Ohama
E Iko 83
Psyche
Rational Youth
Class Info
Kinetic Ideals
Breeding Ground

and many more…..........

stll not a list i’m massively impressed with, basically the groups that earn canada’s position in my list :D

Australia-

Systematics
Makers of the Dead Travel Fast
Early Severed Heads
Mindless Delta Children
Ungrateful Children
Nervous System
No Actresses
Est
Metronomes

and many more…...........

most of them not really my cup of tea, mindless delta children & ungrateful children are definately good stuff though.
the aussie stuff i like is mostly related to E-pop: informatics, second glance, dance synthesis, boptronics, modern jazz, donno detti etc.

Signature 

Delicious toes are swimming in my soup

Posted: 27 October 2009 08:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  170
Joined  2005-12-10

“most of them not really my cup of tea”

Spartak,

O.K., but everyone knows who has “Authority on Taste” :wink: 

Especially now since you just championed Second Glance and Modern Jazz against No Actresses, Est, and Mindless Delta Children.

Anyway, I won’t get into it, but you can add Artiifical Organs, and Rhoborhythmaticons and that puts Australia way up at the top of the list.

And you don’t like Ceramic Hello, Rational Youth, or Iko 83?!

What kind of minimal synth fan are you?

obscure

Posted: 28 October 2009 07:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  727
Joined  2005-12-05

[quote author=“obscure”]“most of them not really my cup of tea”

Spartak,

O.K., but everyone knows who has “Authority on Taste” :wink: 

Especially now since you just championed Second Glance and Modern Jazz against No Actresses, Est, and Mindless Delta Children.

And you don’t like Ceramic Hello, Rational Youth, or Iko 83?!

What kind of minimal synth fan are you?

obscure

I know this has been asked before by me and others, but really do you have reading apprehension difficulties? Just say so and i’ll take it into account when i try to communicate with you.
i actually mentioned Mindless Delta Children. Not familiar with no actresses and Est but the fact that i used “most” probably escaped you too. M square bands, Severed Heads were what i was referring to. Modern jazz did a few nice songs and a lot of crap but i’m sure you dont really care as you just want to make the very same point you always try to bring over. We know, everybody has bad taste and doesnt understand the true essence of minimal outside one very obscure person.

And did you notice what i wrote about ceramic hello? i guess you dont know what seminal means?  LOL

I was trying to be constructive in my approach to you, trying to get a more positive vibe across on this forum, but screw that. Autistic Synth FTW!

Signature 

Delicious toes are swimming in my soup

Posted: 28 October 2009 11:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  840
Joined  2006-03-03

[quote author=“obscure”]And if you want to laugh, here is an opportunity to, because I just made a joke.

obscure

lol

Posted: 28 October 2009 11:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-03

Spartak -

I didn’t notice in all the rather lengthy posts but Dagcenterpöbeln are Swedish.

If it’s got ä and ö in it, it’s Swedish, DK and Norway use æ and ø for the same vowels. Danish has a lot of soft consonants where S and N have hard, and S have a lot of a-endings where DK has e-endings.

-Well it fascinates ME!

My list…

I suppose UK on top..  I guess I agree with you on Australia, more or less, I like Infor- and syste- matics, but there did get released a lot of gunk on M Squared. Sweden is high on my list, both because I know a lot of items from there and also because some of the bands were completely UK-influenced - Vince Clarke was a person in the UK, but a whole genre in Sweden wink

I know a lot of stuff I like from Germany, France too. Belgium has an interesting new wave scene but it’s more often than not too guitary for me… The Netherlands, I know maybe around two songs from there I like? grin Denmark? Grimey goths grin -Oh, Canada is high on my list. Even if “Educated Man” was the only record out of there it’d be a good place just for that, plus IKO, Rational yoof, pop stuff like Men Without Hats, and the inimitable Monty Cantsin, I adore his first EP. US? What do I even know from there? Doug Brenner and Art Interface?

But I dont actively keep track of where bands are from, like I said about the Swiss stuff - I like a lot of swiss music but didn’t realise it was swiss.

Maybe some Eastern european country? Czxshech repp.

