Total Posts:  122
Joined  2005-12-27

good call!

Posted: 06 April 2010 06:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  214
Joined  2005-12-17

I had an 09 in about 1990 that I got for $50.  I sold it a year later for $50 and have regretted it ever since.  Even though this one was significantly more I think its worth it.

Posted: 06 April 2010 01:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  122
Joined  2005-12-27

owwww

Posted: 26 April 2010 08:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  58
Joined  2005-12-21

id suggest an oberheim SEM reissue over any DSI product if you want “true” analog signal.  the DSI sounds over-engineered to me, too shiny.  its very flexible, but doesn’t knock me out with any particular sound (like FM on the pro-one is just KILLER) - but if you are low on gear and want to reach a whole wide palette of sounds the mopho can definitely get there with some programming.  ...ill probably still end up with one second hand in a few years ^_^

Posted: 11 May 2010 11:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
Administrator
RankRank
Total Posts:  35
Joined  2010-02-01
[quote author=“seth”]id suggest an oberheim SEM reissue over any DSI product if you want “true” analog signal.  the DSI sounds over-engineered to me, too shiny.  its very flexible, but doesn’t knock me out with any particular sound (like FM on the pro-one is just KILLER) - but if you are low on gear and want to reach a whole wide palette of sounds the mopho can definitely get there with some programming.  ...ill probably still end up with one second hand in a few years ^_^

@seth:
What if I wanted to get a new analog keyboard? Which would you recommend if not DSI?

Posted: 18 July 2010 05:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  56
Joined  2005-12-05

i bought a Tetra for my live show (4 voice Mopho)... didn’t have big expectations for the sound, just wanted something analog decent sounding to cover some of my synth lines…

i’ve got to say i am very pleasantly surprised by the sound, and i’m quite a vintage analog synth snob. sound-wise, i owned and sold DSI Evolver (yuck), Moog Phatty, and even the Voyager, largely because the sound just wasn’t right to my ears, too VA sounding. actually the Voyager did some stuff great but didn’t cut it for a lot of sounds - meanwhile i don’t have this problem with the Tetra - it manages to cover all bases to my ears. it takes some work to get great sounds but it’s the only new analog i’ve used so far that i can see myself using a lot in my recordings.  all of the synth nerds who asked me about the Tetra at my shows were totally sold on it based on the sounds in my live set.

totally agree about the design on the Mopho… it looks awful in general, but the logo in particular is horrendous - could they have made it any worse?

Posted: 04 January 2012 02:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  214
Joined  2005-12-17

So I got a Mopho module off of ebay for a fairly reasonable price and really like it.  Its a pain to edit from the unit itself but there is a PC editor for it that makes programming pretty easy. So far I like it for what it is. Its not replacing anything in my kit but it is a nice addition.

2 of 2