3 of 3
Collecting Standards
Posted: 29 July 2009 12:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  89
Joined  2000-11-09

[quote author=“obscure”]Ton,

I have my opinion about reissues, and I don’t think it is arrogant.

It is honest and truthful to my own likes and dislikes which I have already explained.

Perhaps I misunderstood.
I thought you meant you used SoulSeek if you wanted a reissue/bonus tracks.
If it is only “I don’t like re-issues” for whatever reason and not “I only want reissues without crediting (paying) the artist” you’re right.
Then it is completely up to you and I have no critics.

Ton

Posted: 29 July 2009 06:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  246
Joined  2006-08-28

[quote author=“obscure”]
Why is 1992 the cut off date?

The first Company of State 7” is one of the best Belgian minimal synth records.  I have authority on taste :wink: so you should believe me, and get that record.

hm, difficult question…
actually I should have stated 1990, but the early nineties still had some electronic/wave related releases (Dive, Goethes Erben, Das Ich) that I like. Other than that, I associate the nineties with grunge or cheesy techno.

Ok, I’ve heard ‘Discipline’ from Company Of State’s first 7”. I admit it’s not too bad wink
But it’s nowhere as good as the synth/wave überperfection of A Blaze Colour or Snowy Red grin

Posted: 29 July 2009 10:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  840
Joined  2006-03-03

[quote author=“Claudia101”]Ok, I’ve heard ‘Discipline’ from Company Of State’s first 7”. I admit it’s not too bad wink
But it’s nowhere as good as the synth/wave überperfection of A Blaze Colour or Snowy Red grin

Then again, unfortunately, not much is… rolleyes

Posted: 29 July 2009 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  560
Joined  2006-03-18

Dear Obscure,

I am feeling a bit ignored…  :cry:

Signature 

Brian Eno sank my battleship

Posted: 29 July 2009 09:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  170
Joined  2005-12-10

Aircrashbureau,

Here you go :wink:

“The truth is even more sad. Ian had epilepsy and was getting medication for it, but these had some very negative side effects like severe depression. Had the doctors kept a better eye on him and had he been prescribed different drugs, he might be still around, making music that you probably would think of as being substandard like most old farts when they try to make a comeback right?”

I used Ian as a reference just to show Falck that music can have life and death importance to people.  Especially musicians.  Ian wanted to live fast and die young like other musicians that he idolized, and that is what he did.  I think it had a lot less to do with depression, and epilepsy, and more to do with his own agenda.  He knew he didn’t want to live past 25 since he was a young teenager.  Between Joy Divisions frenzied schedule, and the two women in his life he created a tumultuous emotional landscape in which no future could be seen.  And that was good because that is exactly what he wanted both subconciously and honestly.  The whole premise of ian curtis is that he would never be one of those old farts. 

“I’ve never considered my collection as a piece of art. Maybe I should. There is some creativity I guess in the way I shelf a part of my precious items in a large wooden cabin trunk that I fondly refer to as “thee elektro box”. “

You should put “thee elektro box” in a museum in brooklyn, and watch it become the Sunflowers of the 21st century.  It will be worth 100 million at least.  And your dutch too, so you can play it off like your the next van gogh, but instead of cutting off your ear you can stab yourself in the heart with your record needle.  I’m sure you will live as it will probably only penetrate the top layer of your skin by one millimeter :wink:  but if you don’t that’s all the better for generations to come smile  It will ensure that the mystery of whoever created “thee electro box” be eternal. 

obscure

Posted: 30 July 2009 02:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  501
Joined  2007-02-21

[quote author=“obscure”]You suffer from serious inadequecies, and you are trying to compensate somehow by belittling others.

1. Inner knowledge of owning a bad record collection. Maybe the worst in Germany.

I can’t even fathom your inability to understand that just as many people die of depression or depression related issues than in wars, and of starvation.  Art and art appreciation can and does keep people alive. Whether it is music, film, painting, design or whatever. 

Now from all we had to read here in the recent past and as Spartak already pointed out, it doesn’t really look like it is other people who are trying to compensate for something by constantly referring to their record collection.