-ø-

Posted: 28 October 2009 11:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  184
Joined  2007-02-03

[quote author=“reactorlgtn”]US? What do I even know from there? Doug Brenner and Art Interface?

mmm… Crash Course In Science, Dark Day, Experimental Products.. don’t these names ring a bell ? wink

Posted: 28 October 2009 05:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  170
Joined  2005-12-10

” Not familiar with no actresses and Est “

Spartak,

I thought you knew the Norwegians?  Aren’t they teaching you anything.  I know you are still in minimal synth 101, but you need to ask questions if you are going to get an education.  I have a minimal synth PHD, and you can rest assured that Australia, and Canada are at the top. 
I know one with a dutch architecture salary cannot afford a Terse comp., so check out the Ignatius Jones 12” from Australia for starters.  And how about the Salute 7” from Canada.  No that’s to obscure.  You’ll never get that.  Anyway,  I am trying to set an example so one day you can overcome your naivete, and become a real minimal synth collector.  I appreciate your positive attitude in the recent past, and don’t get discouraged if there are a few stumbling blocks along the way such as not knowing to not buy reissues, or sleeveless records. 

One day with a lot of hard work and effort you will be a real minimal synth collector who will laugh at your Stranger Station LP days.

Oy- Nor Mother F___________G Way- Stein,

Images and Vogue 1st 12” agreed.  Canada’s right behind the U.S.

I am an educated man with a Bachelors in Paradise 7” :wink:

obscure

Posted: 28 October 2009 09:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  89
Joined  2000-11-09

@Obscure,

A top Minimal Synth collector with a hotmail address and a myspace website.
Not really impressive as it comes to your claimed status is it ?

Ton

Posted: 29 October 2009 02:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-03

[quote author=“deutschmark”] mmm… Crash Course In Science, Dark Day, Experimental Products.. don’t these names ring a bell ? wink

Hehe, I just KNEW I should have browsed around my collection a bit before posting… Of course, some of my absolute favourite music was recorded by the names you mention, but did I remember them as examples of American bands? Naah grin

I think the original question in this thread would reward introspection. Maybe I should check my collection, and see which countries I could make a good top 20 from… If you judge every country by their 20th best record, maybe it’d be more interesting than comparing Snowy Red with Exprods (again)? Let’s see.

MOre than anything, though, I’m saddened by my own lack of knowledge. Take Italy - I don’t even know half the bands on the Danza Meccanica comp… I should spend more time memorizing catalogs and wants lists I suppose grin

Posted: 29 October 2009 02:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  560
Joined  2006-03-18

Re: The top ten minimal synth countries.

[quote author=“obscure”]Based on Quality and Quantity

To me the U.K. is beyond #1

I would say the U.S. is #2

Canada/Australia tie for #3

Germany is #4

Belgium #5

France #6

Netherlands #7

Sweden #8

Italy #9

Switzerland #10

That’s what I think.

What do you think?

obscure

Could you be elaborate a bit on your personal top ten. There really isn’t much point in discussing one’s personal top ten without some explanation to justify the ranking.
And what to do with bands that move from one country to the other. Tuxedo Moon moved from the US to Europe, Belgium if I remember correctly. And what about bands that have members from different countries?
What you actually saying is: “I like Swedish painters best and Dutch painters are rubbish”. Why? Well, one is on the right side of the border and the other one isn’t. Art doesn’t stop at national boundaries.

Signature 

Brian Eno sank my battleship

Posted: 29 October 2009 04:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  501
Joined  2007-02-21

@ Air Crash

Well as I already pointed out in the other thread, it is always possible that a potentially interesting thread gets started for the wrong reasons.

The idea of this one was not for people to seriously discuss, but for obscure to tell them that they are wrong, as he has “authority of taste”. And who in their right mind could possibly have the slightest doubt there?  8)

And the other thread had the ulterior motive to find him potential sources for the next Great Seeing Red Swindle and to also declare himself Nr. 1 US collector while he was at it.

But hey, enough of stating the über-obvious…..

Posted: 30 October 2009 02:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]  
Administrator
RankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2006-06-21

Hi Falck

What is “Great Seeing Red Swindle ” ?

You mentioned it elsewhere but I do not know what his refers to.

MN

Posted: 30 October 2009 03:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  501
Joined  2007-02-21

I’ll best explain to you in a PM (if that works again, that is), it’s a very long story and all the regulars know it….

Posted: 10 November 2009 09:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  149
Joined  2009-01-04

ITALO disco

Signature 

AVANT!
http://avantdistro.blogspot.com/

Posted: 10 November 2009 11:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-03

Actually,
I think the Danza Meccanica compilation sees Italy jump a couple of places upwards on the list 8O

Italo… is Italo.  :wink:

2 of 2