilli video?  :D

As usual we’re going further off-topic now, but I just wondered if Welle:Erball used full playback by default in these days, or if maybe they had to do it the playback way? Typically award and TV show performances are full playback performances, because the organisers want to be on the safe side….

Posted: 26 May 2007 06:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  840
Joined  2006-03-03

Sorry, Falck,
it’s testament to your good sweet nature that you look for extenuating circs,

but no:
It was not an “award” as in a TV show, they performed a full gig with even the vocals on tape. This song was near the very end of the show, and the cockup had everyone very confused…

The other member has a PC keyboard attatched to a joystick, which he “plays” with thick leather gloves. Watching his fingers, he’ll ‘mime’ the rhythm of the lead synth lines, but won’t put his finger on the same keys each time - as well as pressing the keys a whole bunch at a time with his gloved fingers.

I met the vocalist after another show, in Sweden 1999, and asked what the other guy does live. He was kind of vague about it, said something about the light show etc.

I haven’t seen the band for many years, but I seriously doubt that either member had much impact on the music that was played live back in the day.

Posted: 26 May 2007 07:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-02-21

[quote author=“reactorlgtn”]Sorry, Falck,
it’s testament to your good sweet nature that you look for extenuating circs,

I haven’t seen the band for many years, but I seriously doubt that either member had much impact on the music that was played live back in the day.

Evening Reactor,

Well, silly naive me then, just did what I could as their manager :D

All I can add is that the vocals were live in late 2006, and that I quite liked the entertainment bit (which also included ironing boards).

Didn’t quite understand the last bit, really, concerning the line-up there’s always been Honey, A.L.F. and their C-64 with some ever changing (what they refer to as “femininity”) women….but I guess you were more going in the direction that they had never been much of a live band….

Posted: 14 June 2007 08:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  117
Joined  2005-12-07

IMO

vst vs analog synth?(TONS you can do live on an actual synth then on vst)
cd vs vinyl?-(vinyl-plenty of canvas for great artwork on an everlasting format)
guitar sample on a keyboard vs guitar?  play guitar or not play at all.

canned food vs homemade? hmmm home cooking, real good.

fake tatas vs real?...

music as an art should be made once. no countless messy touch ups..
like a painting , adding a spec and simple frame will suffice… unfortunately todays technology has spawned countless of “virtual musicians” even singers get their pitch adjusted in the studio…

caricature artist vs photoshop king?...

two different worlds…

call me old fashioned.

(Milli Vanilly- the perfect discovery)

girl you now its true… UH UH

Signature 

NO USER SERVICABLE PARTS INSIDE

Posted: 14 June 2007 09:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-04

[quote author=“maschinenmusik”]IMO

vst vs analog synth?(TONS you can do live on an actual synth then on vst)
cd vs vinyl?-(vinyl-plenty of canvas for great artwork on an everlasting format)
guitar sample on a keyboard vs guitar?  play guitar or not play at all.

canned food vs homemade? hmmm home cooking, real good.

fake tatas vs real?...

music as an art should be made once. no countless messy touch ups..
like a painting , adding a spec and simple frame will suffice… unfortunately todays technology has spawned countess of “virtual musicians” even singers get their pitch adjusted in the studio…

caricature artist vs photoshop king?...

two different worlds…

call me old fashioned.

(Milli Vanilly- the perfect discovery)

girl you now its true… UH UH

“Los tigres del norte” is pure analogue heaven!
And lets not forget “Pinpinela”

Signature 

Posted: 14 June 2007 09:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-07

ya pege la vuelta. LOL

Signature 

Posted: 14 June 2007 09:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-04
[quote author=“maschinenmusik”]ya pege la vuelta. LOL

minimal synth pioneers!
Aditus!!!!

aditus_group2.jpg

What more analogue than that! cojones!

Signature 

Posted: 14 June 2007 10:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-07

Signature 

Posted: 14 June 2007 03:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-04

http://youtube.com/watch?v=n3TWdwdSMhw

Signature 

Posted: 15 June 2007 05:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-07

now I know you tubes got EVERYTHING….. almost?.

heres a little hit del barrio gallego…. bigger in vzla!

que miedo que miedo!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=B8RKayqSBBo

Signature 

3 of 4

Boss DR-55 manual?      |     you got mail.. ››