2 of 4
Essential EBM starting in 1986
Posted: 01 May 2009 11:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  560
Joined  2006-03-18

Did I forget to mention Pankow? Yes, I did. Shame on me, they made some very nice records. So:

Pankow

Signature 

Brian Eno sank my battleship

Posted: 01 May 2009 11:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-18

Falck wrote: “P.S. You are aware of the Krishna Goineau connection between Liasons D. and Velodrome? Still I don’t quite manage to call any of the two “EBM”... “

I don’t, but these NDW acts were very influential. NizzEbb started out as a DAF clone.

Signature 

Posted: 01 May 2009 12:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  209
Joined  2006-10-10

Theres a ton of great obscure EBM stuff I still spin pretty often - though Monsieurs Chevrolet and Cerrone are definitely the authorities on this world in my opinion.  A few German classics are Lost Image’s ‘Electrocution’ LP(1991), ‘Aron’s Rod’ by La Morte la Maison(1990), and Body 11’s ‘4 Track EP’.  Also of note are Code Industry’s debut LP ‘Method of Assembly’ on Antler(1988), any Die Form after ‘88, Data-Bank-A ‘87 and after, Gruesome Twosome’s debut EP, the first Chemlab LP ‘Burn Out at the Hydrogen Bar’ on Fifth Column from NYC, White House White, Pailhead, Intimate Obsessions ‘Erebus to Hades’ EP on Third Mind(1985), any Force Dimension, Block 57, Distorted Pony and Death Method(especially their amazing ‘Mentally Transmitted Disease’ K7 from 1992) from Los Angeles, Testicular Momentum and Apocalypse Theatre’s debut K7s from DC circa ‘90-92, Electric Hellfire Club’s first K7 and debut LP ‘Burn Baby Burn’...etc. etc.

Also a few slightly more crossed over classics I always see as pretty much straight up EBM are World Domination Enterprises ‘Let’s Play Domination’ LP, any early Gary Clail projects before ‘89, particularly the 1st 3 Tackhead 12"s, and a few early Begin Says trax, all which flirted more w dub.

Hands down though my all time fave noone ever discusses thats more EBM than anything KK, Wax Trax or any of the obvious ever produced is Little Nemo’s ‘City Lights’ EP after Olivier traded in his guitar for a digital synth and a few sheets of acid…still gets the dancefloor rockin, a killer track minus all the vacuous obvious Belgian and German FX-overencrusted fratboy vox wink

Posted: 01 May 2009 09:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  727
Joined  2005-12-05

flu_masks_1918_19.jpg

Signature 

Delicious toes are swimming in my soup

Posted: 01 May 2009 10:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  128
Joined  2009-01-03

LOL LOL  LOL  LOL

[quote author=“EliasRafael”]
Among the less known check out White House White, Schicksal, and that’s it for me (Poesie Noire is not EBM for me)

Early White House White and Schicksal were minimal, while their later output treaded on the thin line between New Beat and EBM.

Poesie Noire definitely had an EBM period, things like Timber or Kompjtr Syntax Error are core EBM.

Good new EBM-bands are hard to find but I’d like to break a lance for Darkmen ( http://www.myspace.com/darkmenebm ) and not only because I sell their EP and a full CD is coming up soon :D

Signature 

Welcome To The Sheep Pen

New Mailorder here to stay.

[url=http://www.wool-e-shop.be]http://www.wool-e-shop.be[/url]
<strong><strong>

Posted: 01 May 2009 11:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  346
Joined  2008-12-12

Front 242 has his importance of course,but is not the only first band.
I think that the origins came before from Throbbing Gristle(“Hot On The Heels of Love’‘),Cabaret Voltaire(“Listen Up with Cabaret Voltaire”,a big influence for Front 242 on"Principles/Body to Body and the rest.)
Daf was a Post-Punk/Krautrock band before Alles Ist Gut.

Posted: 01 May 2009 11:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  501
Joined  2007-02-21

[quote author=“Soldatenkino”]Front 242 has his importance of course,but is not the only first band.

