1 of 3
Collecting Standards
Posted: 19 July 2009 07:39 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  170
Joined  2005-12-10

Here is a thread to post what your collecting standards are.

Here are mine.

I collect:

LPs, 12"s, 10"s, 7"s, cassettes, or compact discs that are original issues.

I don’t collect:

LPs, 12"s, 10"s, 7"s, cassettes, or compact discs that are reissued, remastered, or remixed.
Bootlegs
MP3s

obscure

Posted: 20 July 2009 09:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  560
Joined  2006-03-18

Hmm, OK, what about reissues with extra/bonus tracks that weren’t released before, but which are just as good as the tracks that did get released?

Signature 

Brian Eno sank my battleship

Posted: 20 July 2009 10:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  89
Joined  2000-11-09

[quote author=“AirCrashBureau”]Hmm, OK, what about reissues with extra/bonus tracks that weren’t released before, but which are just as good as the tracks that did get released?

He’s talking about things he wants to COLLECT.
That has nothing to do with the MUSIC.
He’s a COLLECTOR, NOT a MUSIC LOVER.
That’s not so difficult to understand, is it ?

Ton

Posted: 20 July 2009 02:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-10

Ton,

I am a MUSIC LOVER, and a COLLECTOR.  Subsequently I collect music that I love.  My love of music is the driving force for my collecting.  I wouldn’t buy anything that I didn’t care about, or collect anything that I didn’t care about.  Especially to the amount of time, money, and effort I put into collecting music. 

AirCrashBureau,

I don’t want reissues with unreleased bonus tracks that weren’t released before.  If I did I would be on soul seek.  You may think that I miss out on a lot of great music because of that, but I’m sure I could spend the next 50 years collecting solely original records.  And I could argue that you miss out on a lot of great music because you buy reissues, and not unknown orginal records.  Either way it is a matter of choice, and that is my choice.  I would say I am a purist collector, and that’s all. 

obscure

Posted: 21 July 2009 04:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2000-11-09

[quote author=“obscure”]
I don’t want reissues with unreleased bonus tracks that weren’t released before.  If I did I would be on soul seek

If you’re a music lover, why don’t you give the artists some credit and joy buying the re-issues ? That’s even more valid if the re-issue contains never released tracks. Spending large amounts of money on collectors items doesn’t benefit the artists at all. [quote author=“obscure”] I would say I am a purist collector, and that’s all.

I’m afraid this is exactly as I said before !
Ton

Posted: 21 July 2009 05:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  128
Joined  2009-01-03

I collect things I like…... or doesn’t that count here?

Signature 

Welcome To The Sheep Pen

New Mailorder here to stay.

[url=http://www.wool-e-shop.be]http://www.wool-e-shop.be[/url]
<strong><strong>

Posted: 21 July 2009 05:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  330
Joined  2005-12-14
[quote author=“Wool-E_Sheep”]I collect things I like…... or doesn’t that count here?

Do you have the 7” of Transparent Illusion ? No ? Stay out of this topic ! :D

Posted: 21 July 2009 05:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  128
Joined  2009-01-03
[quote author=“minicold”][quote author=“Wool-E_Sheep”]I collect things I like…... or doesn’t that count here?

Do you have the 7” of Transparent Illusion ? No ? Stay out of this topic ! :D

pfff most of the things I like are transparent and illusions rolleyes

Signature 

Welcome To The Sheep Pen

New Mailorder here to stay.

[url=http://www.wool-e-shop.be]http://www.wool-e-shop.be[/url]
<strong><strong>

Posted: 21 July 2009 06:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  495
Joined  2006-02-03

I collect Pet Shop Boys records… am I still allowed here? smile

(serious: I love the Pet Shop Boys… some of the best pop music ever made!)

Posted: 21 July 2009 07:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  727
Joined  2005-12-05

I collect used panties. No new ones i’m a purist fetishist authentic panty lover.

There is this very rare transparent one. Some think it’s an illusion but i know better. It’s real.

I have it.

Signature 

Delicious toes are swimming in my soup

Posted: 21 July 2009 10:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-18

[quote author=“Ton”][quote author=“AirCrashBureau”]Hmm, OK, what about reissues with extra/bonus tracks that weren’t released before, but which are just as good as the tracks that did get released?

He’s talking about things he wants to COLLECT.
That has nothing to do with the MUSIC.
He’s a COLLECTOR, NOT a MUSIC LOVER.
That’s not so difficult to understand, is it ?

Ton

You don’t have to use capitals Ton. Of course I understand he is a collector. I am not a moron. Anyway.  :?:
We all, well most of us here, are collectors. I wanted to get a better insight in his reasons for just collecting “originals”, because it either is a way to put limits on what is to be collected because you can’t have them all, or a way to suggest that one is an “Uber collector”. Reading the answer I’d say the latter.
Of course he realises that he might be missing out on some great music that come along with along with reissues in the form of bonustracks, but because of his “standards”, he has to resort to slsk, thus denying the original artist revenue and acknowledgement for his blood, sweat and tears. He’d rather buy a smudged, overplayed and scratched copy of the original Störung album, because it’s an “original”, then an unplayed mint reissue for at least half its price.  :wink:

Signature 

Posted: 21 July 2009 10:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-18

[quote author=“M”]I collect Pet Shop Boys records… am I still allowed here? smile

(serious: I love the Pet Shop Boys… some of the best pop music ever made!)

