1 of 1
Record Stores in NYC
Posted: 23 May 2009 05:49 AM   [ Ignore ]  
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2009-01-02

Not sure if this is the right place for this post, but…

I’ll be in NYC in a few weeks and I was wondering if there were any stores that are not to be missed. Anyone?

Posted: 23 May 2009 06:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  122
Joined  2005-12-27

this seems like a fine place for the post.
welcome fastfashion smile

here are a few store suggestions in nyc:

the thing - junk store in greenpoint, brooklyn filled with at least, i dunno, 100,000-200,000 records. everything is 2 dollars (and usually less if you buy in bulk). it’s fairly picked over but you can find amazing gems there if you’re dedicated and/or lucky (i’ve found things like east wall ‘eyes of glass’ and the facteurs d’ambience ‘essai’ compilation, for instance). it’s on manhattan and huron.
academy annex is great for new synth/wave releases and reissues, and has a decent used section. it’s on n6th and berry in williamsburg.
a1 is great for house, techno, disco, etc, but you can also find good wave, ebm, and postpunk records there. that’s on 6th between first and ave A in manhattan. also just a few blocks away is gimme gimme records, which has a large new wave and postpunk selection - that’s on 5th between 2nd and 3rd.
other music and kims underground can be alright. etherea on ave A and 4th or something like that….an ok store called ‘good records’ right around the corner from there on 3rd between a&b i think….
that should be enough for a start - good luck digging! smile

EDIT: and don’t forget dope jams, on myrtle ave and classon in clinton hill.
not going to be too great for wave or synth stuff, but easily one of the best record stores around. great atmosphere, super nice people, and by far the most interesting selection of new house and techno in ny.

Posted: 23 May 2009 07:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Joined  2009-01-02

Ah, quite a few suggestions. Thanks.

By the way, I know you from slsk (enjoythemode), cheers!

Posted: 23 May 2009 09:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2007-05-06

You know me, too. Where have you been (on slsk) by the way?

Posted: 23 May 2009 09:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-27

yes i thought that was you when i saw your post about 3 miles from here. cheers! glad to see you on the forums smile smile

Posted: 23 May 2009 10:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Joined  2009-01-02
[quote author=“soviet”]You know me, too. Where have you been (on slsk) by the way?

Hey smile

I’ve been really busy/not home much. Also my apartment was broken into, and they stole my laptop and my external drive (!!!!!!)...

However, I was smart enough to back up my music collection on another drive, which I still have… In any case, I should be back on a lot more very soon. Hope you’re well!

p.s. anyone have a 1TB external HD they want to let go? =(

Posted: 23 May 2009 10:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Joined  2009-01-02
[quote author=“teachu2die”]yes i thought that was you when i saw your post about 3 miles from here. cheers! glad to see you on the forums smile smile

Haha, yes that’s a calling card of mine—love that 7inch!

..and thanks, happy to be here. Hopefully I’ll stick around. I’m sure we can get some good discussions going smile

Posted: 23 May 2009 10:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2007-05-06

That’s absolutely terrible.

I can just imagine the moment when they brought the loot back to their hideout and went through the stuff on your drive and were like, “Ughhh, what is this FAG music? Yuck.”

Guess I’ll see you on soon. Oh, and check newegg for a new drive.

Posted: 23 May 2009 10:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-27

best of luck sorting out your drive dramas! sorry to hear.
drop a message when you’re in ny, for sure.

Posted: 24 June 2009 03:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2009-01-09

just an addendum: kim’s and etherea are both closed now.  not that it matters.  but i did find gelatinous citizen and executive slacks at kim’s when it was still open, surprisingly…

Posted: 25 June 2009 02:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  209
Joined  2006-10-10

wait a minute…you lost your record collection because your computer was stolen and now you are looking for record stores?  guessin maybe yr catholic eh…

My house was robbed twice in 2006 and they stole $14,000 worth of musical, stereo and computer equipment but didnt touch my 5000+ cold black circles…shit is totally worthless to junkies, Opera de Nuit and Twilight Ritual LPs go for maybe $1 at the most on the street corner here in Bushwick, Brooklyn these days noone could care less…the interesting thing is its truly revenge of the vinyl collectors when it comes to thieves…they’re covertly actually ‘downloading the downloads’ like Robbin (in da) Hood - as they only want the ‘hard drive’, pretty genius: ‘gimme that back hipster kids’!  Buy records kiddies, its guaranteed there’s no need for homeowners insurance!  Smacked out robbers don’t use ebay or GEMM…

Guess it kinda therefore makes sense theres no record stores left in New York, literally.  Theres absolutely nothing for frozen coldies here or anywhere in the entire US really dont waste yr time, stick to books they’re still are flourishing as M.Canterel’s kingdom will testify to, we dont have any Bimbo Towers, Watzmanns, Barooni’s etc. as the continent has or once had, even the amazing Vinyl Fetish in LA closed last year etc. to top it all off, and Virgin and Tower are outa business here in NYC as of a few months ago…the big empty Tower and Virgin spaces reek of all the downloads lurking in the icy etherspace.  Spartak man you should really write an architectural treatise on the relationship between abandoned retail record stores and the birth of the internet…creepy.

...anyone have ideas on how to loot ITunes?, I can’t find it on mapquest, its probably in Jersey I figure like everything else on the internet smile

Posted: 25 June 2009 03:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2009-05-20

i’m currently staying in brooklyn for 10 or so more days… sad there’s no good record shopping around here.

i was however pleased to stock up on reissues at academy annex 3 weeks ago.  8)

Posted: 22 October 2012 04:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]  
Administrator
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2006-09-12

Nothing good in brooklyn? I thought the heart of Minimal Wave was located in Brooklyn. :D

Anyway, I logged in to see if I could find any info on vinyl shops in Manhattan. Going there soon and would like a place to dive into when my girlfriend gets stuck at Macy’s. :-o

1 of 1

Food Thread: What are you Eating/Cooking?      |     Slsk ››