Agreed, and I only said it was them who came up with the term Electronic Body Music. It’s a bit like “minimal synth”, it was there long before the term (like already discussed lenghtily on this forum some time ago). It’s rather rare indeed a band invents a new genre without being influenced by anybody. :wink:

Posted: 01 May 2009 11:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  184
Joined  2007-02-03

I was heavily into classic ebm in the 90s.. Kk, Zoth Ommog, etc. Oh man I guess I knew every shitty ebm band around the globe. smile Though most of the stuff I dug at the time sounds pretty boring to me today there are a few masterpieces that still touch me.. No need to mention obvious classics and speaking of the obscure side of things, is anybody aware of a cool band from Germany called PP? (Permanent Perfect?) and their album Itum Allenro ?

Posted: 01 May 2009 11:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  128
Joined  2009-01-03

[quote author=“Soldatenkino”]Front 242 has his importance of course,but is not the only first band.
I think that the origins came before from Throbbing Gristle(“Hot On The Heels of Love’‘),Cabaret Voltaire(“Listen Up with Cabaret Voltaire”,a big influence for Front 242 on"Principles/Body to Body and the rest.)
Daf was a Post-Punk/Krautrock band before Alles Ist Gut.

Front IS the first EBM band since they coined the term wink
Ofcourse there where influences from other bands before them, but those aren’t EBM.
DAF were a huge influence on Nitzer Ebb, but that doesn’t make DAf an EBM band.
Suicide were a huge influence on Neon Judgement, but that doesn’t make Suicide an EBM band, etc…..
Absolute Body Control were influenced by both DAf (hence the name wink ) and Suicide without being an EBM band. They only became EBM when they became The Klinik and even then only in a later stadium. Since early Klinik isn’t EBM at all, it’s synthpop or industrial or experimental ambient, but not EBM.

EBM only kicked in good with the “Electronic Body Music” sampler on PIAS and with the rise of New Beat. New Beat went a commercial death, EBM were here to stay.

Signature 

Welcome To The Sheep Pen

New Mailorder here to stay.

[url=http://www.wool-e-shop.be]http://www.wool-e-shop.be[/url]
<strong><strong>

Posted: 02 May 2009 05:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  122
Joined  2005-12-27

@ spartak:
ha! 20 cases of ebm-fluenza broke out today tongue laugh

i don’t think it’s at all a stretch to categorize daf, abc, liaisons dangereuses, etc, as proto-ebm.
while i can tolerate (and sometimes even enjoy) a moderate chunk of the 80’s ebm stuff, most 90’s material i find pretty abhorrent. is there any mid-late 90’s ebm material that isn’t utterly deserving of its place in the refuse heap?
i’ve managed to extract some small pleasure from some late 90’s/early 00’s ebm-techno stuff in the past, like thomas heckmann, terence fixmer, etc… not exactly stuff that overwhelms me with joy, but i think it’s certainly more in the spirit of first-wave ebm than the stuff that masquerades under said moniker these days.

Posted: 02 May 2009 08:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-18

[quote author=“teachu2die”]

i don’t think it’s at all a stretch to categorize daf, abc, liaisons dangereuses, etc, as proto-ebm.
while i can tolerate (and sometimes even enjoy) a moderate chunk of the 80’s ebm stuff, most 90’s material i find pretty abhorrent. (...) the stuff that masquerades under said moniker these days.

Spot on! These days most bands that define their music as EBM usually serve you bad trance with cookie monster vocals. :cry:

Signature 

Posted: 02 May 2009 09:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  330
Joined  2005-12-14

In addition to all what was said about Belgian stuff; buy the mlp “Music From Belgium” : Typis Belgis, E:Truncheon, ABC, Vomito Negro and Insekt serve you really nice tunes.  Also the lp “Limited Entertainment” is really good.  And forget about all that 90’s or 00’s stuff : boring as hell.

Posted: 02 May 2009 09:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-27

@ aircrashbureau-
yup! i’m still unclear how putting some distortion on vocals is supposed to transform bad commercial trance into something cutting edge and underground!

Posted: 02 May 2009 10:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2009-05-01

Click Click and Front 242 were always my favorites in the genre, followed closely by The Cassandra Complex.

Posted: 03 May 2009 12:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-27

click click are very good, indeed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnV-akqKqg4&feature=channel smile i actually just pulled out ‘rorschach testing’ a few weeks ago…
i have one cassandra complex lp that i liked a lot….w/ a purple blue cover, some very uptempo aggressive tracks on it…

2 of 4