Of course you are.  smile 

“some of the best pop music ever made”.

Indeed, agreed.

Signature 

Posted: 21 July 2009 11:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2000-11-09

[quote author=“Spartak”]I collect used panties. No new ones i’m a purist fetishist authentic panty lover.

There is this very rare transparent one. Some think it’s an illusion but i know better. It’s real.

I have it.

Ease down Kris, don’t worry. We all believe you. We know. It’s no illusion !

Ton

Posted: 21 July 2009 10:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  840
Joined  2006-03-03

[quote author=“Spartak”]

I have it.

Confound you Spartak,

give that back!!!

Posted: 21 July 2009 11:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  501
Joined  2007-02-21

Reading all this recent obscure nonsense, one might even get the idea that just being a collector would already mean something.  8)

The naked truth however is that although a lot of effort and money goes into, just owning a collection in itself means jack shit.

There is no artistic or creative element in owning a music collection, and if the collector simply goes by what others deem collectable, then they can’t even be accused of having a proper taste of their own.

It is only when a filter gets applied reflecting the collector’s personality combined with a talent for judging music - and they thus start to qualify as a “critic” - that they rise to a position that can win them well deserved respect with others.

However, to qualify as a critic, you don’t even need to own a single mp3.

Posted: 22 July 2009 03:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-10

Ton,

“If you’re a music lover, why don’t you give the artists some credit and joy buying the re-issues ?”

I would rather buy the original issues, because that is what I am into.  The reason I am into the original records is because of the diy/garage/amatuer/unprofessional aesthetic of both the ability of the musicians,  the sound quality of the records, and the graphic designs of the sleeves, and the sleeves themselves.

The last thing I am interested in doing is promoting an artist to do the exact opposite of what I like about their old records.  The exact opposite being for them to commercialize their old music through

professionally remastering the tracks-
professional glossy record covers.-
with faux rarity-

If I wanted to listen to polished music in polished covers I would be listening to top 40 radio, not diy, amatuer music, made by young people on 30 year old antiquated keyboards.

I don’t think most the artists understand what makes their old records so great, and what makes the music on them so great.  I say that because the majority of the time when they find out people like their old records, and they decide to reform to do shows or whatever they sound completely terrible with no resemblance to anything that made their music great.

In response to.

“That’s even more valid if the re-issue contains never released tracks.”

Yes, I would want these unreleased tracks if they weren’t ruined by being remastered.  I would much rather contact the artist directly, and have them make a cassette copy of the original recordings which I often do. 

Aircrashbureau,

I don’t think I am an “uber collector”.  That is your projection.  I just want the music that I love in the format that I love, and I have my reasons which I have explained above.  I don’t use soul seek to download music and I never have.  I also don’t think any minimal synth artists are making enough money to pay for one months rent from their share of any reissues profits.
And that has nothing to do with me buying their reissues or not.

Falck,

The truth is anyone who calls what another person believes nonsense is a weak person that is scared of ideas that are not the same as theirs.  Most likely because they feel threatened by them, and they lack the equivalent knowledge or intelligence to understand opposing views that aren’t their own.

You think owning a collection means nothing.  Then why do you collect?

Music can mean life and death to people.  Do you think that has any meaning?  Or is life and death jack shit as you so intelligently put it.  Making music, hearing music, and seeing music can change the world through politics, beliefs, and ideas.  Do those things mean anything to you?  Or are they jack shit too?

Everything about owning a music collection is artistic, and creative :!:  The ways in which the music is discovered, or purchased is creative, the ways in which the music is played, and played for others is creative, and the ways in which the music is organized, or catalogued is creative.

No collector should go by what others deem collectible, but a lot of times you know they do.  Why do you think the Short Wave Mystery record goes for so much, or the Iron Curtain, and Class Info records use to go for tons?
Based on collectors trying to out do each other on ebay based on what others are deeming to be collectible.  Everyone should buy what they think is good.  I don’t want the Short Wave Mystery record, because I think it is bad, so I guess my tastes aren’t based on collectibilitiy if that was what you we’re alluding to.  And in regards to Oystein liking the Transparent Illusion 7”.  He likes the 7”.  I know because he spent $500 on the LP which has the same songs.  I was not telling him to like it, because I know he does. 

I would say I am a very good critic of minimal synth, and I know more than most.  When I heard the Seeing Red record I heard a $600 to $800 record, and when it went up on ebay thats what it was.  And you telling me that is was no better than a mobiles 7” made me laugh, and instantly not trust any of your judgment after that regarding any minimal synth records.  How many $200 + dollar records have you sold falck?  and how many people have bought them based on your judgment?  Can you tell me? 

obscure

1 of 3

The Dugites ?      |     Another bootleg... ››