I know that I have been rather nasty. While our obscure forum member went to quite some length trying to separate between collectors and people who can’t call themselves that, I explained that being a collector in itself means jack shit and that the creation of art is somewhat more worthy of admiration and respect.

As an amusing result, we then learned that collecting can be highly artistic.  8)

And now, we just learned that just as many people die of depression or depression-related issues than are killed in wars and who starve to death, and that those people probably just didn’t get their fair share of art.

Well, of course “Der Mensch lebt nicht vom Brot allein” (the human being does not only feed on bread), but it is oxygene and food that keep us alive. But the further a civilisation develops, the more such “basics” get cast in the background and in the end you get these funny people claiming that not having listened often enough to Transparent Illusion is what really kills other people.

Trying to stick to the theme, well, “is there hope”? There might be, but it will take a lot of time and counselling for our obscure friend to realize that ownership of some pieces of plastic cannot spare him the task of still having to develop a sound and stable personality.

What can I say - good luck!  :wink:

Posted: 03 August 2009 04:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  727
Joined  2005-12-05

COS_sq.jpg

Signature 

Delicious toes are swimming in my soup

Posted: 04 August 2009 01:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  128
Joined  2009-01-03
[quote author=“Spartak”]COS_sq.jpg

Welk tijdschrift is dat?

Signature 

Welcome To The Sheep Pen

New Mailorder here to stay.

[url=http://www.wool-e-shop.be]http://www.wool-e-shop.be[/url]
<strong><strong>

Posted: 04 August 2009 01:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-05

vinyl magazine uit nederland, muziektijdschrift van ‘81 tot ‘86 dat zich richtte op alles van minimal (music) tot synthpop, new wave tot avantgarde electronica .

Naast honderden recensies van alle synth klassiekers die je je kan bedenken, talloze interviews (waaronder front 242, a blaze colour en micky mike uit belgie) en labelspecials (waaronder vanity uit japan) etc. zeker de moeite waard!!

Signature 

Posted: 04 August 2009 07:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-03

[quote author=“Spartak”]vinyl magazine uit nederland, muziektijdschrift van ‘81 tot ‘86 dat zich richtte op alles van minimal (music) tot synthpop, new wave tot avantgarde electronica .

Naast honderden recensies van alle synth klassiekers die je je kan bedenken, talloze interviews (waaronder front 242, a blaze colour en micky mike uit belgie) en labelspecials (waaronder vanity uit japan) etc. zeker de moeite waard!!

Ik heb die (bijna) allemal liggen, ‘t wordt tijd dat ik ze eens lees :oops:

Signature 

Welcome To The Sheep Pen

<strong><strong>

Posted: 04 August 2009 08:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-05

Heb je nr1? die zoek ik nog. als je hem toch niet leest kan je hem net zo goed aan mij verkopen :!:  LOL

Signature 

Posted: 04 August 2009 09:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-03
[quote author=“Spartak”]Heb je nr1? die zoek ik nog. als je hem toch niet leest kan je hem net zo goed aan mij verkopen :!:  LOL

nope :twisted:

Da’s voor mijn oude dag :wink:

And now back to our irregular program in English raspberry

I wonder how many people still know Itza Uchen?

Signature 

Welcome To The Sheep Pen

<strong><strong>

Posted: 04 August 2009 09:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  840
Joined  2006-03-03

>And now back to our irregular program in English

Yes please. :wink:

I’ve got a single by them. Seem to remember the b-side being rather fine, but I don’t remember the songs right now? Don’t even remember how this came into my posession, although I’m sure there’s a rational explanation…

Posted: 04 August 2009 10:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  184
Joined  2007-02-03

So Spartak =—/~~~~ ? smile

Posted: 05 August 2009 06:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-03

[quote author=“reactorlgtn”]

I’ve got a single by them. Seem to remember the b-side being rather fine, but I don’t remember the songs right now? Don’t even remember how this came into my posession, although I’m sure there’s a rational explanation…

They only got the one single, they came and they went without anyone noticing, apart from the nice people from Vinyl Magazine apparently :D

Signature 

Welcome To The Sheep Pen

<strong><strong>

3 of 3

The Dugites ?      |     Another bootleg... ››