1 of 2
keyboard advice
Posted: 26 August 2009 10:24 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2009-02-04

Hi guys,

I’m taking keyboard lessons and are looking for a decent keyboard.

It should have the old sound, but I prefer a new(er) type.

Who can advice me?

Posted: 27 August 2009 11:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  495
Joined  2006-02-03

start with that one all people SHOULD start with… but if you do not know what I mean then you are not the right person for it… some people here will know what I mean…

Posted: 27 August 2009 11:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  128
Joined  2009-01-03
[quote author=“M”]start with that one all people SHOULD start with… but if you do not know what I mean then you are not the right person for it… some people here will know what I mean…

A typewriter?

Signature 

Welcome To The Sheep Pen

New Mailorder here to stay.

[url=http://www.wool-e-shop.be]http://www.wool-e-shop.be[/url]
<strong><strong>

Posted: 28 August 2009 01:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-03

that one is even better as the one I had in mind!

Posted: 28 August 2009 11:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  840
Joined  2006-03-03

Ha,

a guy at my 1994 workplace dismissed my tastes in music as “Kraftwerk and other German typewriter music”. Yup. I’m into that. grin

Posted: 28 August 2009 08:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  451
Joined  2005-12-04

what do you need lessons for ? actually when i started making some music, i got a nice Ovation acoustic guitar and also took lessons at a local hard rock guy, how useless…. with the synthesiser it is even more easy to play without knowing how to play, at least for a starter. but for greater composing (like playing amazing solos), you anyway need a lot of time ..... (or simply use software sequencers). i suggest to start right away with a more or less cheap synth/drum machine (for example the Korg Poly-61 that you once asked me for plus a Boss DR-110 - you can trig the arpeggiator) and see if you can do anything with at all or not. mkaybe you find out it is not all your thing and if you see it works well, then extend the gear according to your needs.

Signature 

STOP THE ABUSE OF ANIMALS!

Ⓥ Marc Ⓥ
for
http://annaloguerecords.blogspot.com
http://www.annaloguerecords.com
http://soundcloud.com/annaloguerecords
http://soundcloud.com/attractiveco
http://www.hundegnadenhof-zemitz.de

Posted: 28 August 2009 10:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-03

ah… I wanted to write this before but thought some people would get angry… but for most music we talk abnout here you do need music lessons smile

Just to be on the safe side… this does NOT mean the music cannot be great… I think even that most excellent music was done by “amateurs” and the genius musicians did not became this by taken lessons…

Posted: 29 August 2009 07:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  89
Joined  2000-11-09
[quote author=“M”] I think even that most excellent music was done by “amateurs” and the genius musicians did not became this by taken lessons…

Or as Roger Waters once put it:
“We (Pink Floyd) couldn’t play. If you can’t play anything you cannot imitate other people’s music either” (or words of simular meaning)

And I agree.

Ton

Posted: 30 August 2009 12:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-03

talking about genius… and indeed I was also thinking about Pink Floyd when writing my previous post… I remember a documentary about them and they explained how they came up with some sounds… just mistakes and experiments as they were high on acid…

Posted: 30 August 2009 02:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  840
Joined  2006-03-03

Karl Bartos was asked what’s his favourite synthesizer. -It doesn’t matter. You give me any keyboard, and I play Elektric Music.

Diff’urnt strokes for diff’urnt fokes, innit?

Posted: 30 August 2009 04:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  89
Joined  2000-11-09

[quote author=“M”]talking about genius… and indeed I was also thinking about Pink Floyd when writing my previous post…

Sure, I hope we are not being butchered for coming up with such a “popular” band as an example :oops: Gotta be careful in this forum with your reputation 8)

Posted: 01 September 2009 11:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Joined  2009-02-04

@ AnnaLogue

The gear you mention is vintage. I’m looking for a new synth (with the old sound/tricks) Just some suggestions for orientation. I’m 100% new to this.

@ M

Stop making an ass of yourself.

Posted: 01 September 2009 01:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  122
Joined  2005-12-27

if you REALLY want a new synth, you could get an alesis micron or microkorg, which are very cheap, fairly powerful (at least compared to most vintage analogs), and…err…i suppose passable in the sound department. they have midi, if that’s what you’re looking for, and have solid builds. also novation bass station has CV/gate, if i recall? so that could be useful as well, particularly if you would like to get a nice vintage drum machine like a dr55/dr110, tr606, etc… there’s also the DSI mopho which looks like it might be kind of cool, and also can be triggered by vintage drum machines (but lacks a keyboard).
...although i think annalogue’s poly61 + dr110 suggestion would be better start,!

Posted: 01 September 2009 07:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  246
Joined  2006-08-28

a Yamaha AN1X would be good choice too, you can find them secondhand for really cheap.
Imho one of the best “virtual analogue” synths.

Soundwise, it won’t fully replace a true vintage analoge synth though.

Posted: 01 September 2009 10:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  100
Joined  2005-12-25
[quote author=“teachu2die”]if you REALLY want a new synth, you could get an alesis micron or microkorg, which are very cheap, fairly powerful (at least compared to most vintage analogs), and…err…i suppose passable in the sound department.

2nd vote for the micron!  Peter played one with me last week and nobody complained :-D The sound is pretty good and they can do all sorts of nice syncronized modulations and arpeggios/patterns.  I didn’t have time to fully explore it, but it was fairly intuitive and sounded especially good on low resonance patches.  One could do a lot in this style of music with a micron and, say, a jomox drum machine.  Add a vintage monosynth to round things out and you’ve got a programmable but still interactive live rig that will fit in a suitcase.

Signature 

b l e a k

Posted: 03 September 2009 07:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Joined  2009-02-04

Thanks for the feedback people!

This will help me orientate at the dealer.

1 of 2